Stihl Easy & Start and Tooless chain worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulbunyon

Reaction score
Are the easy start and tooless chain tensioning features on the Stihl chainsaws worth the extra $30 or should I just get a larger cc?

Like is the MS 211 C-BE at 35cc worth it or should one be looking at the standard MS250 at 45 cc's for an extra $20? I like the idea behind the tooless chain tensioning but do not know how well these features work.

Please advise :greenchainsaw:

Are the easy start and tooless chain tensioning features on the Stihl chainsaws worth the extra $30 or should I just get a larger cc?

Like is the MS 211 C-BE at 35cc worth it or should one be looking at the standard MS250 at 45 cc's for an extra $20? I like the idea behind the tooless chain tensioning but do not know how well these features work.

Please advise :greenchainsaw:

I like the tooless tensioner, but you wont hear that from many on here. They're too cool to have any useful features. Everyone knows that the pro's all tote their screnches around to adjust the chain. You never know who might be in the woods watching you adjust your chain without the wrench.

The easy start is probably not needed for most. I always get confused if I pick up an easy start, and go rifting on the cord when nothing happens. If you are strong anough to wield the saw, you probably won't need the easy start.

I would get the 211. All of the folks that have them so far are very pleased. It is available with the tool-less adjuster and without the easystart.

We sell a lot of the easy start models, it's real handy if you have and shoulder or other joint issue that prevent you from quickly pulling the starter rope. And the quick adjust is nice also, a lot of our tree services use the MS180's with the quick adjust in their bucket trucks, because they can change chains with no tools and homeowners love it too. If niether of these really apply to you it's not worth the extra money.

My father has one, the model slips my mind now. It was the largest easy start Stihl offered at the time. (3 years ago). He is 73 and has had upper spine surgery, without the easy start, his cuttin days were done. He enjoys cuttin like the rest of us. The saw has been a great saw, this spring I had to replace the adjusting wheel for the toolless adj. It melted a little from heat off the muff ? Not use how it happened, but it did. With this piece melted a little you could not adj. the bar at all. I had to order a new wheel for it. Thats the only issue I seen in the 3 years hes had it.

My buddy has it on a MS180, I tried it and both features work as advertised.I personally have no use for them though, the easy start just felt funky to me. I have no need for it, my saws start in 3 pulls anyway. As far as the quick chain adjuster, I like to take the time it takes to refuel/adjust chain to take a break, get a drink and a smoke. I do realize though that in some cases they could be very nice but I'm used to what I grew up with and have no problem with it. If it was me, I would use the money and go for more power.

My 026 has the easy chain adjuster. No complaints here. Easy to do. No looking for where i left my scrench. Whats not to like?

I have the ms250 with the easy start & quick ajust and it is fine for me . But ajusting the chain with a scrench doesnt take that long to do. Also if you dont like it you can buy the regular pull start cover and bolt it on. It is just what you think is the most perfered method.:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back