Stihl 290 vs 55 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonsmith

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, I have another post for the experts. I have a 55 Rancher(3/8), my friend just bought a 290 Super Farm Boss(.325), both have 20 inch bars. Which one is going to perform the best? I think they are pretty close but he seems to think not. Which one would cut the fastest? I have owned a few chainsaws, but this is the first "good" saw I have bought but I have never used a Stihl. I am looking for opinions and comments. Thanks

The .325 chain takes smaller chips and doesn't load the motor as much as 3/8. I think the 290 will win this one but I think it would be a different story if you had .325 on the Husky. Oh yeah, I'm no expert.

Kinda like racing a Dodge Caravan against a Ford Aerostar. Sure, one will win, but who cares?

OK give it an edge. Take all internal baffles out of the muffler, do't forget to open up the front outlet. Pull the limiters and adj for power in the cut. Get a SHARP chain, Square grind it. Pull motor , put in 039 bottom end. Make sure exhaust port opens completely. But keep the revs down to spec or you will have pieces.

Anybody figured out I have no idea what I am talking about yet?
Step 2 send it to KD.

The 55 Husky is by far the better built saw, but the Stihl will probably out cut it since it is a bigger saw. Later Butch

I think you can take him in softwoods. I think he can take you in hardwoods. It's going to depend on the care given to the chain and the operators familiarity with his saw.
Don't race him till your saw is properly broken in.

It is not an apples to apples comparison, a 359 would be a better match, but that wouldn't be equal either, the 359 would probably blow away the Stihl.

Stihl only has three saws, the 026, 046 and 066.

Last edited:
The better operator with the sharpest chain will win. Everyone looks at HP before knowing how to properly sharpen a chain, but the chain is the secret. I could beat Gypo's 37.634 HP 088 with his rocked-out chain using my stock 026, after I touch up the chain. :p

Latest posts

Back