Stihl 271 & 291 available

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This time it looks like the weight of one of them (the 291) is an improvement, as long as you avoid the version with all the add-on "homeowner" features.

The 271 looks like a totally superfluous model.....:popcorn::popcorn:

We will wait and see when we can actually handle them. As you well know sometimes what the specs differs greatly with Real World huh.

We will wait and see when we can actually handle them. As you well know sometimes what the specs differs greatly with Real World huh.

Yep, but not in a direction that will make the 271 worth buying! ;)

I don't see the point with that model, and obviously Stihl Norway isn't either, as it is missing from the 2011 catalog.

Find attached the TI for the 271 and 291. I don't see a problem posting this in open forum as it is really a kind of promo anyway but if anyone does i will remove it.

The info is easy to find anyway, so why should it be a problem?

We are not supposed to post links to copyrighted material in open forum. I presume it is copyrighted. We wouldn't need the Beg for Manuals forum otherwise.

We are not supposed to post links to copyrighted material in open forum. I presume it is copyrighted. We wouldn't need the Beg for Manuals forum otherwise.

That is not about specs, but for some odd reason Stihl is very "tight" about IPLs, Workshop manuals and service updates......:doh:

So the cover screws are quick release, 1/4 turn. That's cool. I wondered about that when I first saw them too. Screws seemed like a step backward, but these are probably fine. You just have to be sure to have that scrench handy! I can't see them doing it on the pro saws though.

I don't have a problem with a plastic handlebar or any weight discussions. What I find disturbing is that there is no quick release system for the air filter cover. Looks like some stupid screws in plastic! ....... but this is really antiquated that they believe their air filtration is so perfect as to negate easy cleaning! ........

They aren't plastic screws. They're 1/4 turn aluminum captured "clips". they can be opened with either a scrench or a coin.
I want to believe Stihl went to these because it protects the air filter better since the air intake comes from behind the flywheel.

I was skeptical too until I bought my 362. Once I saw them 1st hand, I understood them better.

I love the look of those saws;
other than that, I can`t find a reason to own one.
the 271 is overpriced, overweighted, underpowered.
for exactly 600Euro you can get a 346XP with extra b/c

I do apologize for the 346 comparison but it is what I think.
cheers.

We sell the bulk of our saws in this 50-60cc range, and as long as there is logical price bracket for the saw they'll sell. This mid range home owner firewood cutter price is a huge factor in weather or not a saw sells. The MS270 sold great at 399$, but when they bumped it up to 440$ it fell off dramatically, same with the MS280 at 479$ sold 20+ per year, now at 509$ sell 5 per year. All the 270, and 280 sales have switched to 290's and 260's at 379$ and 519$. Or guys who were looking at 280's are also buying a lot of MS311's at 489$. But if they structure the 261, 271, and 291 pricing like the 311, 362, 391 they'll sell well.

Latest posts

Back