Stihl Chainsaws...Professional vs. Midrange

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many hours do you think you can get out of a MS390? I'm not sure where people get the last twice as long thing from, but regardless, most people aren't going to burn up the life expectancy of an MS390 in his/her lifetime. Most of the rest of your questions are only pertinent if he uses the saw frequently.

Fine, even if it lasts 1.25 to 1.5 times longer, is it worth it?
And you are right, those are things he needs to consider as well. But that had been brought up, so I left it alone!

I'm not sure you should be trying to help a person decide which saw they should buy. You have your own long "which saw should I buy" thread and you still can't decide ;).

I am trying to replace the "perfect" firewood saw, that they quit making!! So anything else is a compromise, and what do I want to compromise on? NOTHING!!!!

Well i couldnt decide from an 880 or a 3120 and which topsaw, so tired of deciding, just yesterday i bought them both, a 200t and another 660. I'll admit i dont run a lot of small saws, just because i dont see the point unless i wasnt strong enough to carry a bigger faster one in the tree with me. So its not out of the ordinary for me and another guy i cut with to both run 880's chunking down trees.
As far as how long they'll last. I burn up most of my pro saws in a years time. But they'll usually pay for themselves in the first job. Since majority of my jobs are $5000 and up just to drop the big ones on the ground...because nobody else wants to touch them. So then i usually toss them to the scrap pile after a year. So i'll buy anywhere from 2-4 new saws a year in different sizes.

If one product is built more durable, stronger case, built for everyday use...it will out last something that is made for affordablity and occasional use. I've seen a lot of people come in that were unhappy with the performance of their new 390..heavy, no power, slow chain speed. But not too many people unhappy with the 361..unless they want to jump to a 460 for some more power.
The same reason to buy anything commercial over residential use.... Commercial is built to last...versus built to sell to a broad market that wants a decent product for a low price.

Last edited:
Geez... the 310/390 vs 361 debate all over again this soon? Man, how many threads haver there been on this one?

I agree that if money is the issue, get the 310. If you are an occasional user (less than 10 cords of firewood a year, or 20 trees felled, or something like that) you will be fine with the 310 or 390. I have a 290 and it runs great after 5 years of use and abuse. Great saw.

Now, if you are felling or a living, or out there a lot cutting for hours on end in the woods, or you want a saw to leave to your children? Get the 361. I love mine. I also still love my 290 though. Cutting wise, the 361 will not outcut a 390. Not that much difference in cutting, or bar size that they can pull. But if you want to tear them down, tweek the oilers, run them really hard, or use them for a really long time? Again the 361 is going to be the better chioce.

I had the same choice and posted a similar thread on AS. Maybe a year ago now??? ;) I went with the 361. Cannot say I made a bad choice. I think in the end either one would have been fine for us here though.

The much better anti-vibe of the 361 alone, is worth the price difference vs the 390, and there will be lots of other bonuses......:)

The 290/310/390 are good chunking out firewood saws. They have plenty of balls, but are also excellent boat anchors, the design is basically unchanged from the 029 saws (15 years old or so). They are great saws until you have to do any work on the engine itself, because of the way the frame and engine is designed it takes much longer to work on them. If you don't mind weight and just need shear horsepower they are the way to go. Especially being priced 350-450 range.

The 361 Pro is a great saw. Light and powerful, will run up to a 25" bar on it.
It has more up to design, the engine runs smoother, the frame and buffering are far superior to the 290/310/390. You can use it all day and not be worn out. If price is not an issue we sell them in the high 500$ range go for it.

We sell 290/310/390's mainly to really big guys (250 pounds plus) or younger guys just needing a saw that'll go through anything. The avg. 361 buyer has been running saws for many years and wants something ballsy but that won't tear them up after using it all day.

.... I am trying to replace the "perfect" firewood saw, that they quit making!! So anything else is a compromise, and what do I want to compromise on? NOTHING!!!!

The 262xp actually wasn't perfect - it had an outboard clutch, small bar mount, small spline clutch (easy to fix), and a "flag" type chain brake handle - but it still is the saw that I want the most.

I have tried to pry my brothers one away from him, but none that has a 262xp will let it go, because of the way they run and cut.......:cry:

The 262xp actually wasn't perfect - it had an outboard clutch, small bar mount, small spline clutch (easy to fix), and a "flag" type chain brake handle - but it still is the saw that I want the most.

I have tried to pry my brothers one away from him, but none that has a 262xp will let it go, because of the way they run and cut.......:cry:

Almost forgot, I agree with what he said............

Well i couldnt decide from an 880 or a 3120 and which topsaw, so tired of deciding, just yesterday i bought them both, a 200t and another 660. .

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts over time with trigger time on both big saws. Including what bar and size wood. Do you run .404?

Paper, plastic Magnesium or cast iron?

Well..... I guess I got my axe kicked by one respondent!!!!
I have been perusing the web regarding this "issue". The large majority of folks seem to have negative vibes regarding the sub-grade saws.
I will, therefore, run back down to the Stihl dealer and get an MS 361 and an MS 460. Also, the MS 200t. (I guess I'll keep the new MS 192t for spare)
I'll trade in the MS 290 that I did 3 cuts with before draining the gas. (stand-by for the Super XL ). I did like the feel and performance of the 290, however.
Upon reflection, I've never knowingly compromised on equipment and used my best judgement. (except when considering other needs that use the $100.00 bills).
I did buy a good Magnesium saw once, the Super XL on 1/2 price sale downtown Watsonville, Ca. Days after the Loma Prieta earthquake. I paid 185 bucks for a 370.00 saw, something I couldn't pass up. (Ace hardware, main street) Nasty, petty tyrants condemned the store, because they could.
I stand properly corrected and can now fully appreciate that plastic =junk.

