Stihl 441 and 460 comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Knight

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am looking for bigger saw for bucking firewood. I have narrowed the search to the Stihl 441 and 460. The 460 has more HP, is the same weight , and is really not much more expensive than the 441 ($70). I am curious why Stihl introduced the 441. I assume that when price and weight are equal, guys will always buy the more powerful saw. So, what does Stihl know that about this saw that I don't? What is special about the 441? Engine technology? Fuel consumption? Anti-vibration technology?

Ultimately, what is the advantage to buying the 441 over the 460?

I am looking for bigger saw for bucking firewood. I have narrowed the search to the Stihl 441 and 460. The 460 has more HP, is the same weight , and is really not much more expensive than the 441 ($70). I am curious why Stihl introduced the 441. I assume that when price and weight are equal, guys will always buy the more powerful saw. So, what does Stihl know that about this saw that I don't? What is special about the 441? Engine technology? Fuel consumption? Anti-vibration technology?

Ultimately, what is the advantage to buying the 441 over the 460?

The 441 will be a much smoother saw to run as far as the vibration goes and it will just sip fuel compared to the 460... but as for mods there is a lot more you can do to the 460. I'm old school I would take the 460 over the 441 but that's just my .02 good luck I'm sure you will be happy with either saw.

There isnt an advantage,in fact a lot of people on here dont like the 441.Buy the 460 it's a great saw.

Hit the search and you'll find lots from people who have the 441. Some really like it, some really don't. Everybody likes their 460, though.

The 441 is supposed to have better anti-vibe, better filtration, use less gas, be more modern, etc. But I'm just paroting what I've read here on that. Never used one.

What I KNOW about the 460, is it's a fantastic saw. Great power/torque, can handle long bars well, absolutely rips with a shorter bar. It's easy to get even more power with the addition of a dual port muffler cover. The 460 is my usual go-to saw.

You will just have to try them both to see what you like. I have a 441 and really like it, they are very efficient saws, have great anti-vibe, and are the next generation in saw technology. The 460 is a great saw also, like I say, try and use them both and see what YOU like.

Just hurry up and get a 460, or all you will be able to get s a 461.:dizzy:

You will just have to try them both to see what you like. I have a 441 and really like it, they are very efficient saws, have great anti-vibe, and are the next generation in saw technology. The 460 is a great saw also, like I say, try and use them both and see what YOU like.

While it's true that the 441 is the "next generation" of technology, it really should be called a "more compliant" technology. They're being forced by the EPA. Catalytic converters don't make a car better, just more compliant. But then with newer, you do get better anti-vibe and filtration in the deal.

The 460 is a very thirsty saw. But when it's ready for a drink, I usually am too. Truth is, the 441 is the newbie and it's hard to compete with the lengendary 044/046. It's kind of like the "I like my old reliable easy-to-work-on truck better than the new-fangled ones" mentality, even if the newer trucks will ultimately turn out to be even more reliable.

If I was logging I would probably take the 460. For firewood I greatly prefer the 441. It's so much smoother and easier on fuel Not to mention that it has a much filtration system.

I doubt you could find any difference in cutting speed with a 20" bar. The 441 is just as fast until the bars get longer and the wood bigger.

I really like the 460, even more so than the 440.

Latest posts

Back