Stihl 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
661 has a new oil system that they claim will gush when cranked up. Targeted for Oz and west coast long bars:

The new oil pump system enables the oil flow to be increased, which is particularly advantageous when working in dusty conditions or when using longer guide bars.

Someone needs to post up a picture of the available options for the 661 - FROM THE STIHL 2014 Book!

I would but my dealer hasn't received their 14' book yet :(

Chadihman if you would please post the videos. AV is great, Balance is awesome with a 25" as well as my 32" bars. I did cut some big knotty beach today. Hot knife through butter. Ran the 32" bar better than the 25". I might mention that with a 25" I was running a 8 pin and with the 32" I dropped to a 7 pin. Will run the 7 pin on a 25" bar tomorrow. I turn up all my oilers to max. I can shoot oil 2 feet past my 32" bar with no problem. When I switched chains and bars the whole chains were coated in oil. No problems there.

Ray

Sounds a lot like a husky. Just wish they were available here so I could handle one.

I think there's an issue with your oiler. My 660 spits lots of oil and my 36" bar is getting enough

No, the 660 oiler is insufficient. Mine turned a 36" bar blue and the sprocket would no longer turn it got so hot. The chain was almost frozen in the rails it got so hot. I ordered and installed the high output oiler but haven't used it yet. I was using Oregon chain, but it shouldn't matter. The 660 oiler is stingy, the specs are not even close to what a Husky oiler pumps out.

No, the 660 oiler is insufficient. Mine turned a 36" bar blue and the sprocket would no longer turn it got so hot. The chain was almost frozen in the rails it got so hot. I ordered and installed the high output oiler but haven't used it yet. I was using Oregon chain, but it shouldn't matter. The 660 oiler is stingy, the specs are not even close to what a Husky oiler pumps out.

Yep that's spot on. I had a 41" bar that I ran on a 660 with the HO oiler and a 395. The 395 had the chain wet. The 660 kept it oiled enough it didn't stick but the drive links weren't wet. It sounds like they listened to the complaints on here and made the oiler flow better.

Our distributor who services most of the mid-west has 150 660's left in the warehouse before we get the 661, can't wait until they are gone, we have logger's waiting on the 661.
According to our distributor Stihl has never licensed Husky AT technology, Stihl was the first to use it using one solenoid on the MS 280 platform and then going to two solenoids on the current CM platforms, that is why Stihl has had no issues with the CM's as compared to Huskies learning curve with the AT. With Zama being the primary carb supplier today, Stihl gets to see the performance parameters of their competitors platforms way before they hit the market, since Stihl owns Zama.
The 1 series as in the new 251/271/291/461 all show great improvement over their previous platforms, can't wait to get my hands on a 661. Loggers who have bought the 461 say it cuts right with the old 650's. In a conversation with a local Husky dealer who comes in to buy Stihl repair parts stated in the last Husky tech class, held within the last month Husky stated they have finally fleshed out all the issues with the AT platform, I can't speak for AT's but we have yet to see one M-tronic saw come in with any issues.
We have hooked a couple up to run diagnostic's on them just for the practice, which is e-z pz to do, and you can do a manual reset on the M-tronics as well.

anyone know the available configs for the 661 ? meaning are they offering a 661 and a 661c-m version ? And the 660s are completely discontinued as soon as supply runs out?

661CM and 661CM with heated handles are the options I have seen so far.

Would think a wrap version will be available at some point.

660 will be history

Standard version, Arctic, and wrap handle on the west coast. All m-tronic. After his trip to Germany my dealer says that all of Stihls pro saws will likely be M-tronic in the next 2 yrs.

Latest posts

Back