Stihl bar oil sticker shock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best bar/chain oil that I ever used was semi-synthetic, but the price was too high to be worth running it if you use any quantity at all. I think the WalMart stuff might be a little light. The Poulan seems to be good and I also just finished a gallon of Quaker State that I got at Menards that seemed OK. I just don't think that there is a vast difference in most, though.

Last edited:
The local Stihl dealer sells orange jug bar oil for $14 a gallon. The local Jonsered dealer and the John Deere dealer both stock the exact same Stihl bar oil (even though neither sell any other Stihl products) for $9 a gallon. Go figure.

I buy gallons of Husky oil for 9.99 and stihl for 12.00. Even Lowes sells Husky oil for about $10. I refuse to run cheap oil in 800-$1000 saws.

It's really worth shopping around, even for oil of the same brand.

I found stihl oils first for $16/gal, then $12.95/gal, now finally $9.99 per gal, and at a John Deere/Stihl establishment, no less!

I have found husky oil now for $8.75/gal.

Home Depot no name stuff is up to $9.99/gal.

It pays to shop around...so long as gas doesn't catch up with you...

Stihl bar oil in the summer, Poulan in the winter. It's runs like water in the hot summer months but is just right when it's cold out.

Ian

I have ran basically every brand of bar oil made in 17yrs of logging and now 10yrs of tree service. the main thing to watch for is the viscosity 20 or 30w. the brand means crap. if the chain does not stretch on a tank of gas then it is more than likely being lubed efficiently. I am currently running oil from "Atwood's home and ranch" for $6.99 gal. it works fine. when I first started back in the early 70's we use just 30w non-detergent.

I buy gallons of Husky oil for 9.99 and stihl for 12.00. Even Lowes sells Husky oil for about $10. I refuse to run cheap oil in 800-$1000 saws.

Your right, IMO.

There have been a lot of bar-oil threads over the years here.

Most here were good with running Stihl oil over the Panda piss from wally-world when the price was around $8 & $4 a gallon.

Now at twice that price, is there that much less ware protection then before?

Or was it a good idea then, but not worth it now with the extra price?

Having to replace components before it was time has a huge cost. Some could justify buying a lot of drive-sprockets and bars with the cost difference between the types of oils. But IMO it is not worth the extra hassle, I will price in the good oil as long as I can.

A direction some have taken on there 660's has been to install the hi-output oilers, I am very glad I did on mine it leaves me an option to run more diverse oil.

With the price hike in the better bars oils, I will look into running the hi-output oiler in my 361 now and maybe start blending my own. (little cheep/little good oil? stihl might be just worth it to run the good stuff?)

But I stihl will never run wally-world oil again, it dose not do an adequate job IMO.

attachment.php

Anyone have the PN: for the the hi-output oiler for the ms-361 (was it the oiler from a 441 ?

Last edited:
we have used the home depot oil four years now no problem its all 9.99 a gallon we used 2 gallons a day tom trees:popcorn:

Thanks for this suggestion. Great idea.

The local Stihl dealer sells orange jug bar oil for $14 a gallon. The local Jonsered dealer and the John Deere dealer both stock the exact same Stihl bar oil (even though neither sell any other Stihl products) for $9 a gallon. Go figure.
One of the places I'm cutting at right now is right down the road from a JD dealer. Guess I'll be checking them out. Thanks for the heads up.

I mainly run the poulan or the husky bar oil and have had good luck. I used to run stuff called "Chain Pro" untill I looked in the bottom of the jug when it was empty,then I cut the jug open and there was a thick layer of sludge in the bottom of the jug.

You can replace the 361 oil pump with the full 460R (full wrap) high capacity oil pump assembly for about about $85. The Stihl part number is:

1128 640 3250 oil pump assembly

You can also keep the 361 oil pump and just replace the piston and control bolt with the 460R parts. The Stihl part numbers for these are:

1128 647 0602 oil pump piston (about $27)
1128 647 4803 oil pump control bolt (about $4)

quote from another thread.

Alternative chain oil?

Stopped this morning for an orange jug of bar oil.
$16.50

Man.

Just finished up a jug that may have been 2 years old, sticker was $9.99.

Starting to wonder if the Poulan stuff at Walmart will be acceptable, I used to use it when I ran Poulan saws. From my recollection of the lime green bottled stuff, I always thought it was too thick and didn't flow as well as the Stihl oil.
Might have to give a small bottle a try and see if its worth it.

Check out this thread:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=38827&highlight=veggie+oil

Vegetable Oil - USDA Forest Service Report
"Every year thousands of gallons of chain-and-bar oil are carried into the forests and none returns." (quote from link below)
http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/9.../98511316.html

I manage woodlots around wells and there are some lots (near wet lands) that won't allow petroleum bar oil. So, I can't use conventional cheap bar oil. Some tests mentioned in other links imply the bar might even last longer with canola oil.

So, I got a 5 quart jug of canola oil at Costco for $8+. I've been testing it in my old topside saw. Subjectively, it seems to be working better and it washes out of the gear (rope, chaps, etc.) easier.

The jury's still out, but ... So far, canola oil seems to work better, cleaner & cheaper - worth considering!

Problem with Canola lies with the part time firewood cutters... it goes rancid. If you are constantly using your equipment and it never sits for a month, then it may be a good alternative.

Ian

Problem with Canola lies with the part time firewood cutters... it goes rancid. If you are constantly using your equipment and it never sits for a month, then it may be a good alternative.

Ian
What about the stuff the local Stihl dealers sell ? Will that go rancid or bind up your oiler too ? I've never used just Canola that's why I ask. I use a 25/75 blend and haven't had any issues even with my saws sometimes sitting for two months.

Thanks for this suggestion. Great idea.

One of the places I'm cutting at right now is right down the road from a JD dealer. Guess I'll be checking them out. Thanks for the heads up.

The Advance Auto Parts stores around here were closing them out a while back for $0.99.Might be some still available,look around the antifreeze displays.Once you use one,well you know the rest....................

What about the stuff the local Stihl dealers sell ? Will that go rancid or bind up your oiler too ? I've never used just Canola that's why I ask. I use a 25/75 blend and haven't had any issues even with my saws sometimes sitting for two months.

I can only assume that what they're selling as eco oil is stable. I've not used any of it so I'm just spouting what I've read here in oil threads in the past. I use petroleum oil.

Ian

The Advance Auto Parts stores around here were closing them out a while back for $0.99.Might be some still available,look around the antifreeze displays.Once you use one,well you know the rest....................
I've got to buy new shocks for my wife's truck so as it happens I'll be able to look for one today. Thanks.

Canola oil shelf life?

Ian

GOOD POINT! So, I've been sniffing around (pun intended) - 'googled' and checked a few sites.

http://www.inlightimes.com/archives/2007/01/canola-oil.htm
http://www.canola-council.org/canola_oil_the_truth.aspx
Q: Does canola oil turn rancid quickly?
A: No. Canola oil’s shelf life stored at room temperature is about one year.

I think both these links are using the same source. It appears that "canola" is a manufactured name derived from the term "Canada Oil". Apparently, it's made from rape seed oil which, in its original state, is poisonous to humans. The processing that turns it into "canola oil" is supposed to make it safe for humans. There are those that dispute that claim. Kinda-makes-ya-worry.

I guess, it's better in my saw than my diet. I've had a jug of it in a hot shed for two months - looks and smells the same. I AIN'T TASTING IT!

Anyway, I'm only testing it in my old tophandle which I don't use often - where it seems to work great. It's a whole lot cheaper than that bio-degradeable bar oil from Stihl (wonder what that is). We will see.

Back