Stihl 460 or 461?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John S

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Been lurking here for a while, now need to make a post and get some info! I'm looking to buy either of these two and wondered if there is really much difference in them? Been a Stihl guy for 40yrs and need to upgrade a bit as my old 051 is getting too heavy! Will run a 25" bar on it and will eventually get it ported. Will most likely put a dual port muffler on it right away. Any comments appreciated.

no body complains about running a ported 460.
nobody complains about running a ported 461.
people get downright giddy about running a ported 461CM

how many giddy dollars ya got in your pocket and how long is your arm to reach them ?
find one of the porters, have him purchase the saw for you and port it then send it up to you. cheaper in the long run if thats the long term plan.

edited: 461 Cm only gets ported in my dreams.... :( as thats where it exists still...

I had the same thread going recently, from what I gather basically the same saw, displacement is displacement. I ended up getting a ported 461 and could not be any happier.

What you want to use it for and how hard you want to push it, will tell you which one. If you're falling trees, MS461R. If you're primarily bucking, MS460.
BUT you have to get that thing ported if you want to be a member in this ELITE club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I own both. Get the 461 I've never been this impressed with a stock saw. Not to crazy heavy an does well with a 20"-36" bar. Get the R model and it comes with a wrap handle abdthe high output oiler. The 460 is a nice saw also just depends how much you want to spend.

Thanks everyone for the info, guess a 461 will be what I end up with unless a really good deal turns up on a 460. It'll see use both felling and bucking, unless I just have to break out the 051 for the fun of it!

I love them both, but I just sold my ms461r, because they still make them, and it was worth a lot more than my ms460.

Point is, you'll be happier with either one, but if you find a nice used ms460, it may be more worth the money.

The 461 might be easier to get as the local Stihl dealer probably has one on the shelf. A nice clean low hour 460 is getting harder and harder to find around here.

But I have one that you just sold me, no need to look to hard, its in the back of my truck.... it will get uglier daily. I have my stock ms460, sticking close to the shelf or in the case, to savor.

Who sells these already ported and ready to go? I know Wicked sells the Huskqvarna models with woods porting done, but I've not seen an ad for a Stihl like that.

Who sells these already ported and ready to go? I know Wicked sells the Huskqvarna models with woods porting done, but I've not seen an ad for a Stihl like that.
Contact the builder you are looking to use. A couple (especially the ones that build/port lots of new saws.... ;)) can buy a new Stihl on your behalf, void the warranty, and send it your way.

Also, consider a 28" ES Light bar for the saw. On the 460/461 it's about as perfect of a match as they get. A good bit lighter than the 25" too.

Latest posts

Back