Stihl Elastostart hows that thing work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitedogone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
not how does it perform...how's it work? And how do you install one? WDO

its just a rubber piece that attaches to the starter handle, so when you pull it it has some stretch. IMO it really isnt necessary, i dont notice the difference, but they are easy to install, you buy a starter handle from stihl with the rubber bumper in it, then you feed your rope through, tie a knot and your done.

The larger one like you need has the rope mounted in a rubber mount in the handle. It stretches significantly when you pull the rope, thereby removing the stress of the cylinders compression strokes. Some of the smaller ones use a spring. They make a big difference on a big saw, especially those that don't have a decompression valve, like my 076 Super with 170 PSI and 111cc.

Going by memory here but I think it's 6 CCW (might be 8 turns?) turn on the recoil, feed the end of the rope to the hole on the recoil, tie a nut and let it go. You can get the actual how to from the owners manual download vis stihl website.

I like the Elastostart handle. It cost a bit more to replace the rope when it breaks but not enough to worry about. The starter handle from the 460R is also really nice on a big saw. I had one on my 660 but when the tiny little handle broke on my 394 I put it on there instead.

Remember the rope is replaceable. You don't have to buy an entire new assembly.

I like the Elastostart handle. It cost a bit more to replace the rope when it breaks but not enough to worry about. The starter handle from the 460R is also really nice on a big saw. I had one on my 660 but when the tiny little handle broke on my 394 I put it on there instead.

Remember the rope is replaceable. You don't have to buy an entire new assembly.

yep just the rope is a few bucks,,,, well worth it,,, over time the metal bushing in the starter cover gets a groove worn in it and thats what cuts the rope generally,,,, best to replace it also,,,, or it will shorten the life of your new rope too!!!!!!! :monkey: :cheers: :givebeer:

Shindaiwa's system works great, and doesn't cost no $18+! (6.24, to be exact). The handle even doubles as a tool to open the caps!

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's the same as the system that's been used for a long time on small Stihl's (with that option) and the larger weedeaters.

The rubber system for bigger saws is significantly beefier.

Shindaiwa's system works great, and doesn't cost no $18+! (6.24, to be exact). The handle even doubles as a tool to open the caps!

attachment.php

attachment.php

They put that nice handle on that little saw, but not on the 757!?!:dizzy:
Do you have on for the 757?? Then I could take off the Stihl handle that is currently on it!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

The Elastostart cord is fraying at about 10-12" from the handle on the 046. Two tanks through it after porting.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I have replaced a half dozen of these on Loggers' saws. They know exactly how to wear them out and break them as they drop start their MS 660's and 661's. I almost bought one for my 064 that has no decomp, but instead I sold the saw. That was dumb. The 064 was the strongest saw I owned and the Elastostart is what I should have bought for it. Rats!
:dumb2:

I have replaced a half dozen of these on Loggers' saws. They know exactly how to wear them out and break them as they drop start their MS 660's and 661's. I almost bought one for my 064 that has no decomp, but instead I sold the saw. That was dumb. The 064 was the strongest saw I owned and the Elastostart is what I should have bought for it. Rats!
:dumb2:
I break them on my 066 very often, if the handle does not rip apart the cord will snap, I couldn`t get a year out of one on that saw. The other 066 is not as bad and the two 064`s are fine with the Elastostart handles. Some saws have more compression and timing advance than others, mine has both.

Back