Stihl FS80E initial carb settings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipRap

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an old Stihl FS80E with the Japanese engine and the TK carburetor that hasn't ran for years. I believe that it was purchased in 1980. I cleaned out the carb and put in a new carb gasket kit, new fuel lines, new spark plug and have it running. Throttle response seems to be fine, plenty of power. It has 155lbs compression.

To start it I choke it, pull the starter rope once, it pops, then I close the choke, pull the rope again and it starts right up.

Sometimes when it is idling, it surges some as the rpm's increase, then it will idle back down.

It seems to me that it is using an excessive amount of fuel.

Does anyone know what the initial carb needle settings should be?
Also, does anyone have an Owners Manual or workshop/ ipl manuals?

Thanks

Fish, or anyone, can you help me with my FS80E

Does anyone have any experience with the older model FS80E?

I have an old Stihl FS80E with the Japanese engine and the TK carburetor that hasn't ran for years. I believe that it was purchased in 1980. I cleaned out the carb and put in a new carb gasket kit, new fuel lines, new spark plug and have it running. Throttle response seems to be fine, plenty of power. It has 155lbs compression.

To start it I choke it, pull the starter rope once, it pops, then I close the choke, pull the rope again and it starts right up.

Sometimes when it is idling, it surges some as the rpm's increase, then it will idle back down.

It seems to me that it is using an excessive amount of fuel.

Does anyone know what the initial carb needle settings should be?
Also, does anyone have an Owners Manual or workshop/ ipl manuals?

Thanks

Unfortunately, I have sold all of my old manuals, and the mediacat doesn't have them anymore.
The Shindaiwa t-25 had the same carb, but it was different on the
settings, it was like 2 1/2 turns out on the high, I cannot remember the initial low, If I remember correct the Stihl was like 1 1/2, but I may be wrong

184882d1306102950-001-jpg
Well I dug this old list out, here is an old list of settings.

Does this help any????

I am an old genie, you rubbed my lamp........ I appeared,,,,,

At least let me know if that is the info you needed.

My lamp doesn't get much action any more............

Thanks

Does this help any????

I am an old genie, you rubbed my lamp........ I appeared,,,,,

At least let me know if that is the info you needed.

My lamp doesn't get much action any more............

This is just what I have been looking for! It's great to have old genie's like you that have a wealth of knowledge, information and experience to help us out. Hope that you stick around for many years to come.

Thanks again, Bob

Seeking Stihl FS80e (old style) manual...

Hi Guys, Any luck getting hold of a manual for the old style FS80e, either operators or workshop? If you could shoot me over a copy I'll love you forever!!! :msp_wub: Cheers!

Stihl FS80AV Initial Carb Setting

I've just spent a ton of time trying to get this machine to run. Replaced carb kit, blocked off the little check valve under the needle valve arm. It floods after running a bit and if I blow the cylinder out to get rid of the built up gas, it'll start and run for a few seconds. I would like to adjust the H & L needle for intial settings but don't know which one is H and which on is L. Could someone set me straight please. Its a TK Carb. :confused:

I've just spent a ton of time trying to get this machine to run. Replaced carb kit, blocked off the little check valve under the needle valve arm. It floods after running a bit and if I blow the cylinder out to get rid of the built up gas, it'll start and run for a few seconds. I would like to adjust the H & L needle for intial settings but don't know which one is H and which on is L. Could someone set me straight please. Its a TK Carb. :confused:

From my handbook on page 31 the H & L needles are the two brass ones of the three. The L is the small one in the centre and the H is the bigger one at the bottom.

After turning both these needle clockwise (carefully) until they seat back off the L one (1) full turn. Then back off the H two (2) full turns.

Carburetor adjustments should only be made when the engine is warm and the air filter is clean.

The other screw is the idler speed adjustment which is set so the head does not turn when idling.

If the engine speed is erratic when idling adjust the L screw. You get a richer mixture turning it clockwise and leaner anti clockwise.

Although I now have my engine running I would like to know if it is possible to set the flywheel/coil air gap and how. If I remove the cover to get at the flywheel the coil comes off with the cover. Leave the cover on and you can't get at the screws to adjust the coil. I am thinking I might need to remove the flywheel from the engine and place in cover to check the gap.

I ask this because the coil was rubbing on the flywheel and I estimated how much to back it off which seems to have worked.

Back