Stihl dealers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earn your businness, hmmm. Discounting is what earns your business, not so sure many would want your business if discounting is the only way to get it. Do you make the grocery store earn your business by asking for discounts on groceries? I assume not because you like to eat, I bet those dealers like to eat too.

Have to disagree with you there THALL if my Stihl dealer hadn't given me a great deal on my ms260 I wouldn't have been able to afford it at the time, and I would have bought a 5100 at the dolmar dealer. Sense he was so good to me I've gone back for cutting pants, a helmet system,suspenders,and chains I've also recommended him to several coworkers. He got me in the door and treated me like he valued my business.

Have to disagree with you there THALL if my Stihl dealer hadn't given me a great deal on my ms260 I wouldn't have been able to afford it at the time, and I would have bought a 5100 at the dolmar dealer. Sense he was so good to me I've gone back for cutting pants, a helmet system,suspenders,and chains I've also recommended him to several coworkers. He got me in the door and treated me like he valued my business.

Sounds like he did indeed treat you well as he should have. All dealers should treat their customers well. My issue with this so called earn thing is those walking in the door with nothing but discount on their mind, asking me the old "whats my price" deal, that "whatcha gonna give me off" attitude. I give them just what they deserve, nothing. They aren't good customers anyway, good customers don't act like that. If the main goal of a customer is to see how far he can get you down on the price chances are good if you bow to him he will come back and pull the same deal on everything he buys, I've seen it hundreds of times and it does get old. I waste no time anymore telling a customer he's cheap if he's cheap. I have no problem saying that awful word they hate to hear, no. Sometimes they realize the low balling bs doesn't fly and become good customers and then they get discounts all the time for being good customers, they get it automaticly without asking. I got proof of that, ask one of my best customers Hoss if he ever pays full price, never. I have more good customers getting discounts than the bad ones that don't. I don't cater to bad customers, only good ones. Other times the real bad ones get ticked and tell me well screw you and I grin and say well your sure did try, sorry you failed. Out the door they go and good ridden. I know that sounds hardcore but some just aren't worth fooling with anyway.

Heres a prime example. Had a guy and his buddy come in a while back and offer me 400.00 for a 599.00 saw. My reply was quick and simple. I asked him if he was out of his f-cking mind. That stopped the non-sense right on the spot. He laffed and said awwwww come on man, I'll give you 450.00. I said your still out of your f-cking mind. He laffed some more and I actually started getting a kick out of him. It became a game and finally for 550.00 he got his saw and everybody laffed and that was that. He's been back and now he's my buddy, we laff and carry on and have a good time. He now knows I may smell his azz but I'm not gonna kiss it,LOLOL Had he stuck with his offer of 400.00 I would have stuck with my reply to him and he'd probly never come back and so what. Why worry about it, can't be selling saws for 400.00 when you paid more than that for it. Don't need non-sense like that.

It all comes down to attitude and common sense Bob, nothing less and nothing more. I'm sure you went in your dealers place with a good attitude and for that alone you got that great deal and good for you, your a good customer. I would have treated you just as well and maybe better, what did you pay for that 260? I've let many go for 400.00 merely because I liked the mans attitude that was buying it. I make it up on all those goodies they come back and buy just like you are doing. So in someways you and me are agreeing whether you beleive me or not..

Last edited:
I bought my ms210 last week and they trew in a new case,,and files..I was pleased...

I bought my ms210 last week and they trew in a new case,,and files..I was pleased...

And I bet you had a good attitude all through the sale, thats all it takes to get a good deal. Good to hear they treated you good,:cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
There are about 20 stihl dealears within 30 miles of me. Of this twenty there are only 4 i will deal with the service and price i get from them is exalent. The rest are bottom of the barell deallers that eventually go out of businees anyway. Seems like they will give a dealership to anybody some times. Are old homelite dealer went under in six months after it was sold to a new owner the original owner had itfor forty+ years homelite was still agood seller when the went under. I think there atitude was the problem.

