Stihl file guide or Husky roller file gauge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wahoowad

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I use the basic Stihl file guide but only today learned about the Husky roller guide. Any opinion on which is easier and better to use? Will the Husky guide work for my Stihl .325 RM3 chain? o_O

I use the basic Stihl file guide but only today learned about the Husky roller guide. Any opinion on which is easier and better to use? Will the Husky guide work for my Stihl .325 RM3 chain? o_O

using a husqvarna file guide on a stihl chain could cause an explosion.

I have both and am still in the process of deciding which I like best. I only run semi-chisel chains. Using the same size file, I have noticed that the Stihl file holder gives more "hook". The Husky roller file guide gives very little hook. All with the same size file. It is Carlton semi-chisel I am using right now if that matters at all.

More hook seems to cut faster, but less hook seems to stay sharp longer. I still have a lot more experimenting to do, though.

stihl also has a roller file guide ...they call it the fg4....5612 000 7501 is the part number for the .325 chain...should run about 33 bucks.

I'm quicker with the stihl guide. Other than that, pretty much either is fine. I always have one or the other in the field.
While I appreciate the guys who can free hand I struggle with the depth of my file without a guide.

I have a stihl fg2 in the shed, as well as a grinder. The fg2 is amazing, the one tool that really shortens the learning curve to sharpening properly. It's stupid expensive for what it is, but it's like cheating for getting sharp chains.
I only use it on my chains, the grinder is for the chains the other guys use, the chains that found a rock or nail, and new chains that have poor geometry.

I like the husky. 1st pic is super dull. 2nd is sharp and last shows how I did

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 314
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 334
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 253
One tool does them all- Granberg "File-N-Joint"- been using the same one for 35+ yrs.
Quick, simple, precise, min. metal removal. What's not to like? Even does depth gauges precisely.
IMHO, most all the others are kludges.

One tool does them all- Granberg "File-N-Joint"- been using the same one for 35+ yrs.
Quick, simple, precise, min. metal removal. What's not to like? Even does depth gauges precisely.

What is different about the Granberg than the Stihl device (don't they have one like this?) I like the looks and price of the Granberg :p

My experience is that the bar mounted types of these guides inevitably move on the bar and frustrate the hell out of me. If it's just me, then I'm happy to concede!

My experience is that the bar mounted types of these guides inevitably move on the bar and frustrate the hell out of me. If it's just me, then I'm happy to concede!
That happened to me when I first got mine it was really frustrating. I've had it about 3 months now and finally figured out . I can get a nice sharp chain with the Granberg. The Stihl guide does look handy for the feild

I have found the chain needs to be real tight or it will lift as you file. But once dialed in the chain will be very sharp.

I would like to find a stihl fg 2 but I then wonder if I should just buy a grinder for a little more.

gg

Back