Stihl M-Tronic problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been a Stihl tech for 34 years. I came into the industry when 031's and 056's were the hot saws. Been there, done that. Mtronic is an excellent engine management system within the limits of its capabilities. What nobody here has addressed is the original issue "the engine runs too fast at idle". Let's put Mtronic aside for a few moments and think about how a competent tech would approach this problem on a non Mtronic saw.
Stihl has a wonderful diagnostic flow chart called "Stihl engine checklist" or something like that. Its simple, but long. Most techs don't bother with it until all their guessing leads them nowhere in solving a problem. I use it when the answer isn't quick and obvious, and it has never let me down. Again. we're pretending this is a standard carbureted saw with a high idle. Most likely, we'd all try adjusting the idle speed screw to correct the problem. I would. But what if that didn't work? Then it gets interesting. We need to systematically look at all aspects of the saw to determine the problem. The diagnostic chart will take us through the fuel system, controls, ignition, exhaust, etc. Lets say that all these items turn out to be ok. The test that will probably be most telling is a pressure and vacuum test of the crankcase. Even a small air leak will cause a saw to run erratically or not at all. High idle could easily be explained by a leak at a gasket, seal, impulse line, or intake boot. If there's a leak, fix it and re-test the crankcase. Now yo can properly set the mixtures and RPM so the saw will run properly.
Now lets go back to an Mtronic saw. Everything thats critical for a carbureted saw to run properly ALSO APPLIES to Mtronic. If you have an obstructed fuel filter or a crankcase air leak, that Mtronic saw won't work properly. Its critical to be sure there are no mechanical problems prior to blaming Mtronic.
Has anyone checked the mechanical parts of this saw, or did they just skip all that because "they knew" its an Mtronic problem???? Mtronic isn't perfect, but it is a simple, generally solid system. What it can't do is magically retune a saw that has an air leak or other mechanical problem. Once all mechanical possibilities are ruled out, only then does a competent tech look at the engine management system.
Hook it up to the laptop and run SDS software. Look at the engine management data- number of starts, total hours of operation, and most importantly- the fuel numbers at idle and WOT. If Mtronic is screwed up, the data and solenoid tests will tell you. If its compensating for an air leak or other mechanical problem, the mixture data will be crazy rich. Mtronic is remarkably simple and usually works perfectly. Sure, there are issues with very early controllers whose firmware was set so that the saw would run too lean, but Stihl has addressed those issues with newer controllers.
Mtronic is electronically simple, but dependant on lots of mechanical things to work properly. A leaking inlet needle in the throttle body will cause the same problems on an Mtronic saw as on a standard carbureted saw. Crappy fuel still doesn't burn well in an Mtronic saw. Water doesn't burn at all. Look at all the simple, normal reasons for a particular issue before jumping to the possibly erroneous conclusion that Mtronic is to blame. My time is valuable, and so too is yours- why waste it guessing. Approach a problem with a systematic plan and rule out problems rather that rule them in. Think about that for a few seconds. Those few seconds of thought may save you hours of frustration,
thanks @Stihldoc. just bought a 241 and hated to think i might have to take it back to the shop if i had problems. i can hear it now when i tell the wife i'm taking the laptop to the shop to work on a saw.:eek: think i'll stick to the 056 that has me confused with all the different changes in parts etc.
OP sorry for the derail. hoping you get your saw back with a good outcome.

Agree with Brad and Doc here. First i always have an extra solenoid on hand since they are cheap and easy to replace. If recalibrate doesn't work, careful inspection of impulse and fuel lines. Vac and pressure next, which unfortunately is more of a pain for a 201T since the regular adaptors don't fit, but you can rig up something. Gorilla tape helps me, two layers on the intake manifold tube can hold vacuum and test thru impulse, move piston up and down slowly should still hold

Agree with Brad and Doc here. First i always have an extra solenoid on hand since they are cheap and easy to replace. If recalibrate doesn't work, careful inspection of impulse and fuel lines. Vac and pressure next, which unfortunately is more of a pain for a 201T since the regular adaptors don't fit, but you can rig up something. Gorilla tape helps me, two layers on the intake manifold tube can hold vacuum and test thru impulse, move piston up and down slowly should still hold

Just picked up the saw with no improvement. They replaced the carb, and got Stihl to warranty it as the saw was under a year old. I looked over the techs notes, and it looks like he tried everything but the impulse line. Because they were not set up with a computer to work on the saw, could it be that the new carb has not been recalibrated and it is running with the old settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This procedure from a previous post worked for my Stihl 661cm after it was rebuilt, could help in your case, hopefully wont make it worse:
Take the bar and chain off, crank saw in choke position, and leave it on choke running for approx. 90 sec. Do not hit throttle. Then manually move mastercontrol lever all the way to off. Reinstall bar and chain and go make several full cuts.

I second
But On my 441 you have too touch the throttle to unlock the chock to get it too the off position

Seamed to recalibrate fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I brought it to a different shop who had the software to plug into and recalibrate the new carb. Saw is running fine now!
Lesson to take from this experience is; make SURE you're shop is qualified to work on whatever it is you're bringing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OpenCanopyTree: How is your M-Tronic 201T C-M doing? Now that it has been some time, if you were to choose between a Husqvarna 543xp (non-Autotune) and a Stihl MS241 C-M which would you choose?

I have an MS 241 that is in its third Summer. It ran GREAT for two years, has about 90 hours on it, but has started having all sorts of issues the past 2-3 months.
It is now hard to start taking about 8-10 pulls when cold, and as many or more when hot. If it does come to life it is almost impossible to get it to accelerate off idle about 50% of the time. Dies frequently when at idle as well, even after it "knows" where it is at, sometimes will die when throttle chopped. If you put it down to move branches or logs it will die quite often now as well. Just started dying when in the middle of a cut as well.
I went through the carb, clean as a whistle, replaced the solenoid once, re-calibrated, no change. The dealer changed out the solenoid too, and he also replaced the diaphragm in the carb, re-calibrated it as well, still no change.
Seems to be some sort of altitude sickness as this always happens when up about 7000 feet or higher, and worse if temperatures are high (anywhere above eighty) . Yesterday I went out in the afternoon when the temp was 95 and started it up here in my backyard. Two pulls to get it started, two more till it was acclimated. I am at just over 5000 feet. It runs like a champ with no issues at all at this altitude. Dealer agrees as he had no issues after he worked it over and thought it was cured.
Both dealer and I are stumped. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back