Stihl / Echo-common mixture please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry1

Reaction score
In the mid 80's, I bought new, a Stihl 028 [Wood boss] that is still
running great. The saw probably has no more than 25-30 hours
on it. Several years ago I was given a new Echo 3000 that I've never even gotten out of the box till now. For pure conveinence and laziness,, I would like to know if there is a common mixture of fuel that will suffice for both saws without harming the engine or compromising horse power on either saw. The Stihl book callls for a 40-1 mix and the Echo's book calls for a 50-1,,,,,their oils. Any suggestions on brand of oil ,,,,,,,,is Echo oil as good as Stihl oil ???

For the most part, I've always felt safe using plain 30W motor oil for chain lube in the Stihl,,, has this been a stupid and lazy thing to do?

I've read several comments on the Elcho saws in this forum and mostly the Echo saws get good remaks from you guys but I haven't seen anything reported on the 3000. Has anyone here used a 3000 and what do ya'll think of them? It appears kinda wimpy to me but............not that the 028 is a horse of course.
Just a practical size for my piddlin in the woods.

jerry,

mississippi

The echo CS-3000 is a good saw. Of course it is wimpy because it is a lightweight climbing saw. Be careful using that saw because of the handle position you have a lot less leverage to prevent kickback. That saw can be dropped from 30 ft in the air and come out smelling like a rose. Just use Stihl oil at the 40:1 mixture and both saws will be happy for a long time. Keep an eye on the spark arrest screen on the muffler and keep it clean. The 50:1 rating is to keep the EPA happy.

Scroll down the 'chainsaw' forum page and find the thread titled 'new husky 45'. I posted on that last week.
Also, someone else corrected me on the fact that the 6.4 oz. bottle is for 2.5 gallons (recommend 2 gallons).

Also refer to the thread titled 'Jonsered 525' for recommended oil brands, recommended fuel / oil ratio and best method for obtaining a consistent fuel / oil mix. These guidelines apply to ALL saws that use a two cycle motor (which is just about all of them). So if you've got a 'Whattheheckisthis' saw with a two cycle motor, follow these same guidelines and don't keep asking the same question for each different brand of saw.

Here is an interesting thread, several people mention the Echo CS-3000. I prefer the 3400, only a couple dollars more.
http://216.118.85.31/showthread.php?threadid=1093
Some people like the fancy and expensive synthetic oils designed for racing motorcycles, but 99.8% of people using chainsaws will never have any problems running a quality 2-cycle oil mixed at 40-1.

thanks

Thanks for all the good advice,,,I'll go with 40-1 mix.
I have a supply of Echo oil left that I'll use up and when it's
gone I'll switch over to Sthil,,unless that'd be a bad idea.
Let me know.

As far as the 30 w motor oil as chian lube, Ya'll didn't comment so I assumed that it was to keep from hurting my feelings so I went
to H D and bought some chain oil.

The only way my CS 3000 will fall from thirty feet is if I can throw it that high,,,,,,I don't do climbing. HUSKYMAN, is the 30 ft drop thing an Echo advertising thing or is that from a personal experience thing??

jerry

Dunno about Huskyman, but I dropped a 3 week old 3400 from a tree over a parking lot once. Only about 20'-25', but it landed on the asphalt. Shattered the oil cap, but not a scratch on the saw, cost me $4 for a new cap I think.
As for HD30 for bar lube, it will work fine. Bar lube has a 'sticker' agent which helps it from slinging off the bar as quickly so you might get a little faster wear with plain HD30.
Echo 2-cycle oil is fine, I've used it many times. I prefer Stihl, but maybe just because of the odor. I'd avoid the cheaper brands though. No proof, just a gut instinct. My saw is important enough to me to get a quality oil and not skimp. For a few pennies per gallon I'll use Stihl mixed in Amoco Premium gas.

If you want the same mix for both, I would recommend using the Echo (in the black bottle) or the Husqvarna premium (XP?) oil at a 50-1 ratio, rather than the Stihl. No need to mix at 40-1. When the 028 was mfg., the quality of mixing oil was not nearly as good as the mix today. The amount of base stock oil is not the important factor that it used to be. It is the QUALITY of the additives (for anti-scuff and anti-seize, stabilizer, etc.) that the oil contains, that makes the difference. Echo and Husky (maybe Shindaiwa now, too????) are the highest rated 2 stroke oils because they include all of the new generation additives that protect the engine. Stihl does not yet have these additives in their mixing oil.

Not so cheap, cheap saw oil

Hey Brian I got proof about cheap mix oil. It ain't good. In my younger and not so smart days, I was running penzoil 2 stroke, one size fits all. I lost a stihl 056 to high temp breakdown. That oil may be ok in an outboard but never in a saw. Here's something else to consider about fuel. The self serve pumps have one hose to dispense 3 grades of fuel. If your only buying a gallon you are not getting hardly any premium if regular was the last to be pumped. Some pumps contain almost a gallon in the system between grade changes. I buy mine 5 gal at a time and have a gal. put in my truck to clear the hose out first. It makes a difference even in 5 gal. shots :D

Latest posts

Back