Stihl guys, I need some help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm considering a MS 211, MS 250, or MS 290.

The MS-290 was my first Stihl, great saw!

I cut 10 cords/year for several years with a great MS290, and it never missed a beat.

Honestly, the 036/360/361 class (60cc) is the best all-around firewood saw, IMO.

MS-360, that's what I was thinking too. Powerful, light, but big enough to hang in there if the C.A.D. bug bites! And not a bad "first" saw either?

I bought an 044 for $300 bucks a few years back. It was in fantastic shape.
Gary

But GAS, this was floating in the back of my mind too! knowing what I know now, I should have started here too!
But then again, we have no idea what/where were going to be in the next 6-12 months!?

I see a new member to the C.A.D. help group, excuse me, I'll get another chair...:laugh:

Last edited:
So, I'm looking to purchase my first saw in the next month or so. I am pretty much dead set on a stihl mainly because I have a close dealer so parts shouldnt become an issue. Also thats all my family and friends use and to be honest, I dont want to hear any crap from them. I don't anticipate cutting very much wood but I'm affraid that once I make my purchase i will be cutting more than I originally thought. I will never need a BIG saw as I do have access to a few large ones if I ever needed one. My choices have been narrowed to 3 saws but I cant seem to weigh out the diffences among the 3. I'm considering a MS 211, MS 250, or MS 290. Initially I was thinking more along the lines of an ms 181 but have talked myself into going a bit larger. Can anyone point out some of the differences among the 3 besides the obvious stuuf thats on their website? Is the weight difference among the 3 really going to be that noticeable? Why is the ms 211 the same price as the ms 250 when the 250 has so much more power? Anyone used all 3 saws and if so what did or didnt you like about them? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have two of the three in my garage right now, have had and used (and sold) all three.

Just my opinion, so no crucifying (sp?)

211 is lesser of a saw (power), mostly you are just paying for a newer design. But prices at the dealer should be around 15% less, or $30 less for the 211 than the 250. 250, sell a lot of them, very common homeowner saw around here, everyone likes one. can't sell 211's worth crap, seems everyone wants a larger saw. I think it is a handy little saw to have around the house, but I think it is too small for a general firewood saw. 290 is a good saw, but if you are going this far, I would rather pick up a used 360 or 361 for less money and you would be better off in the long run.

Latest posts

Back