Stihl Motomix smells disgusting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone see all of the nasty extra smoke in these vids? 40:1 dead dinos and Dolmar synth.

You can even hear how rich this is.

Maybe the "good" oils have to be mixed so thin because if they're put in at normal ratios they make a mess...

I suspect running regularly at part throttle is just as much or more of a contributor to carbon than what people are burning.

Anyone see all of the nasty extra smoke in these vids? 40:1 dead dinos and Dolmar synth.

You can even hear how rich this is.

Maybe the "good" oils have to be mixed so thin because if they're put in at normal ratios they make a mess...

I suspect running regularly at part throttle is just as much or more of a contributor to carbon than what people are burning.
Maybe inferior oils are recommended to be mixed heavy because the manufacturers dont trust them any thinner.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

You should pick up some mains from the same spot you got the top end for your 350 and run 'em on the shop mix. For science and stuff. Make sure you don't rinse them out first either.

You should pick up some mains from the same spot you got the top end for your 350 and run 'em on the shop mix. For science and stuff. Make sure you don't rinse them out first either.
I dont understand "pick up some mains from the same spot...." You mean bearings? My bearings are fine.

I’ve been running Stihl motomix in my FS40 weed wacker since new. Got extra year warranty if I bought three cans. I use it in my Eskimo ice auger too for the convenience of the small cans. Use it in my Stihl BG 50 blower too, same deal with the warranty. Lately since I have not needed it much I run it in my Stihl 026 chainsaw. Last year I went through a big jug of Aspen fuel.
Yes it may smell differently but outside you don’t notice it much.

Stihl HP Ultra is a very high quality product but seems to be ridiculed on these forums because of the smell. HP Ultra is a vegetable based ester lubricant derived from palm kernel oil. This is what gives it the unique odor when being burned. Being vegetable oil based, the ester (trimethylolpropane) delivers very favorable biodegradability and a naturally high viscosity index. The oil has no stabilizers added (since 2017) nor does it have any diluents mixed with the base fluid (not diluted).

The only drawback to this type of lubricant is that is does not burn as cleanly as a heavily additized polybutene based lubricant and therefore is only rated JASO-FB based solely on cleanliness. Unfortunately, the base oil is rather expensive which seems to cause heartburn in the OPE industry. Trimethylolpropane is used in industrial applications including gearbox fluids and aerospace fluids. I personally love the smell of the oil but don't use it regularly because of cost.

Stihl HP Ultra is a very high quality product but seems to be ridiculed on these forums because of the smell. HP Ultra is a vegetable based ester lubricant derived from palm kernel oil. This is what gives it the unique odor when being burned. Being vegetable oil based, the ester (trimethylolpropane) delivers very favorable biodegradability and a naturally high viscosity index. The oil has no stabilizers added (since 2017) nor does it have any diluents mixed with the base fluid (not diluted).

The only drawback to this type of lubricant is that is does not burn as cleanly as a heavily additized polybutene based lubricant and therefore is only rated JASO-FB based solely on cleanliness. Unfortunately, the base oil is rather expensive which seems to cause heartburn in the *** industry. Trimethylolpropane is used in industrial applications including gearbox fluids and aerospace fluids. I personally love the smell of the oil but don't use it regularly because of cost.
I do tend to see abnormally high deposits on trimmers and small saws that run it, vs other brands. I was told years ago by 2 separate dealers that the 4mix would fail and not be warranteed if hp ultra wasn't used exclusively, that the cam would wipe out or strip...and honestly that still seems to happen regardless.

Might just be me, but if I had dropped a two stroke machine off to a "repair shop" and found out they had been running it on a fuel ratio out of spec with the original manufacturers recommendations for their own satisfaction- it would not only be the last time I set foot in said "shop", I would also make damn sure everybody knew they were doing so.
Do you know what you are talking about? A manufacturer’s recommendation on fuel to oil ratio is compliance with a piece of paper due to environmental regulations. Newer saws can run a wide range of fuel:eek:il ratios safely.

Latest posts

Back