Stihl MS 261 available next month in Germany

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 346s are much faster than a 260, no comparison stock.

I am hoping to like the 261. If reports are good I may have to get one.

I am a little surprised Stihl went with .325, though. And in my neck of the woods that means .063 which is too bad.

Easily converted.

I passed math and English.

You will notice that many of the models you listed had earlier models get the name in that class. I love it that many of the models are called within .1 cu. in. of the displacement, yet you say that it has nothing to do with it. The math is my side on this one.

A "rule" that applies only sometimes is not a rule, imo.....:givebeer:

A "rule" that applies only sometimes is not a rule, imo.....:givebeer:

Are you drinking?

Did you not see where I said Loose in the first post on the matter. I never said rule. You are just in the mood for a scrap, and I am done with this one...:cheers:

So you are selling him a used saw? :jawdrop::jawdrop:

He has to run it beside his 346 first.:hmm3grin2orange:

11.5lbs and 3.8hp, looks like the 11lbs 3.7hp 346 was just demoted to #3.:cry: The 346 was in the middle for weight while the 260 was the lightest and 5100 being slighty heavier. I don't think a .5lb difference will matter much.

He has to run it beside his 346 first.:hmm3grin2orange:

11.5lbs and 3.8hp, looks like the 11lbs 3.7hp 346 was just demoted to #3.:cry: The 346 was in the middle for weight while the 260 was the lightest and 5100 being slighty heavier. I don't think a .5lb difference will matter much.

Rated max hp is far from the whole story, as you surely know! :cheers:

Mmmmm, an acknowledgment of potential inexperience and a challenge all wrapped up in one. But Saw Troll doesn't accept challenges unless they are online. He is, after all, a troll. And Mr. Big Troll, with 4,393,488 posts, doesn't strike at lures as small as mine. :D :D

I usually do acknowledge my own inexperience first because it's mine and a lot easier to see! No challenge here, just want to see real woods comparisons not spread sheets from company sales depts. To think that every 260 Pro off the line is putting out exactly 3.2 bhp. is German style wishful thinking! I could give a few examples of how that is usually the exception and not the rule, but you get the point. Sometimes you just get one wound a little tighter.

What is really needed is a Nebraska Test for chainsaws! JJuday.

Easily converted.

Yes, but it means a little more hassle talking the dealer into selling to me with a different bar or PHO. Am running more than enough different reels of chain these days.

In terms of the power, if it's got the fatter powerband of some of the other stratos, it might make up for some of the extra weight.

I love my 346s, but would not mind another 50cc saw with a little more mid range grunt. And although the 346 runs really clean, a bit less smoke and smell is always welcome too.

Also it gives me a small Stihl that I can run all my stihl bars on. I have an 026, but once I bought a 5100 then a couple 346ne(s) I don't run it anymore.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd miss the simplicity of the 346 caps. I don't hate them like some do, but I don't love them either.

Last edited:
346 vs. 261

You are all comparing the 346 vs. the coming 261 but thats a bit like comparing apples to pears.

In Europe all +50cc saws has to meet high emissions standards in 2011, thats why we'll be seeing a lot of new model from both Stihl and Husqvarna in the next year and a half.

So for sure there will be a 50cc 5??xp Husqvarna to be in the market at the same period as the 261. We are at the moment comparing a saw on its way to the market with a saw on its way from the market.

Lets see what specs a new stratocharged 50cc Husqvarna has and then make the comparison.

You are all comparing the 346 vs. the coming 261 but thats a bit like comparing apples to pears.

In Europe all +50cc saws has to meet high emissions standards in 2011, thats why we'll be seeing a lot of new model from both Stihl and Husqvarna in the next year and a half.

So for sure there will be a 50cc 5??xp Husqvarna to be in the market at the same period as the 261. We are at the moment comparing a saw on its way to the market with a saw on its way from the market.

Lets see what specs a new stratocharged 50cc Husqvarna has and then make the comparison.

Maybe all true, but the reality is that for some time to come the decision for many here will be made on a comparison of the 261 to the 346NE and perhaps the 5100.

In a couple years we'll compare the 261 to the 346RNE (really new edition).

Most of the small stratos I've run (have't run a bigger one yet) have bars that rapidly jump up and down slightly when running (like the 435 and the RM 4000) and I don't care for that. I was impressed with how quiet the 211 bar was at all rpms and so I'm hoping for the same with the 261.

Last edited:
Maybe all true, but the reality is that for some time to come the decision for many here will be made on a comparison of the 261 to the 346NE and perhaps the 5100.

In a couple years we'll compare the 261 to the 346RNE (really new edition).

:agree2: Of cause you are right - for the moment thats the decision. But I'm very sure that wont be for long. The 441 and the 575xp came at almost the same time. I think that the same will happen now.

:agree2: Of cause you are right - for the moment thats the decision. But I'm very sure that wont be for long. The 441 and the 575xp came at almost the same time. I think that the same will happen now.

I don't know about the European 2011 emmissions regs, but I am told here that the 346 runs clean enough to be allowed for a bit longer with just adding the cat muffler (etech model).

The 372 and the 440 which the 575 and 441 "replaced" were not particularly clean running saws. The 346 is pretty impressively clean (from an user perspective anyway) for old technology compared to any of my other saws.

I do realize that any stricter emission or vibration regs in the UK or anywhere else end up in the saws here eventually.

Last edited:
Back