stihl 440/460 hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much. But if you port your hybrid you could run an 8-pin rim and a 25-inch B&C. You could also run a 28-inch B&C and 8-pin on the ported 660 with no problem. Up from there and I'd fall back to the 7-pin.

The only times I run skip is when I'm using 36 inch or longer bars. Long bars and deep cuts, skip is best for clearing chips.

Pretty sure the 880 takes a bigger mount bar than the 660. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong. My 660s have only ever worn 3/8, and that chain cuts like crazy.

Thanks for all the good advice.Really helping me to decide.
Think I will sell the 088,090(4' b&c)and a couple of shiny new chinese saws that I have-all stuff that i'm never likely to use any more.
Keep the two 660's,and buy a decent ported 440/460 hybrid(getting the impression they have more torque than ported 372/372xpw's).Hopefully this will be the best choice for my circumstances.
Also go ahead with the p&c conversion on the 440 I already have-cheap to do,also thinking might not be best plan to send this one off for porting given it's age(2003 though still on original p&c.)
Better get busy selling those unwanted saws,hard to justify having too many,trying to stay disciplined and sell before I buy-not easy!!!

...Pretty sure the 880 takes a bigger mount bar than the 660. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong. My 660s have only ever worn 3/8, and that chain cuts like crazy.

Yes 088/880 use the 3002 mount 066/660 uses the 3003 mount.

Thanks for all the good advice.Really helping me to decide.
Think I will sell the 088,090(4' b&c)and a couple of shiny new chinese saws that I have-all stuff that i'm never likely to use any more......

Wish I had the coin for that one....

dw

Yes 088/880 use the 3002 mount 066/660 uses the 3003 mount.

Wish I had the coin for that one....

dw
Bit of a beast.Could bury the 4' bar in big hardwoods no problems.Not fast,but just keeps pulling.
Pity you're not local to me,may have been able to do a deal on something.
You'll find one someday,got mine from two firewood blokes-too big for them,they just wanted rid of it.

Bit of a beast.Could bury the 4' bar in big hardwoods no problems.Not fast,but just keeps pulling.
Pity you're not local to me,may have been able to do a deal on something.
You'll find one someday,got mine from two firewood blokes-too big for them,they just wanted rid of it.

Yea, I have a contact that has 4 090's plus a Contra Lightning. Offered one of the 090's up for sale, but didn't price it, and w/out the cash I was afraid to ask had he said oh $500 or so.,.. I would chite myself.

I'm going to ask soon as i get a little mad-money to burn. I'll never use it likely, just make a shelf queen out the ol' girl but wowsers :)

dw

Yea, I have a contact that has 4 090's plus a Contra Lightning. Offered one of the 090's up for sale, but didn't price it, and w/out the cash I was afraid to ask had he said oh $500 or so.,.. I would chite myself.

I'm going to ask soon as i get a little mad-money to burn. I'll never use it likely, just make a shelf queen out the ol' girl but wowsers :)

dw

Know what you mean.Every chance he'll still have it when you're good and ready.

Back