Stihl 460 Muffler mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkchopper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for some pics of modified and walkerized mufflers. I priced a dual port factory muffler #1128 140 0616 here at home and dealer quoted me 61.95. Sounds high to me. What is the best way to go? What rpms should I be turnin in the cut?

Welcome to AS Porkchopper.

There is a factory cover, it should cost around $20 or so, a whole new muffler shouldnt be required, I've heard that the cover does well enough, just make sure to richen up that carb, or you'll have a burnt up saw.

Try this thread, it'll give you some answers easily Here

I dont know about the RPMs this saw should be running in the cut, since I dont have an 046 but I hear its a brilliant saw.

Thanks for the reply. I have the part number for just the cover but haven't checked on pricing yet. I also have a ms170 I would like to light a fire in.

Well, the 046 is clearly a pro saw, while the MS170, is a homeowners saw.
To improve the 170s performance, I dont know there is much that can be done, maybe I'm wrong.

Run diesel in the 046 and alky with 20% nitro in the 017 and the 017 will run hands down.:p

I had an 018 I bought for my wife. Thought it might get her to let me buy more saws.....I thought wrong. Anyways I opened up the muffler on it an it woke it up a little. I timed it stock and it made a cut in around 9 seconds (smaller wood). I opened up the muffler and it did the same cut in around 7.5 seconds. You won't make a race winner out of it but more power an longevity can be had. I would run it at 32:1 with synthetic but that is my opinion. That horse is a bloody pulp by now.

I was just kidding around about the 170. I will probably open up the muffler on it and I won't expect much improvement. The 460 is what will gain from modifications. I want it to stay reliable though. I wish someone had a pic of one of those walker mufflers.

I'd go with the factory dual-port cover since that way you'll have screens in place and you might not get kicked out of some places.  I've got them on the saws which accept them; no way I'd take the other option even if there was a chance of better performance with it (it can't be that much better anyway even if it is at all).

Glen

The factory dual port is probably the way I will go if my local Stihl dealer can get me one. I went by there today and he looked it up and told me he would not be able to check on ordering one until Monday.

All I use on Stihl's is the dual port muffler, it works well, ported or not ported

Originally posted by Porkchopper
I was just kidding around about the 170. I will probably open up the muffler on it and I won't expect much improvement.

Watch out if the 170 doesn't have a high speed screw or you'll cook it if you cant richen it up.
Van

Latest posts

Back