Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back at post #463, I posted that i was going to cast up some Contra gear drive two piece mufflers, well, i got to spend some time on it this week, and the results are not to bad!

Attachments

• Gear drive muffler 001.JPG
    Gear drive muffler 001.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Gear drive muffler 001.JPG
    Gear drive muffler 001.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Gear drive muffler 006.JPG
    Gear drive muffler 006.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Gear drive muffler 007.JPG
    Gear drive muffler 007.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 68
The dull grey muffler in the pics is the original that was copied. This first one was just an experiment to see how much contraction ( shrink back) there would be in such a thin pour. As it turned out the copy is about 0.5 mm smaller.

Back at post #463, I posted that i was going to cast up some Contra gear drive two piece mufflers, well, i got to spend some time on it this week, and the results are not to bad!
That is just beyond cool. Very fine work.

Gear drive cover 001 009.JPG Gear drive cover 001 004.JPG Gear drive cover 001 001.JPG Ok, I had to build this gear drive bar cover up 2 mm all over to allow for contraction when cooling, as it tuned out the step in the patch panel was very handy as a guide. The rear end of the cover is now 4mm thick. (The original is 2 mm) It should come out of the mould at about 2-2.5mm.

No luck yet. About one year ago I was talking to Teddy Scout about one that he was willing to sell to me. However, after a couple of emails he stopped replying and I was never able to contact him again. :( I must have sent at least 20 reminders but no luck. Although a vertical louver version will fit the muffler, I insist on a horizontal one for 'historical correctness'. Not sure if the regular one is incorrect (I have seen sand cast mufflers with the vertical cover) but somehow I feel that the horizontal one was the original part?

Also, I forgot to mention it earlier but impressive work you did with reproduction of those 'G' specific parts. At first glance I thought the reproduced part was the original. That is quite a handy talent you have. Could you also (theoretically) do it for even older Stihl (two man saw) parts like the top and bottom ends of this (left) muffler type?

I was also wondering about the cylinder in the ebay auction you posted. Probably not original but somehow the mounting in the case shown there also look odd. I don't have an 090 apart now so I cannot check if it's really different.

Lookie here boys and girls! Due to laws in the UK, dealers are not allowed to work on saws without chainbrakes. So when a customer goes into my local dealer, I get a phone call. Today I got a call on repairing an old s-10
0738a0a6cfba8b6f39a895df3f21dd36.jpg

So I've never seen one with a sand-cast muffler, anyone got a rough date? Carb is a Tilly hs-62a
697ffbe53e01a9c1389bd6bfcab17a8e.jpg

Here's the bar, with a ground-in logo, but later part number
9e420d153dc876745ac68e813e0c3f68.jpg

Cylinder and piston are low hours (you can still read the top!) 56mm btw.
S/n 2277230 (7 digit? I know modern are 9, prior was 8)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back