Stihl firewood saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Slicker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for a new Stihl saw to cut only firewood with. I have a 025 right now that works good, but Im giving it to my brother. Looking for something about same size. I also have a 361 for the bigger chunks, but looking for something lighter for the smaller stuff. Any ideas?

Your best choices would be either a 260 or another 250, I suppose. A 260 with a 16" bar and a modified muffler is a good little saw.

There are a few other good choices from Husqvarna and Dolmar, but that wasn't what you were asking about so I'll leave it to someone else to try to sell you on a different brand.

I tend to agree...

... I have my Husky 353, but it just so happens I sent it out to get modded, and it hasn't come back yet.

Not a big deal, but it just so happens that my cousin and I discovered his old Cotton wood tree is EXTREMELY rotten. Sooo... having to chose between a Crapsmen 55cc saw, or go buy a 16" bar for my 361, I grabbed the wallet and split.

I could very easily run the 361 as a small saw, with a 16" bar. And be very content, because it RIPS with that short a bar. If I hadn't already invested myself into the 353, I might not have it!

Food for thought, I escaped with a Stihl bar and chain for $72... not the best deal ever, but a lot cheaper than whole new saw

I agree with Jeff, if you don't want to use the 361 then take a look at the 270/280 series. They ahve been reliable.

if you gotta 361... why do you need a little saw?
to me a 59cc class saw is good if you can only have one saw.

more efficient go with a two saw combo like 260/460 or 026/066 or 5100/372 or what ever..

I think the ms180 is a great choice. economical and I think stihl make the best of the homeowner saws, they actually still feel like quality in you hands comparatively of course.

a 40-60-90+cc combo is all any one would ever need.

Buck

I agree with Jeff; once you try using the 361 with an 18" bar, it is a sweet saw for limbing or felling up to 3', which covers most all the firewood I cut in West Texas. I have several 026/260 saws and carry them along only as back up for my two 361's now. Being as I only cut a trailer load of wood at a time, I change saws now instead of chains. So buy another 361 and put a shorter bar on it. :rock:

Last edited:
Back