Stihl 271 & 291 available

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has seen this. The Stihl 271 & 291 are online on the German homepage.

http://www.stihl.de/saegen-fuer-landwirtschaft-und-gartenbau.aspx

M-MS271-L001_p4.jpg

M-MS291-L001_p2.jpg

"modular" versions of the 261, like the 391, and 311 to the 362.

This time it looks like the weight of one of them (the 291) is an improvement, as long as you avoid the version with all the add-on "homeowner" features.

The 271 looks like a totally superfluous model.....:popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited:
Thanks for the post 7sleeper. Tried to rep you for the info, but you are in my 'rep-holding pattern'.

I asked the local STIHL rep at the State Fair why it takes so long for the newer models to be introduced in the US. Despite all the sniping at US EPA rules, he said that the European rules are stricter in some ways. He said that over there, each saw must meet emissions requirements, while in the US, it is averaged out over the total product line sold.

So if STIHL sells a bunch of low emissions products (including brush trimmers, etc.), they can still sell some of the older, less environmentally friendly saw models. I guess that means if you like the older style saws (260, 361, 440, 460, etc.) buy them while you can. If you like the newer versions, be patient and they should show up on US shelves within a year or so.

Philbert

If a saw could be called "sexy", those would be it. Great job Stihl!!:rock:

When did 12.3 lbs for a 50cc saw become "sexy"????? :confused:

.....more like :cry::cry:

:poke::buttkick:

They look good though, except the clutch-side part of the plastic handlebar, that reminds me of much cheaper "homeowner" saws!

I don't have a problem with a plastic handlebar or any weight discussions. What I find disturbing is that there is no quick release system for the airfilter cover. Looks like some stupid screws in plastic! I am a Stihl fan although I only posess a 180, but this is really antiquitated that they believe their airfiltration is so perfect as to negate easy cleaning!
As usual the discussion is leaning to hp/weight blah blah for a farmer saw! This is really slowly getting rediculous, that some people here see their area of discussion limited only to numbers. This has been their path for so long I believe that the path is determening their thinking. They are not free anymore to explore other ideas.

Oh well good night to all,

What I find disturbing is that there is no quick release system for the airfilter cover.

I disliked that as well. I think that it is only a 1/4 turn screw to release, and it has to do with sealing the area around the air filter better. But I do like the tool-less covers better.

Was surprised that STIHL was not even consistent on this - using the screws on some of the new covers and the plastic spring clips (which I like even less) on others.

Philbert

I disliked that as well. I think that it is only a 1/4 turn screw to release, and it has to do with sealing the area around the air filter better. But I do like the tool-less covers better.

Was surprised that STIHL was not even consistent on this - using the screws on some of the new covers and the plastic spring clips (which I like even less) on others.

Philbert

They share that design with the "pro" models, as far as I know (261 and 362), but I don't think it is an issue, before it has been proven to be!

They probably didn't want to copy more Husky features than they had to! :laugh::laugh::rockn:

I got to look under the cover of both the 271 and 291. They are both nearly identical looking to the 261. They are both clamshell saws, with the 291 simply having 55cc where as the 271 has 50cc. They share the same airfilter as the 261, at least it looks like it. I guess there won't be a 281?

I got to look under the cover of both the 271 and 291. They are both nearly identical looking to the 261. They are both clamshell saws, with the 291 simply having 55cc where as the 271 has 50cc. They share the same airfilter as the 261, at least it looks like it. I guess there won't be a 281?

Did you happen to find out what they were going for? I assume in the $400 range

The 291 actually looks more like a replacement for the 280 than for the 290 - I guess it really replaces both - and couldn't care less, really! :laugh::laugh:

Latest posts

Back