Stihl 460 as next saw? Advice needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's nice of the dealer to let you use it for the weekend. What are they asking for it? I agree with davefr, I would step up to a 460 ,650 or 660.

I have a 650 with a dual port cover, and it is night and day compared to my 440 in wood over 24". I rarely use my 650, but it's nice to have.:)

I know the debate over the 650/660, but if you are not using it professionally, it is worth a look. It offers a lot of bang for the buck in my opinion.
Thanks. I will be considering the bigger saws as well.

I have a great dealer. Lets me demo anything that he sells. I spend a lot of money there though :dizzy: , so it is a mutual benefit to both :)

I have no pricing yet. I'm even thinking that if it works out, and get a good price on it, I can get a 660 down the road :) :)

Very well said, the 361 is good up to 18-20" but after that the 440 will walk all over it.

And the 460 will walk all over the 440. And the 660 will walk all over the 460. It's an endless cycle.

Saws are like bracket creap. You want to keep edging up in HP and weight until you get over the edge and then you end up with a gap in your lineup that has to be filled.

Last edited:
And the 460 will walk all over the 440. And the 660 will walk all over the 460. It's and endless cycle. Pick the number of saws you're willing to have and the wood types.

Saws are like bracket creep. You want to keep edging up in HP and weight until you get over the edge.

The 440 and 460 are pretty close I think. Now the 460 vs. 660 is right...

Looking at a 460 also w/ a 25" bar to start. For Professional use, what bar/chain combo do you all recommend?

I have a 036 and a 460. Both have muffler mods. The 460 is a noticeable step up from a 036. I run a 28" bar on the 460 and a 25" on the 036. My 084 is a giant step up from the 460, but who wants to carry it around. After around 10 tanks of fuel and a dual port cover/carb adjust the 460 really picked up in power.

Looking at a 460 also w/ a 25" bar to start. For Professional use, what bar/chain combo do you all recommend?

25" would be great. I keep a 25" on the 440 and 460 but thinking of getting a reduced weight 28" for the 460. Those are some expensive bars.:cry: For chain go with RSC, not many, if any chains are better than Stihl's.

I originally got a Stihl 460 with a 32" bar for cutting the big stuff we have in Oregon. But I quickly learned I could buck small stuff on the ground without bending over! Saves my back...

So I now mostly use this saw and bar for everything big or small. I have another 460 with a 36" bar and that works fine to cut even bigger stuff. I use full skip square ground (chisel) chains on both saws.

The 36" bar is a bit long to lug around. I prefer the 32" bar.

Speaking of MS460, how long will it stick around?

Is end of life imminent like the MS440?

I run a 28" bar on a muffler modded 046. My 460 has a 24" bar and is on the bench getting a new top end at the moment.

IMO 24"-32" bar and full comp chisel chain a 046/460 will cut great with no power issues in hardwood.

32" bar and back injuries

Sisters State Forestry folks had a stat about how they essentially ended back injuries on their thinning crew by going to 32" bars exclusively.
I believe that.

I've been running a 28" recently and need to get back to a 32.

I'm no expert, but I would get the 440 or 441. They are nice and nimble; and you can buy two sets of bars, one short 20" and then whatever the max is.

I'd buy the 460. Mine is my Goto saw.

But if I could get a 440, I'd buy it now.

And then buy the 460 before 2010 :cheers:

So maybe I should consider stepping up to a 28" bar on the 460. Will it pull that bar good through hardwood? I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to go "too big" (I know I'll get flamed for that comment) :) and loose the versatility of the 460. Maybe a 660 next year w/ a real long bar...

update

Hey All.

Just an update from some of my original postings.

My friendly neighborhood Stihl dealer had dropped off that used 440 with 28" bar for me to try. He left it here for a week and a half. Nice guy :)

Great saw. My 036 runs pretty good, and I'm very happy with it, but the 440 certainly had more grunt, and it was nice to try out the longer bar. All in all it was a good trial.

He wants $500 for the 440, but I think I would prefer a new 460 just to get a little more separation from the 036.

I have a birthday coming up, so I'll let you know how it goes. (Oct 3, in case you want to send me a card, or chain, or bar, or something :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back