Stihl Magnum, details please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
Please elaborate on your injury so we may learn from it. What is the long term prognosis for your foot? Can you walk at all now? God bless an prayers for a speedy recovery. Paul

StIhL MaGnUm

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey Guys ,

Thanks I appreciate it alot belive me , well here's how it happened from what I can remember I was kinda freaked out over the whole deal so I'm not too sure on exact details.

I was working a 30 acre Pine selective cut with the crew I've been working with I was on the landing bucking and topping logs , while they were out felling and the other skidding to me. So I was standing on top of the log pile which I reall should'nt have been since it really was to big to do so and I was bucking a large white pine but I could'nt do it with the pull side of the bar so I had to use the top of the bar to cut it because it was wedged to tight with other logs and the powerhead would hit unless I did it that way. Well needless to say right as the saw started coming out of the final bucking cut I started to pull the saw upwards and the tip hit the log below the one I was cutting , and stupid me not paying attention on where I was standing ( right in front of the kerf ) , next thing I felt was a burning sensation and my left foot started feeling hot from the bleeding. I jumped off the pile looked down at my boot and saw my sock soaked in blood and it was coming out fast. By the time I got to the hospital I had passed out from losing so much blood they said I lost close to 2 pints almost.

The saw cut right through the steel toe on my new Redwings I could'nt believe it. In surgery for 3 hours but atleast they could put it back together. It was my big toe on the left foot was only hanging by some skin , I cut through all the tendons that make it go up an down , nerves , and the worst was I cut it back so far I cut right through the joint where it meets the foot and riped out all the cartilidge , they said the cleaned the joint 5 times and were still finding metal fragements. But I'm back together and it has already been 2 weeks since it happened I can walk a little bit now but cant stay on my feet for long or it starts to hurt , but other than that the doctors say I'm healing faster than expected and I should be able to go to work in 2-4 weeks depending on healing . So I guess I'm ok learned a new lesson the hard way unfortunatly and I'm out a new pair of boots.. Cant wait to work again though thats for sure.

Again thanks fellas I appreciate all your thoughts .

Rob

StIhL MaGnUm

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks guys .. Hey Doug I'll be ready for beverages soon , I recently moved to Manchester so now I'm even closer to ya : ) Send me a email today or something if you get a chance , I think I still have your email address maybe I'll send you one. We definetly need to get togther for sure.

Hey double J yeah I think my next boots will have some kevlar by the looks of it but we'll see.. Thanks

Rob

StIhL MaGnUm

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey Dan ,

Yeah I've always treated saws with respect cause I know the damage they can do,in 2000 I had a 28" chain break off my 064av and do just about the same thing but it wrapped around my thigh not as many stitches but definetly scarred me up pretty good.Ever since then I really got into the PPE chaps , helmet , etc.. Safety first thats for sure

mlk

ArboristSite Lurker
I've used chainsaws for many years, and I have been lucky so far. My only injury was a small laceration of my left thigh that ocurred when I was using a heavy saw and I was fatiqued. I accidently brushed my leg, cutting through my engtex chaps. It was the first day that I had ever used chaps, and my injury would have been much worse if I had not had them on. I don't have any pictures of that incident, but i thought I would share a photo of an ax cut. Not nearly as serious as cutting a toe off, but there is a lot of blood. I had an axe stuck in a log I was using to cut kindling and brushed up against it. i didn't even notice it when it happened. I went back in the house and felt liquid dripping down my leg. I thought "well great, now I'm incontinent." I was really surprised to see the blood. It pays to be safe, but accidents can still happen. The more safety conscious you are, the fewer and less serious your injuries will be.

NeTree

NeTree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Talk about re-defining the board foot...

Glad you're still alive, bro. If there's anything I can do to help, you got the number. Liz sends her love.

StIhL MaGnUm

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey whats up Erik ,

Yup thats one way to look at it I guess .. I definetly redifined the meaniing board foot.. But yeah I'm doing alot better now atleast so thats good..Cant wait to get back into the woods I know that much for sure : ) So are you going to the Expo at the end of the month ?? I'll be there Saturday but I dont think I can make it for Friday.. If your going look for the Tall guy wearing a Timberjack skidder hat who walks with a limp and has his hot blonde fiance with him .. That will be me Hope to see you there man

Rob

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
I hope you feel better soon.Thats a real wake up call for us all, I'm glad you didnt have to lose a toe from that one. A great piece of advice, for your next pair of boots, just get a pair of medieval knights steel greaves then your feet will be so well defended against cutting with a sharp object that you could only hurt yourself with a cutting torch or a dozer hitting your foot. I'm just glad you're going to be able to keep the toe on your foot. I'm praying for you Stihl Magnum. dont over do it and end up in the hospital again.

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Hi Rob, sorry to hear about your injury and hope that there is no loss to your ability to move about as freely as you did before. You are young, so it should heal well, just take as much time as need be to let it heal properly.
When you think back, what was your state of mind at the time?
Like did you feel pressured to buck the hitch before the next one came in? Not saying that is what happened, but that's why I work alone and for myself. There's never any pressure, unless I put my head in the undercut. LOL
John

StIhL MaGnUm

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey John thanks yeah it's a good thing I'm young the doctor says I'm healing alot faster than he thought I would be so thats a plus. Atleast I can kinda walk now just a little limpy thats all but it's better than the last two weeks when I was on crutches. Yeah actually your kinda right about my state of mind we were all in a rush to get the last load bucked and ready for that day to get it in on that weeks scale.. but it was just my error not paying attention on where I was standing.. A lesson learned for sure I know that much. Hey John when are you , Doug and I gonna meet up for some beverages ?? Soon I hope. Keep in touch

Rob

Thanks again to all the rest of you guys I appreciate it.

glens

glens

Former Member
Originally posted by StIhL MaGnUm
If your going look for the Tall guy wearing a Timberjack skidder hat who walks with a limp and has his hot blonde <a href="http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Dict2&Database=wn&Query=fiance">fiance</a> with him .. That will be me Hope to see you there man

Rob
Hey Rob, sorry to hear about the mishap.&nbsp; There's a <a href="http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14282">thread</a> over in off_topic you might be interested in (check the link in your quote to see why); that is unless you <i>meant</i> <a href="http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Dict2&Database=wn&Query=fiancee">fiancee</a>.

I hope it doesn't hurt to laugh.

Glen

Sylvatica

Sylvatica

ArboristSite Operative
Stihl Magnum,

Here's to your full and fast recovery.

On the subject of boots...

I may be totally wrong here, but to my knowledge, Red Wing has no chainsaw protective rated boots. Their steel toes are for totally different industrial safety applications.

My irony is that I used to keep an old left foot plain leather boot to show the guys. It had a cut across the toes, through the leather, right down to the sock. I dodged a major bullet with those totally inadequate boots, and escaped injury.

And I am guilty of wearing "plain" steel toes as well. But your accident has just convinced me to now go strictly with chainsaw rated boots with Engtex. Regardless of what they cost. This business is just too dangerous to not use every available safety technology.

Again, get well.

MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Originally posted by StIhL MaGnUm
...but it was just my error not paying attention on where I was standing..

In climbing, I refer to that as my perch. I take whatever time it takes to secure my perch. I can ride a bucking bronco if I'm secure in my perch. If not, I could look like that guy did on Real TV years ago... anyone see/remember that? He attempted to ride out a hard catapult effect and wasn't 'secure in his perch'. He wound up upside-down and tangled in his ropes... but evidently unharmed. Lucky.

Proper posturing before making the cut is of utmost importance.

And I ain't talking about shaking yur booty! :D