Stihl bar mount filing tool?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can mount a square file in tool holder, but it will not work.

so the answer is no..

can you explain more?

thanks, serg

Serg,
It is the very best of round file guides but it doesn't have enough adjustment to use sq files, even if you made an adapter for it like I did for the Granberg style guide it just doesn't have the "swing" to do sq filing. I have called Stihl and talked to them about this, sence it is such a nice guide, but I don't see it ever being changed.

Later,

Serg,
It is the very best of round file guides but it doesn't have enough adjustment to use sq files, even if you made an adapter for it like I did for the Granberg style guide it just doesn't have the "swing" to do sq filing. I have called Stihl and talked to them about this, sence it is such a nice guide, but I don't see it ever being changed.

Later,

thanks Larry, it doesnt surprise me that Stihl wont listen :monkey:

so when will your adapters be available to buy for the Granberg? do you think your square/Granberg is better than the Atop?

also regarding the Atop, will there be a hardwood version and a softwood version?

Serg

thanks Larry, it doesnt surprise me that Stihl wont listen :monkey:

I'm only one little voice and they are #1 in the world haha.

so when will your adapters be available to buy for the Granberg?

I loaned mine to a member here for him to copy and try to bring to market, then he disappeared. I plan to get it back and sell it on an auction to help out an up comming GTG but I got to get up with the guy first.

do you think your square/Granberg is better than the Atop?

It depends on what you want to do with it, the big + on the A-top is anyone can just pick it up and start sq filing, it's dirt simple, as there is no adjustment. The Granberg conversion is alot more complcated to use but there is no angle it can't file.

also regarding the Atop, will there be a hardwood version and a softwood version?

Serg

I'm not really sure, Goran has mentioned 2 or even 4 different models, but it's due out in Oct, so I guess we are about to find out.

Some old Nygran (Granberg) were made to accept the sq file but are not very adjustable, the A-top which is not adjustable at all but the angles that it uses were chosen by some of the best minds in sq filing, or convert your new Granberg style guide (everybody seems to offer one) and you can sq file any conceivable angle, that is your choices for sq file guides as of right now.

Later,

Last edited:
what sort of machinary would be needed to reproduce your set up?

surely it could be farmed out to a machine shop?

or maybe contact Granberg, Oregon or even Cartlon......

i will be looking very closely at your auction :clap:

thanks, Serg

Serg,
The one I copied was homemade back in the 60s and I'm sure it worked just as good as mine, I don't know who made it but Dennis Cahoon owns it now.
squarejig001.jpg

this is an old Nygran that accepts a sq file and will sq file a chain, it's just not very adjustable.

squarejig002.jpg

I copied these pictures from some old threads of Dennis's

Last edited:
what sort of machinary would be needed to reproduce your set up?

surely it could be farmed out to a machine shop?

or maybe contact Granberg, Oregon or even Cartlon......

i will be looking very closely at your auction :clap:

thanks, Serg

The Oregon Pro Filing Jig, the Oregon grinders and the several others that are identical and sold under various names are made in Italy by Tecomec.
Maybe approaching them would be the best bet for a square filing attachment.
It looks like they make a lot of the accessory gear for the various saw companies. I tend to think the tools that came with my new saw, or at least some of them are Tecomec as they are branded Made in Italy too.

http://www2.tecomec.it/Database/tecomec/tecomec.nsf/0/164CDA6F4833ADD1C1256EE1002E099F?OpenDocument

Thats a good plan! Wonder if they make the Stihl guide, it's on page 44 of this catalog that is an awsome guide, it just doesn't swing left to right enough, or rotate a sq file, sure would be the ultimate if it did!

Later,

Last edited:
try the link i added in the first post.

Serg

Serg,

Yea, thats it, I really like the bench mounted one (you can get a close up in the catalog), if it tilted more to the left and right, I'd own 3.

Another thing about the converted Granberg style, it's great for rakers to.

Later,

Last edited:
granberg style converted to file square is a giant PITA!

yes it can be done... but at what price... by the time you fool around setting it up and getting it just rite for one direction. then you've got to lose all your settings switching to other direction.

a major PITA! ... now if one has two converted granberg's ...one for each direction, that might work.

after spending effort figuring out how to square file with a granberg, then figuring out how to file a nice sharp tooth by hand.... I almost gave up on using square chain... yes I liked it... cut really fast... but couldn't bear to spend 15-20+ minutes per chain.

that all changed after I lucked out and scored a Simington 450 square grinder. now with a Simington 450 and a Silvey 300 round grinder... got all my chains covered.

granberg style converted to file square is a giant PITA!

yes it can be done... but at what price... by the time you fool around setting it up and getting it just rite for one direction. then you've got to lose all your settings switching to other direction.

a major PITA! ... now if one has two converted granberg's ...one for each direction, that might work.

I really like the bench mounted one (you can get a close up in the catalog), if it tilted more to the left and right, I'd own 3.

Another thing about the converted Granberg style, it's great for rakers to.

THREE one for left one for right the other for the rakers, the Granbergs, Oregons ect are only $25.00 or so, $75.00 and all your bases are covered (if they came ready to sq file)

Now on my old Nygran (I'v never used a Granberg) spin the top 180 degrees put it on the same angle it was on the first side (the angles are written on it) slip the file out, turn it around and slip it in the other way and in less than a min, you are filing the other side. After I did the conversion to it so the file could rotate, I just bought another guide, had it modded the same way and when I'm ready to switch sides, I just take the top off the guide and put the other top on, then I have an Oregon for the rakers. Every tooth and every raker is the same.

The A-top wins hands down for simplicty though, if free hand filing was easier than the A-top guide, no one would make round files.

Later,

Last edited:
The Prince of Darkness thought he was underpaid at Lucas, so he took a new job helping out with quality control at Bosch. Remember him fondly next time you have trouble with a Bosch spark plug or fuel injector.

Don't say that, I really don't need to hear it....

Serg's and my vehicles are electrified by Lucas and injected (thank my deity it's mechanical injection) by Bosch...........

<snip>

that all changed after I lucked out and scored a Simington 450 square grinder. now with a Simington 450 and a Silvey 300 round grinder... got all my chains covered.

That's great, except Simington just don't exist on this side of the Pacific, our dollar dropped 10% last week compared to the green back, then there's freight, and our standard power supply is 240V/50Hz so the motor is useless anyway and....well, you get the picture... :D

Granberg and Oregon jigs are around the $45 mark here, a good quality round ground grinder like the Tecomec Jolly Star is around the $600 mark and it goes up from there.

don't feel bad... they don't hardly exist over here either.

Simington 450 square grinders have been out of production for years. they were the basis for Silvey's entry level square grinders. unfortunately entry level for Silvey means $900.

used square grinders of any flavor rarely ever come up for sale.
making it almost impossible to find an affordable square grinder.

one can purchase a darn nice chainsaw for $900!

don't get me wrong... Silvey makes a precision super high quality grinder... with excellent customer service, etc. But Silvey gets away with charging $900-$2,000 (Pro sharp) because they are the only source for new square grinders... and they are worth it!

if and when A-Top ever gets their square filing jig figured out. they will sell a ton of em.... much demand held back by folks wanting to go square but can't justify $900 price of admission.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1110468#post1110468

silvey4.JPG

That's great, except Simington just don't exist on this side of the Pacific,.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back