Sounds like he did indeed treat you well as he should have. All dealers should treat their customers well. My issue with this so called earn thing is those walking in the door with nothing but discount on their mind, asking me the old "whats my price" deal, that "whatcha gonna give me off" attitude. I give them just what they deserve, nothing. They aren't good customers anyway, good customers don't act like that. If the main goal of a customer is to see how far he can get you down on the price chances are good if you bow to him he will come back and pull the same deal on everything he buys, I've seen it hundreds of times and it does get old. I waste no time anymore telling a customer he's cheap if he's cheap. I have no problem saying that awful word they hate to hear, no. Sometimes they realize the low balling bs doesn't fly and become good customers and then they get discounts all the time for being good customers, they get it automaticly without asking. I got proof of that, ask one of my best customers Hoss if he ever pays full price, never. I have more good customers getting discounts than the bad ones that don't. I don't cater to bad customers, only good ones. Other times the real bad ones get ticked and tell me well screw you and I grin and say well your sure did try, sorry you failed. Out the door they go and good ridden. I know that sounds hardcore but some just aren't worth fooling with anyway.

Heres a prime example. Had a guy and his buddy come in a while back and offer me 400.00 for a 599.00 saw. My reply was quick and simple. I asked him if he was out of his f-cking mind. That stopped the non-sense right on the spot. He laffed and said awwwww come on man, I'll give you 450.00. I said your still out of your f-cking mind. He laffed some more and I actually started getting a kick out of him. It became a game and finally for 550.00 he got his saw and everybody laffed and that was that. He's been back and now he's my buddy, we laff and carry on and have a good time. He now knows I may smell his azz but I'm not gonna kiss it,LOLOL Had he stuck with his offer of 400.00 I would have stuck with my reply to him and he'd probly never come back and so what. Why worry about it, can't be selling saws for 400.00 when you paid more than that for it. Don't need non-sense like that.

It all comes down to attitude and common sense Bob, nothing less and nothing more. I'm sure you went in your dealers place with a good attitude and for that alone you got that great deal and good for you, your a good customer. I would have treated you just as well and maybe better, what did you pay for that 260? I've let many go for 400.00 merely because I liked the mans attitude that was buying it. I make it up on all those goodies they come back and buy just like you are doing. So in someways you and me are agreeing whether you beleive me or not..

I guess I do agree with you on that (I never low balled the guy) I actually called him to price a ms290 but he remembered me looking at the 260 and offered it to me for 519.00 canadian msrp was @650 at the time and that put it in my price range. $400.00 wow now thats customer appreciation.:cheers:

Attitude is huge, and on both sides of the counter. And a customer should know that the sooner he asks for a discount, the less likely he is going to get one. A customer has to earn a discount in much the same way that I have to earn his business. A first timer who starts asking for special deals two minutes after he comes in the door isn't so much a customer as he is a stand up comic.

I realize that some people truly enjoy the haggling part. The price, the tax, the freebies. They feel that if they don't get some kind of special deal then they didn't "win", and their egos won't let them pay the same price as the last ten guys. My saw prices are VERY good, but if I had 372's on the shelf for $100, some of these guys would still ask "can you do any better?"

It's perfectly OK for a guy to ask for a deal, and I respect that. But if I say no to his request, then he needs to respect my answer as well. Where I lose patience is when the guy starts rolling his eyes and moaning about having to pay the tax or whatever.

Attitude is huge, and on both sides of the counter. And a customer should know that the sooner he asks for a discount, the less likely he is going to get one. A customer has to earn a discount in much the same way that I have to earn his business. A first timer who starts asking for special deals two minutes after he comes in the door isn't so much a customer as he is a stand up comic.

I realize that some people truly enjoy the haggling part. The price, the tax, the freebies. They feel that if they don't get some kind of special deal then they didn't "win", and their egos won't let them pay the same price as the last ten guys. My saw prices are VERY good, but if I had 372's on the shelf for $100, some of these guys would still ask "can you do any better?"

It's perfectly OK for a guy to ask for a deal, and I respect that. But if I say no to his request, then he needs to respect my answer as well. Where I lose patience is when the guy starts rolling his eyes and moaning about having to pay the tax or whatever.

When I "haggle" it's subtle.....................................................

...........................and if I try to get a deal I've always got a fist full of CASH in the pocket.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back