Stihl KM130R Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, not a chainsaw, but close!

It runs fine, but it stopped powering the attachments today, and the attachment I pulled out seemed to be oil dry instead of wet like they usually are. I mostly use the cycle bar with it.

Anyone familiar with what usually goes wrong with these things? I'm thinking something similar to an oil pump (or lines) and a drive head?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The shaft and gearboxes need to be lubricated. I usually hit them with the Stihl stuf about every 100 hours or so, or when I get my equipment out of long-term storage.

My best guess is the lack of lubrication has messed up the gearbox or shaft.

Agree with above post. This is also a known issue with the polesaws, if you don't get the shaft seated properly into the powerhead/clutch drum it will not engage. I took a new job in the last month selling Stihl equipment and we assemble every unit that comes in. 4 out of 5 of the polesaws that have gone out didn't engage when tested. You have to get them just right...

OK, not a chainsaw, but close!

It runs fine, but it stopped powering the attachments today, and the attachment I pulled out seemed to be oil dry instead of wet like they usually are. I mostly use the cycle bar with it.

Anyone familiar with what usually goes wrong with these things? I'm thinking something similar to an oil pump (or lines) and a drive head?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Let's clear this up a little eh?
It seems to be running correctly yes?
If I understand, it's running, just not spinning the attachments?
Have you tried another attachment?
What attachment are you saying is dry that's usually wet?

Fwiw, there is no oiler pump or lines in any of the Kombi powerheads. They just spin. As mentioned already the shafts of the attachments typically require a spot of grease annually or every 100 hours. The sickle should be lubed quite a bit more often. And the gearbox checked yearly or so just so there's some grease in it.

My guess is the shaft just isnt engaging fully.

Don't the attachments (cycle etc) draw lubrication from the motor?

I have both the cycle bar for grass/weeks, and the shorter one for hedges. The grass/weed one was on it when it stopped working. When I tried to put the hedge one one, it did not work either. But the hedge one looks "wet" at the drive link, the grass one does not.

Don't the attachments (cycle etc) draw lubrication from the motor?

I have both the cycle bar for grass/weeks, and the shorter one for hedges. The grass/weed one was on it when it stopped working. When I tried to put the hedge one one, it did not work either. But the hedge one looks "wet" at the drive link, the grass one does not.
Nope, no mechanism for them to "draw lube" from the motor.
The Kombi power head is separate from its attachments. Loosen the clamping screw and make sure that the powerhead hasn't just slid back and lost the hold on the drive shaft.

View attachment 444757
Check what Harley is showing you here. I'm hoping that's it at this point. It sounds not so good..

Thanks everyone, success at last!!!

I'm pretty sure it was mostly just a lubrication problem, but strange that both attachments stopped working at the same time. When I purchased this thing, they never told me I had to lube it, and I never read the instructions till today! (don't worry, I stopped going to that dealer years ago).

There seem to be two lubrication holes on each attachment, and none on the power head. I do not have a working grease gun any more, so I used a turkey baster and an inverted 3/8 extender, a little messy, but worked fairly well!

After lubing both the hedge trimmer and sickle attachment, and turning both of them with a pair of pliers, neither worked when attached to the power head!

So I disconnected the nose attachment from over the clutch, attached the hedge trimmer to the bar, and turned the outside clutch cover by hand, and everything worked. I reassembled everything, and the hedge trimmer worked, but not the sickle attachment.

I made sure I could still turn the sickle with pliers, and I could, but it would still not work. I reasoned the lubrication must need to be cycled, so I hooked up my cordless drill to the sickle attachment, first on low speed, then on high. When I reinstalled it on the unit, it worked ... SUCCESS AT LAST!!!

Thanks again everyone, I'm glad to have it working again w/o any expenditure in parts or labor (other than my own).

Mike what did you use to lube it? There are different lubricants for the trimmer head and for the sickle. Also it is a simple matter of removing the shaft, cleaning it and lubing it up as well. Too much of the wrong lube will ruin the attachment.

Latest posts

Back