Stihl Fs 80

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50:1

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is a chainsaw forum, but I didn't know where else to go. I would like to know any opinions on the stihl fs 80 r trimmer. What's the life expectancy if used commercially (daily M-F)? Duarble? Quality? Frequency of down time? Mainly gonna be used on maintained yards, but would like the torque for thick weeds. Any tips/advice/education would be greatly appreciated. :Eye:

I've got a FS80 and they are an excellent rugged unit

Rock soild. Doesn't have the soild drive shaft of the FS85 but it has a lifetime warranty on the drive system, so who cares? I get to service these after theve been beaten up all day every day for three years, and all they need is the usual carb work etc. Very rarely see a problem with the 4137 motor. Ocassional coil problems, but lifetime waranty again.

i have the FS80R as a homeowner-user and it is great. for the heavy stuff (even up to 1" saplings) i use the the 8 tooth brush/grass steel blade...if u want to use that blade, u will need to get the accesssory package that has the mounting hardware, barrier bar, and large deflector...that package is $30 from the dealer and the blade was $12 or $15.
i cannot comment on the commercial use, but as a homeowner wth alot of clearing on my property, it is a very good machine.

We have one at work that has seen some heavy use it runs very well and is the only one my boss will use. I like the 85 personally but the 80 works just as well if not better this thing always starts up on the second pull and has good power and speed. I have a fs 55 personally and its not a bad little trimmer it does not have the power or features that the 80 has but it had a nice smaller price tag.

I have own a FS-85 and it has ben a very solid unit. The 80 is the same as the 85 minus a solid drive hsaft so i dont see why it wouldnt be just as good.
With that said I would buy a Redmax if I where buying today. Simply better units and they are also low emmisions two strokes so there is almost no stink and smoke.

I also have an FS-80...Great trimmer...I've had mine for 7 years or so, it's been used commercialy and for cutting small trees (2-3" no problem w/ steel saw blade attached). To say the least it was abused a time or two before i knew how to properly use it. I think I've cleaned the carb twice, and put a kit in it once. That's all i've ever had to do to it! Either fs-80, or 85 will serve you well.

The FS80 is a fanastic unit. I'm with Lakeside53 on this one. I'm a Stihl tech myself and after working on these you really begin to appreciate how good they are. So good I ended up buying my own.

They have great power, very low weight, and are very easy to maintain/work on. You'll find that downtime is a minumum with this trimmer. One word of advice though- ditch the round string and opt for a spool of the Stihl "X-line". Unlike the round string the "X-line" has sharp edges that do a better job of actually cutting the grass, rather than whacking it off. Remember string to a trimmer is like chain to a chainsaw. A good or bad string will make or break the trimmer.

Justin

I used to work with a school board, that had an FS85, with around 2000 hours on it, and I believe its still going strong on the original piston rings, and it runs like a top still. only repair its had, is a new shaft housing, after the original got broken, and the trimmer head, which was worked out after we ditched the autocut II series heads, which suck more than ANYTHING out there.

Back