Thanks for the help
Eric

No, not junk, really a decent saw, you just have to decide if that $100 is better invested in the saw, or other things?

Well..... I guess I got my axe kicked by one respondent!!!!
I have been perusing the web regarding this "issue". The large majority of folks seem to have negative vibes regarding the sub-grade saws.
I will, therefore, run back down to the Stihl dealer and get an MS 361 and an MS 460. Also, the MS 200t. (I guess I'll keep the new MS 192t for spare)
I'll trade in the MS 290 that I did 3 cuts with before draining the gas. (stand-by for the Super XL ). I did like the feel and performance of the 290, however.
Upon reflection, I've never knowingly compromised on equipment and used my best judgement. (except when considering other needs that use the $100.00 bills).
I did buy a good Magnesium saw once, the Super XL on 1/2 price sale downtown Watsonville, Ca. Days after the Loma Prieta earthquake. I paid 185 bucks for a 370.00 saw, something I couldn't pass up. (Ace hardware, main street) Nasty, petty tyrants condemned the store, because they could.
I stand properly corrected and can now fully appreciate that plastic =junk.

Thanks for the help
Eric

Ignore the saw snobs. The 290's we sell work great for 99% of the guys that buy them.. and some of those saws are 12 years old. We even have "pro" customers that use them for ground saws and they really beat the crap out of them.

I've replaced a LOT of 361 recoil covers. Mag "breaks". Can't remember replacing a 290 cover.. . Oh, that's right, plastic sucks. :dizzy:

Just shooting from the hip

Well, I was just trying to give an OPINION, unwarranted. I Have never had a look at the gizzards of the 290-390 saws, so am totally un-qualified to really answer his question. I freely admit to that.
I am not the guy asking the question of topic.
If the engine lower case is indeed plastic, I would have to actually see this, SO WHAT???
I can't believe that Stihl would make a piece of equipment that would be compromised from the start. Before I get rid of the 290, I will be sure to inspect the engine to see exactly what you guys are talking about.
I am getting a creepy feeling, knowing that it is still sitting out in the saw cabinet, perhaps contaminating the WIZ and Super XL (magnesium saws).
We don't want that, now do we?
I originally seeked out a forum devoted to Q&A and general saw discussion to obtain some information about my WIZ project, saw purchased in 1962 and still running strong after all these years. I plan to convert to the .404 pitch chain, a good thing in my view. I can make a new drive sprocket on the mill.
I made a mistake, spouting off with an electro-mechanical 64 year old brain wave, shooting from the hip.
I hereby retract the OPINION that I responded with to the persons' query.
Eric Egland

The Stihl engine is all metal (unlike some of the competition in the same price range) - it just sits in a glass-filled Nylon ("plastic") cradle...

is 038mag a domestic or pro saw?

thanks......... sorry about the hijack question :spam:

Everyone in here is fighting over the same old 290/310/390 vs 361 debate. Man, its has been raging here on AS for some time now. I am in the "I love my 290 boat anchor" club myself. After running it all day, yah, it is more tiring than the 361, which I ran most of today. I dropped and limbed maybe... 30 trees? 8 inches to 18 inches DBH and oh, maybe 20 to 60 ft tall. I am really beat now though. Hands are sore, back is tight, arms are tone twitching after a half hour in the hot tub.

Anyway, to get to your question... (inhale, exhale) the 038? Hmmmm.... I dunno what it was sold as. Obsolete model. I see on the South Africa site that they still sell the 360 down there (hey, no 361?), and heeeeeey what the :censored: this? A 381????? 72cc saw. 3.9 Kw. 6.6 lb. Ooooohhh laaaaa laaaaa... the 381 is definately a pro model saw. Looks like they are selling the same size/class saw with the 441 and the 381 down there. The 381 looks like the big brother of the 361. And looks like THE NEXT SAW THAT I NEED! (damned chainsaw disease... whimper whimper).

So anyway, back to your question, the replacement/upgrade for the 038 is a pro saw, so like the 360/036, it was/is probably a pro model saw.

Everyone in here is fighting over the same old 290/310/390 vs 361 debate. Man, its has been raging here on AS for some time now. I am in the "I love my 290 boat anchor" club myself. After running it all day, yah, it is more tiring than the 361, which I ran most of today. I dropped and limbed maybe... 30 trees? 8 inches to 18 inches DBH and oh, maybe 20 to 60 ft tall. I am really beat now though. Hands are sore, back is tight, arms are tone twitching after a half hour in the hot tub.

Anyway, to get to your question... (inhale, exhale) the 038? Hmmmm.... I dunno what it was sold as. Obsolete model. I see on the South Africa site that they still sell the 360 down there (hey, no 361?), and heeeeeey what the :censored: this? A 381????? 72cc saw. 3.9 Kw. 6.6 lb. Ooooohhh laaaaa laaaaa... the 381 is definately a pro model saw. Looks like they are selling the same size/class saw with the 441 and the 381 down there. The 381 looks like the big brother of the 361. And looks like THE NEXT SAW THAT I NEED! (damned chainsaw disease... whimper whimper).

So anyway, back to your question, the replacement/upgrade for the 038 is a pro saw, so like the 360/036, it was/is probably a pro model saw.

thanks for taking your time for that awesome answer.

yer the 038 has to be a pro saw.... but i'm just happy it does what i want.

cheers

:givebeer:

Back