Stihl Bench Mount pics.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
According to the instructions, Square Ground and Carbide Tipped cant be sharpened with this......

I dont use square ground or carbide tipped..so Im ok.

Stihl Bench Mount pic.

I assume from the pictures that this is a new item.. I bought a electric grinder because of convenience and the fact that I wasn't impressed with the job the local sthil dealer did sharpening my chains (I am a machinist and used to have a sharpening business for the box industry). Now I am not really impressed with the job that I get with the electric sharpener. I would appreciate it if after you have used the sharpener a while you would email me with your impression. Thanks Tom

Ive used it about ten times since I got it a week ago. Ive never used a grinder, I get more enjoyment from hand filing. Thats why I got the Bench Mount.

It works sweet, as good if not a better edge than a grinder can give, without heating up the cutter.

Nice thing is it isnt permanantly mounted to the bench. A base gets lag screwed in and then the tool itself has a bolt and wingnut that slides in a groove, tighten it down...and go!

That answers my questions. I also see that you could use it to file depth gauges also. I guess you would have to round the leading edges free hand. Thanks Tom

$150...that's a lot of dough for something liek that...It looks nice though I want one, but I won't be shelling out that cash anytime real soon. I know you have to use a diamond face grinder for carbide tipped, so I know why that won't work, but why not for square chisel?

Diesel JD said:
.... but why not for square chisel?

By the looks of it, I don't think it allows you to get the correct angle down into the cutter. It only shows graduations for up to a 10 degree tilt on the file, I'm not sure if it allows you to go further than that or not and the graduations just aren't marked. I am far from a square ground chain expert, but I believe the angle you want the file tilted at for square filing is normally steepr than that if I am not mistaken.

One of the resident square ground/filed chain experts can likely offer some more insight on this.

TimberPig said:
By the looks of it, I don't think it allows you to get the correct angle down into the cutter. It only shows graduations for up to a 10 degree tilt on the file, I'm not sure if it allows you to go further than that or not and the graduations just aren't marked. I am far from a square ground chain expert, but I believe the angle you want the file tilted at for square filing is normally steepr than that if I am not mistaken.

One of the resident square ground/filed chain experts can likely offer some more insight on this.

TimberPig I believe in post #4 he mentions that this file setup will not do square.

:)

stihlatit said:
TimberPig I believe in post #4 he mentions that this file setup will not do square.

:)
And then it was asked why it wouldn't do square filed.

As per instructions it wont do square ground....but im not familiar with square ground so I dont know how it would have to be set up to sharpen Square Ground...If someone wants to throw me the angles Ill see if it can be manipulated to try.

Back