Stihl Motomix smells disgusting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
70 to 1 sooner or later boom right in the kisser lol
Opti has tested it to 150:1 with no failures...but recommend 70:1 to be safe. Says right on the package...mix 1.8oz to 1 gallon for 70:1 and use in any and all 2 stroke equipment.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Don't worry, no fear of me ever visiting.
You can link all you like, but the fact is the guy supplied fuel and fairly explicit instructions- but you ran what you wanted anyhow.
His fuel may not have seemed right to you, or smelled funny when it burned, so you discuss that with him, tell him it might be why he is having problems- give HIM the option of trying a different mix, not just slap in what you want when nobody is looking.

Don't worry, no fear of me ever visiting.
You can link all you like, but the fact is the guy supplied fuel and fairly explicit instructions- but you ran what you wanted anyhow.
His fuel may not have seemed right to you, or smelled funny when it burned, so you discuss that with him, tell him it might be why he is having problems- give HIM the option of trying a different mix, not just slap in what you want when nobody is looking.
He put some fuel in his tanks and took the can with him. I don't generally run customers fuel anyhow, i don't generally run any fuel i didnt pump and mix myself because i know its fuel ive pumped from a marine pump and mixed properly with my oil. Customers have dropped off equipment with straight gas in it...running unknown fuel mix is a risk.

Lord if i ran what some people ran in their stuff id be dumping E10 into the tank and pouring in gas station TC-W3 until it had the right shade of green [emoji28]

Same guy...says his mower ran fine a couple weeks ago...just wanted me to change the solenoid.
4358ebc612fd1f8efcd961d26ec95024.jpg

He put some fuel in his tanks and took the can with him. I don't generally run customers fuel anyhow, i don't generally run any fuel i didnt pump and mix myself because i know its fuel ive pumped from a marine pump and mixed properly with my oil. Customers have dropped off equipment with straight gas in it...running unknown fuel mix is a risk.

Yeah, I wouldn't run customers fuel either, that could be the whole problem they are having in the first place.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Yeah, I wouldn't run customers fuel either, that could be the whole problem they are having in the first place.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
It does happen, even more common is customers dropping off 4stroke equipment with no oil. Caught me slipping last year...guy dropped off a push mower he needed the self propelled belt replaced and a fuel line. I didn't check the oil...it ran about 45 seconds and i heard a rattle. I replaced the engine. Story went he took it to another shop, they had it for 3 months and he picked it up with the blade and adapter removed, fuel line missing. He didn't know they had apparently drained every drop of oil out.

I had a mower on hand.. Same make and model down to the electric start. My engine was in far better shape, the mower had been backed over by a car and busted the front drive...i bought it for the engine. Told customer what happened...offered to swap engines at no cost and 30 day warranty...all he would owe was the belt and line.

Always check the oil...dont trust mix you didnt mix yourself.

Oil is evil might as well put straight oil in the fuel tank running 70:1 bottle says 150:1 why people think they know better then the bottle and run way to much oil smoke city..
I'd probably run it at 200:1 myself as I don't have time to mess with fouled spark plugs.

Oil is evil might as well put straight oil in the fuel tank running 70:1 bottle says 150:1 why people think they know better then the bottle and run way to much oil smoke city..
I'd probably run it at 200:1 myself as I don't have time to mess with fouled spark plugs.
Next rough parts saw i get i might pin it on 200:1 and see how long it goes.

Lord if i ran what some people ran in their stuff id be dumping E10 into the tank and pouring in gas station TC-W3 until it had the right shade of green [emoji28]

Sometimes you just don't read so good- I said run with a fuel ratio not to the spec of the original manufacturer, nothing to stop you mixing fuel to the correct ratio for the product and using that as shop fuel. No potential comebacks then.
Apart from the guy that specifically asked you to use his fuel- nobody else told you to run customer fuel or fuel mixed to customer ratios, nor straight fuel.

Manufacturer's recommendations typically come with the stipulation with their specific oil or a specific oil. Not my fault manufacturers are stuck in the past running more oil than is necessary.

Would i run stihl oil 70:1? Hell no i see enough stihls come in with their cheeks clapped on 50:1 with HP/Ultra...

Project Farm released a YT video yesterday of him running a pair of 2 stroke generators for nearly 5 hours near full load on 100:1..1 supertech the other amsoil. Both gens had no more wear issues than prior to the test.

People flipped when 32:1 was the standard and people ran 40:1. Then 50:1 came out and the masses grumbled thats not enough oil...

Now here we are..

Manufacturer's recommendations typically come with the stipulation with their specific oil or a specific oil. Not my fault manufacturers are stuck in the past running more oil than is necessary.

Would i run stihl oil 70:1? Hell no i see enough stihls come in with their cheeks clapped on 50:1 with HP/Ultra...

Project Farm released a YT video yesterday of him running a pair of 2 stroke generators for nearly 5 hours near full load on 100:1..1 supertech the other amsoil. Both gens had no more wear issues than prior to the test.

People flipped when 32:1 was the standard and people ran 40:1. Then 50:1 came out and the masses grumbled thats not enough oil...

Now here we are..

Well, if youtube says it is okay- it must be gospel.
Of course there is a big poster at your counter where once only clients drop their machines to be worked on, that reads something along the lines of all machines will be run/tuned on an out of spec fuel mix that many of you will not replicate once the machine is returned and is not mixed to a ratio recommended by the manufacturer of your particular machine?

My mate drained the oil out of his new Hilux been driving around for a year now with no oil he seen it on Facebook recons you get better fuel millage. And you never have to worry about oil making inside the engine all dirty ever again.
Think I'll give it a try myself next oil change...

I wouldn't want the liability. Poop happens, and even if 70:1 is fine(I'm not saying it is), the first time an unrelated issue happens and a saw has to go back to the manufacturer, or a customer has a random unrelated issue 3 minutes after walking out my door, I don't want my fuel mix to even be mentioned as a potential source of the problem. Non-mfg spec fuel is begging for that. Purely from a customer service aspect, there's just no way I'd run anything else. Maybe not necessarily Stihl oil, but it would 100% be something that complies with mfg spec.

Thousands of small engines have gone millions of hours on Stihl orange bottle or silver bottle. Properly mixed Stihl oil is completely fine.

Same can be said for splash lubrication, Flatheads, drum brakes, and mixing 16:1 sae30. Yeah it worked and it was safe but thankfully innovation happened and we moved beyond that mentality that just because someone somewhere said it was unnecessary, that it was a bad idea.

People have been using opti2 @70:1 and 100:1 for many many years and its proven itself to be a very good mix oil. Once it leaves my shop they can dump waste motor oil and naptha in the tank...i dont care, id prefer they not but people will run what they like...thats fine. Im not going to try and sell anyone here on changing old thinking...i learned what..14 years ago that people on here are afraid of stepping outside of their comfort zone...and i get it. Hell i love charging people to pull their muffler screens and burn the carbon off every year, because they are running too much oil. I love pulling the mufflers off echo trimmers to scrape the literal wall of carbon off the port so it will rev again. Yall run as much oil as you like...

Back