Stihl bar oil sticker shock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walmart Super Tech oil is as thin as engine oil. There's nothing sticky about it. I will never buy it again.

It's funny you mention that.. :)

I was in Wally-World today, and decided to walk over to the auto department and check prices on oil. I've never used the Super Tech, but I wanted to see how much it was. Well, I don't remember how much it was, BUT, I picked up the jug and gave it a slosh side to side. IT WAS SO THIN I THOUGHT I WAS SHAKING GATORADE!! I won't be trying THAT oil.

Then I was on to Tractor supply (right across the street). I checked the TSC oil vs. the Husky oil. My calibrated "slosh" test indicated that they were MUCH thicker than the Super Tech. I couldn't really tell if one was thicker than the other (TSC vs. Husky).

Just thought I'd share!

i bought a 3 pack of stihl files for $1.47 that beats any price i could find and bar oil for $12 just got home from the stihl dealer

Oh yeah.. I was at the Stihl dealer today too.. :) (I got around today)

Stihl Bar oil $11.50

Down from $14 last summer

Apparently, it's made from rape seed oil which, in its original state, is poisonous to humans. The processing that turns it into "canola oil" is supposed to make it safe for humans. There are those that dispute that claim.

Canola is not rapeseed. It looks the same on the outside but it’s very different on the inside where it matters. In the late 1960s, plant scientists used traditional plant breeding methods to get rid of rapeseed’s undesirable qualities – erucic acid and glucosinolates. That means canola oil and meal are different from rapeseed oil and meal.

Canola oil is the healthiest of all commonly used cooking oils. It is lowest in saturated fat, high in cholesterol-lowering mono-unsaturated fat and the best source of omega-3 fats of all popular oils.

I have Canola oil in pantry, and use in deep frying all the time. Kept properly, it will keep for a long time without going rancid, several months for sure.

Does anyone running "cooking" oil have a problem with a sticky build up on their saws? A friend of mine has been using used cooking oil in his saws and it leaves a nasty odor and sticky gunk on his saws.

Does anyone running "cooking" oil have a problem with a sticky build up on their saws? A friend of mine has been using used cooking oil in his saws and it leaves a nasty odor and sticky gunk on his saws.

That's the first time I heard of anyone using USED oil for bar lube.. Hmmmm...

That's the first time I heard of anyone using USED oil for bar lube.. Hmmmm...

Sounds like a good way to get attacked by starving Raccoons ta me. LOL!!

I can't imagine the stench of running used cooking grease after fish fry friday.

YECH!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Canola is not rapeseed but is it bar oil?

Canola is not rapeseed. It looks the same on the outside but it’s very different on the inside where it matters. In the late 1960s, plant scientists used traditional plant breeding methods to get rid of rapeseed’s undesirable qualities – erucic acid and glucosinolates. That means canola oil and meal are different from rapeseed oil and meal.

Canola oil is the healthiest of all commonly used cooking oils. It is lowest in saturated fat, high in cholesterol-lowering mono-unsaturated fat and the best source of omega-3 fats of all popular oils.

I have Canola oil in pantry, and use in deep frying all the time. Kept properly, it will keep for a long time without going rancid, several months for sure.

I stand corrected. Canola is not rapeseed. "Canola is one of two cultivars of rapeseed or Brassica campestris (Brassica napus L. and B. campestris L.)." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola. That link also cites (verbatum) your "healthiest of all" statement from the Canola Council of Canada. Apparently, my "Kinda-makes-ya-worry" comment was a failed attempt at humor - my appologies. I(we) too, have it in the pantry and have used it for cooking.

However, the question of interest for this thread;
Is canola oil a viable alternative for bar oil?

Back