Stihl MS 261 available next month in Germany

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husqvarna raised the cc's on the 346 to get it over 50cc because it couldn't meet the emissions standards for saws under 50cc. The small saws had to meet the standards in 2008 and the big saws in 2011

So old and new:

260 pro 3.2hp 10.6 lbs
261 pro 3.8hp 11.5 lbs
361 4.4hp 12.3 lbs
362 4.6hp 13.0 lbs

Seems like the 261 is getting a little too close to 361 weight.

I was afraid the 261 would be heavier. But nearly a full pound heavier? That's a 8.5% increase in weight. That's a deal breaker for me. What's the purpose of a smaller saw if it isn't to be lighter. I'll stick with my proven 346.

i would not get too excited about the weight of this new saw. i am sure stihl has done its home work on this model and it will be awesome. the 260pro is a great saw,the 261 will only be better. i would be shocked if this saw was over 11lbs. i wouldn't think it would be as heavy as the 270/280,as it will be a full pro style construction.

No sign of a MS261 in the US, this thread "origins" from Germany...:)
the 261 is being built in VA.BEACH as we speak,just like the 311,391 were available over seas before they were here. the euro emissions demanded those saws there before here i guess???

I was afraid the 261 would be heavier. But nearly a full pound heavier? That's a 8.5% increase in weight. That's a deal breaker for me. What's the purpose of a smaller saw if it isn't to be lighter. I'll stick with my proven 346.

Oh Phooey Brad...I bet it walks all over a 346XP. :)

Someone enlighten me...
Now you need to unscrew the top cover with a screwdriver in order to clean / check/ change the air filter?

I thought the mantra here was "tool-less?"

They could have at least used a large flip-cap to hold the top cover down.:laugh:

Seriously; what gives here? Are the Germans prejudiced against the Swedes snap lock cover because they didn't think of it first?
-br

Someone enlighten me...
Now you need to unscrew the top cover with a screwdriver in order to clean / check/ change the air filter?

They could have at least used a large flip-cap to hold the top cover down.:laugh:

Seriously; what gives here? Are the Germans prejudiced against the Swedes snap lock cover because they didn't think of it first?
-br

:agree2:
:cheers:
:hmm3grin2orange:

I am not a fan of the 346/353 or 357/359, but they do have the best top cover design out there. If the 261 cover is like the 362 it is not much slower to release.

Last edited:
In 2011 and beyond the chainsaw game will be a one horse race.

And Husqvarna and Dolmar will sitting in the bleachers wonder "what happened?"

The last I heard about Husqvarna was they bought Redmax because their equipment met the epa standards for 2010, don't quote me on this though, due to I don't remember where I found the info.

Someone enlighten me...

-br

Is barely a 1/4 turn to loosen the screws on my ms362! I use a screwdriver to snap up the flip locks on my 346 also! and i think the most people do,so at least for me the husky design isn't "toolless" either! to remove the topcover is the same time on both the 362 and the 346(for me it is) and i even think it's a little faster to put it back on the 362 than the 346! but that's me! the ms261 is the same design as the ms362 so.........

Is barely a 1/4 turn to loosen the screws on my ms362! I use a screwdriver to snap up the flip locks on my 346 also! and i think the most people do,so at least for me the husky design isn't "toolless" either! to remove the topcover is the same time on both the 362 and the 346(for me it is) and i even think it's a little faster to put it back on the 362 than the 346! but that's me! the ms261 is the same design as the ms362 so.........

:agree2:

Its not a problem. I always have my sqrench with me any way.
- and I don't care much for the tool less chain tensions systems, I prefer bolts and nuts.

So just like the 362, the 261 is going to gain a lb. From 10.6 to 11.5 and gain .6 bhp. from 3.2 to 3.8 bph. Not to mention a considerable fuel savings over the 260 and with better air filtration and AV.

Stop me when I get to the bad part.

Considering my 084 AV weighs 31lbs. with bar and fluids, .9lbs is not going to be of much notice! JJuday

The weight gain is significant for those of us who work aloft....

Of all my 3 cube saws, my 488 Shinny is the lightest. But it is slower than my 5100's and 346's. All have been woods ported. And, the Slinger 346NE is and always will be the go to saw among the bunch....that is, till I get another one, from him, or maybe Timberwolf....

I only ever ran bone stock 026's---it's been over 10 years, and was underimpressed. But, if I had a ported one that was close to as fast as the 1/2 lb heavier old 346, I'm sure I'd love it. As for the new 261, no chance would I ever want one, not when it's prolly as heavy or more so than the 5100.

Back