stihl 260 vs 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll find lots of information about these two saws by searching the Arborsite archives. The MS260 is an older design and is no longer produced, but is a great piece of engineering with a proven track record. I have one, and it's my go-to saw. The newer MS261, although heavier, is even better, with better filtration, power, captive clutch cover nuts, and other improvements.

They are the same class (50cc) but the 261 is a totally different design. Stihl replaced the MS260 in their lineup with the MS261. The MS260 was the latest variant of the 026. The 026/MS260 were built for a quite a while, I think they started in the early 90s or so.

You can read all you want about the 261 on the Stihl website as its a current model.

261 has more torque and 10x better air filtration. I sold two 260's to buy a new 261. If your near Knoxville, I've got one you can run.

Thanks for the info. I have a 260 pro that i got used for a really good deal and I'm happy with it. I wasnt looking to buy a new saw right now just wondering about the 261. Yes ptjeep I am near knoxville.

I've had 2 026s and really enjoyed them but sold them both. One to the neighbor and one to buy a 441c. I have a 361 and the 441c and my next saw will be a 50cc saw just not sure if I will get something different or stick with stihl. I have good dolmar jonnie and stihl dealer support. Just really waiting for the m tronic model to come out.

Latest posts

Back