Stihl 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WTF........if you guys are paying that I spose we'll be expected to shell out $2000....................................................................

Thanks for posting the pics for me. I don't know what they will cost down there. All I can say is mine is worth the money to me. It is only the third saw I bought new. I will tell you all about the AT Saturday. That is when the shop said bring her back to be looked over. It is the first one that the sales rep has sold. I know the shop had 3 of them mine and one other were spoken for. I think the other one is sold already.

Yes, but the AT itself wasn't a among the updates.
Yes there were AT troubles, service bulletins and up dates. AT carbs and AT coils for one. For a guy that toots the husky horn, I thought you were better informed. You bragged how Stihl bought the AT system from Husky, funny how Stihl has had very little trouble with that system. I would have been just as open if it was the other way around. I don.t get paid from either company to constantly beat their drum.

Yes there were AT troubles, service bulletins and up dates. AT carbs and AT coils for one. For a guy that toots the husky horn, I thought you were better informed. You bragged how Stihl bought the AT system from Husky, funny how Stihl has had very little trouble with that system. I would have been just as open if it was the other way around. I don.t get paid from either company to constantly beat their drum.

I am well informed, don't worry about that! :D

Coils and carb, yes - AT itself, NO.

Yes, but the AT itself wasn't a among the updates.

That is correct. However.... As I understand it the AT system would shut the saw down when it got out of range due to other issues. This required a trip to the dealer, many of which were not schooled on the saw. Not a very good way to gain market acceptance with a new technology. I'd vote for a manual brain reset button on all of the saws with computer chips, but I doubt the EPA would go for that.

Not sure which distributor your 661 came from but I was at the dealership today and my dealer was informed by Northeast Stihl that it would be at least until the first of the year before they would be available on the east side of the country.

NE Stihl covers a huge area, much bigger than one would realize, therefore their warehouse and stock on hand are both impressive.

The new products are released once old stock on hand has been sold out as I have been informed.

I am looking to get a 661 myself, from what I have been told, it is worth the wait involved.

It is spring, and they added a vertical spring in the front for support when running longer bars. :). All US 661s are supposed to be M-Tronic, though a carb version is rumored to be out for some foreign markets. 661 M-Tronic has more parameters then previous versions. I posted about it last week on the "alternate site."
There are several of those....;)

NE Stihl covers a huge area, much bigger than one would realize, therefore their warehouse and stock on hand are both impressive.

The new products are released once old stock on hand has been sold out as I have been informed.

I am looking to get a 661 myself, from what I have been told, it is worth the wait involved.

I was also informed that if I wanted a west coast saw (large sprocket cover, wrap handle etc ) I couldn't get one in that configuration.....I would have to order the parts separately. Why does Stihl do that. Anyone should be able to order any saw configuration available in that country. BS on Stihl's part.

I would like to know how well the oiler keeps up with a 36" bar. My old 660, wide-open, did not oil the bar near as well as the 395's and 9010's do. If they've improved that to at least being equal to the others, then another cream-sickle it is!!!

The other question for me is whether it would respond to muffler mods the way a 550, 562 or 576at does? If so then That would be something else. Better balance, AV and AT are just iving on an already delicious cake.

I would like to know how well the oiler keeps up with a 36" bar. My old 660, wide-open, did not oil the bar near as well as the 395's and 9010's do. If they've improved that to at least being equal to the others, then another cream-sickle it is!!!
I think there's an issue with your oiler. My 660 spits lots of oil and my 36" bar is getting enough

Latest posts

Back