Stihl Bulk Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbojango

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A buddy and I have been making our own loops for awhile now. We bought some bulk chain at an auction (stihl dealer went out) and have now run out and need more. Most interested in 3/8 .063 FULL chisel. I'd be willing to buy a 100' box no problem. Shoot me a PM or post on what it should cost and how to handle shipping. THANKS guys!

P.S. If you guys have other 100' rolls of picco's and .325 i'd be interested in some of that also later on, but the 3/8 063 is what we're out of.

I'd also entertain idea's on CARLTON rolls, but not Oregon brand's

I've tried Oregon chain and it just doesn't do it for me, don't know why but it doesn't. The Carlton is said to be just as hard of steel as Stihl chain but its not prestretched to help it out. I was kind of hoping that by posting some of the Stihl dealer guys would offer it up (unless its just an MSRP deal) the rolls i bought only lasted a season and now guys want to get chains and no one has the same sized chain and NONE of them ran Stihl brand before we made them. and NO i don't want to cut a dealers throat, i just want a decent deal.

The best shot at good priced stihl chain is having a good buddy in the PNW where stihl chain is a decent price. Most of the dealers around here don't want to sell it by the roll and if they do its $450 or so for a roll. That's why I run oregon.

We've tried um all and the Sthil chain has served us the best. All I run now on all of our saws is the Stihl half skip and it works great for what we do. Can't handle that other stuff.

The best shot at good priced stihl chain is having a good buddy in the PNW where stihl chain is a decent price. Most of the dealers around here don't want to sell it by the roll and if they do its $450 or so for a roll. That's why I run oregon.

Is that for a 100 footer? (Man did I get ripped off):cry:

Yup $239 100 ft roll out here compared to 199-219 for Oregon chain.

My dealer who i pimp religously to EVERYONE around these parts wants $400. Told me with a straight face he paid $379 for his roll so its not worth arguing, but i don't want to hurt his feelings or anything, its just cheaper to buy already made Stihl Brand chains off ebay. About $330 a roll is close to break even but it WOULD be nice to be able to not wait 4 days on a chain. We run 36, 32, 25, 20 and 18 inch 3/8's .063 chains. And make 3 chains for each bar and my buddy has the exact same set up so a roll goes quick.

Occasionally there's stihl brand chain on ebay but it ends up over $350 a roll.

That's not a bad deal for stihl brand. If I ever want any I'll try to get someone in the PNW to buy it and ship it to me. The oregon 75CL is what I'm running now. For what I do it holds an edge just fine. I sharpen every other tank so stihl gets sharpened as much as oregon chain for me unless I hit something.

I have a grinder to sharpen mine so i don't "waste the time" to file chains. I cut about 3 tanks and when she starts throwing smaller chips i just change chains. When i run out of chains i switch bars or saws (or both) and continue. it probably doesn't make my chains last as long, but i'd argue its faster than filing and i have limited time to get cut, split and home.

I was square filing but got a silvey now so I'm swapping chains instead of filing on the saw. I can file a 32" full comp round in about 8 minutes in the field if it just needs a touch up. I never seen an advantage of a grinder until I started filing square. Now with the grinder I can square grind in about 8-10 minutes instead of filing for 30 minutes on each chain.

I still haven't found any chain, just so everyone knows. Is everyones opinion to just call some Stihl dealers in Oregon or Washington and see if one will shoot me a deal and UPS? is it against Stihl rules to do that? i don't want to get anyone in trouble!

Latest posts

Back