Stihl MS 210C-BE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badpig

Reaction score
Bought my first chainsaw this weekend, a Stihl MS 210C-BE. I need it for small to medium limb cutting and just keeping my backyard greenbelt clear from over growth. Lot's of small saws out there to choose from, but the Stihl stuck out due to the fact they are only sold and serviced exclusively at Stihl dealerships not in a box stores such as Sears or Home Depot. Any opinions on my purchase over the Echo's or Husky's? Is it true or rumor the small Husky's are built by Poulan? Dan

Actually, I Think Husky owns/builds poulan. But I'm not 100% sure either. Stihl's home owner quality saws are still better than any poulan, or any other saw available at home depot, lowes, sears, etc,etc. And if they are not (makita fans are going to bite my head off), at least you know that stihl is not embarassed about the saw since they don't paint it a different color, and strike a deal with walmart to buy them by the thousands. stihl's home owner line is still only sold at stihl dealers, that says something i think. (Actually, stihls are going to be sold at most any john deere dealer soon, and we might see a green and yellow stihl someday, so I might have to eat my words).

Any ways, Congrats on the new purchase, I'll give a some advise for a first time saw owner.

Clean the air filter after the end of each day of use.

Keep the chain sharp and tensioned correctly, lots of info on here about chain sharpening, and I think stihl has good info on it in the owners manual.

Use 89 octain fuel if its cold enough to need a jacket while you work, and 91 if its not, or use 91 all the time, but don't run 89 octain on 90 degree days

Use only stihl brand 2 stroke mix, or husky, but thats usually hard to get at the stihl dealer. Also, Stihl bar oil. Yes good bar oil makes a difference.

If you might not use the saw for a couple months, empty the tank, then start the saw, and let it idle dry (never throttle hard on it while doing this, it will reduce the life of the saw a lot)

If you might not use the saw for months, like 6 months is a good mark, also, pull the spark plug, and put about a tea spoon of your 2stroke mix oil in the spark plug hole, pull the rope a few times slow, then put the plug back in.

THIS IS REALY IMPORTANT!, and lots of new saw owners seem to make this mistake alot.. If you notice that you don't have the HP that you normally have, the saw starts bogging out in a cut, STOP, and figure out why. Saws never (ok, all most never) start running so rich that they loose lots of power in the cut. 99% of the time they are to lean. there is a lot of reasons why a saw can run lean, DON'T force your saw to work in this condition.

Welcome to AS! (I am also a new member) Use the search feature on this site, it works great. Don't hesitate to ask questions, AS members will try hard to help.

Wow!

OK enough with the Husky in the box store bashing. You Stihlheads really have a convoluted idea about perceived quality.
Your POS plastic saws are no better than the Husky POS plastic saws . . .however at least with the Husky POS saws you don't have to pay full retail at a dealer - - -and then only get a ONE year warranty - - - at least with Husky it's TWO years! Heck with the Husky purchase at the box store if you have a problem you can take it back and exchange it . Try that at your Stihl dealer.
I don't think either brand has a lot to crow about when it comes to their respective low end homeowner saws.

Dan -BTW good luck on your new 210, hopefully it will treat you well!

Al :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I kinda knew I'd hit a nerve with the Stihl vs the world question...lol sorry 'bout that. Just wanted feedback on my purchase. Thanks to all.

It's a legit question, BP. The 210 is a popular model and seems to serve everyone pretty well. Regarding the low end Husky vs. Stihl question, you'll probably get a different answer from everyone you ask. My guess is that its more of a model to model issue than a brand to brand issue. The low end models get somewhat of a bashing around here, but that's to be expected from folks who make it a daily habit of comparing saws. I have had good luck with the low end models of both brands.

And, yes, there has been a relationship between Husqvarna and Poulan over the years. It's changed too often for me to remember how it stands rght now, but I believe that there are factories out there that make both brands under one rooof. I know my little Husky 41 has a lot of Poulan parts on it. Having said that, the saw has treated me well.

Nice choice...take care of it and it will take care of you. Run Stihl Ultra mix oil at 50:1, keep the air filter clean, and keep the chain sharp.

Happy sawing!!!:clap:

Congrats!!!!

Thats a nice first saw for around home use.....Hope you have alot of enjoyment outta it..

Bought my first chainsaw this weekend, a Stihl MS 210C-BE. I need it for small to medium limb cutting and just keeping my backyard greenbelt clear from over growth. Lot's of small saws out there to choose from, but the Stihl stuck out due to the fact they are only sold and serviced exclusively at Stihl dealerships not in a box stores such as Sears or Home Depot. Any opinions on my purchase over the Echo's or Husky's? Is it true or rumor the small Husky's are built by Poulan? Dan

Th two cheapest (not smallest) Huskys has been built by Poulan sinse about 1990, and still are (it started with the 36 and 41, and the 235 and 240 at the moment).

Last edited:
Back