Stihl Control Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackajeff

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was cutting some small pines on the farm today with the 029. I limbed one then turned the saw off so that I could get the limbs out of my way before bucking it. I tried to start the saw but the control lever had come off at some point and I couldn't get it to go back on right and it won't work at all now. Any suggestions?

I was cutting some small pines on the farm today with the 029. I limbed one then turned the saw off so that I could get the limbs out of my way before bucking it. I tried to start the saw but the control lever had come off at some point and I couldn't get it to go back on right and it won't work at all now. Any suggestions?

Most likely the control arm is binding up on something.

There is the little metal spring on the starter side that has to go in front of the control arm so that it engages the various notches and the ignition ground wire.

Also the arm could be binding the throttle linkage and or the carbs choke lever.

The control arm can only function correctly if all the pieces are assembled correctly.

You might try a search to see if you can come up a photo of the assembly.

Agree about the metal spring. You may need to take to off and reposition switch and whatever it links too. Take off the cover and study the switch area. you'll figure it out.

Back