Stihl 180 or 210

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted the below question on a different section of the site and was requested to move it to here for more information:

I'm looking at two saws, the Stihl MS 180 C-BE and the MS 210. I'm new to chainsaws but my research and dealer conversations have lead me to one of these two. The 180 has the easy start and easy bar adjustment bells and whistles while the 210 is your basic saw with no extras. The 180 has a 14 inch bar while the 210 has a little bigger engine and a 16 inch bar. I recently found out that they both produce the same HP......

:censored:

OK, I sort of promised.......:censored:

...but it is pretty hard ....... :taped: :taped:

I would definitely add the 250 would not be wrong. The $50 difference will not matter in the long run. I've carried a 250 around my property all weekend without ever thinking that it was heavy. I have a 028 and a 310, and when it comes to cleanup after a storm, I almost always reach for the 250. Get a 14" bar on it since you said 12" was the biggest wood you have to cut. I think they usually sell it with a 16" bar and chain. Maybe they can give you $5-$10 back on the smaller one. A little extra power and reduced weight will be good.

As far as safety goes, others have talked about PPE, but the most important ppe is between your ears. Stay out of the kickback zone always, and always know where your bar is at, and what it is doing. Keep the chain sharp, dull chains lead to frustration, and frustration leads to mistakes. And always be aware of widowmakers. They are all over the place after a storm at my place.

I'll put in my vote for the 180. I have one, and it cuts surprisingly well. The thing is light as a feather. If it were me, I'd skip the easy start crap. That offsets some of the lightweight, and the 180 pulls over easily without it. Mine does have the quick chain adjuster, and it works well. Buy the stripped 180, and a couple of extra chains with the $ you saved.

options, options, too many options!

Nothing against the Husky's, I'd like to stick with Stihls because I like the dealer (and the company I work with deals with them for our generator servicing).

I'll have to check with them to see what their price on the MS250 is.

The other thing I'm concerned with is safety. Since this will be my first chainsaw, and it will not be used a great deal, I want to make sure I get one I can learn on easily and won't get into trouble with. That said, would it be better to have a saw with a little less power? I own a lot of power tools and have experience with power tools but I've worked as a safety manager for two different large companys so I'm always thinking that way out of habit.

I was in your shoes about 8 months ago.. I bought my 1st saw wich was the 180 only because they were out of the 210's.. I didn't want anything to big because it was my 1st.. Looking back I wish I would have gone with a 290 or a 361.. I'll probably end up getting a 361 before fall or atleast next spring

I was in your shoes about 8 months ago.. I bought my 1st saw wich was the 180 only because they were out of the 210's.. I didn't want anything to big because it was my 1st.. Looking back I wish I would have gone with a 290 or a 361.. I'll probably end up getting a 361 before fall or atleast next spring

I have a 290 and would recommend that you spend the extra money and get either a 260 or 361. I wish that my dealer had enlightened me.:censored:

210 has metal dogs; 180 has plastic dogs

The 180 actually has metal dos, the 170 is plastic. I like my 180, it cuts surprisingly fast, and is super light. I picked mine up for $199.

attachment.php

son has a 180 in his lawn service. another friend has 180 also.
Both with the narrow chain will keep up to a big saw up to maybe 8 inch wood. And super light handling, very nimble. Nice saw to trim.

don't know about durability, neither of these get used more than 5 hours a year.

180 here runs about $180 last month.

don't know about teh 210

I have quick caps and quick chain adjust on larger stihl. Caps are nice, quite durable, bit finicky to get aligned. I would get those again.

Quick chain adjust is flexy and not very confidence inspiring for durability. I would not go that route again. It was on the saw, not my preference. Climb saw, yes may be nice. Ground saw, I would get the old reliable scrench adjust.

k

Back