Stihl MS 261 available next month in Germany

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saw sales

Here in pa a good friend of mine ownes and sells husky and dolmars just chainsaws out of his pole barn all word of mouth all the loggers use this guy he is a chainsaw wiz he has said his sales of chainsaws has been up in the past 2 years alot more people are burning firewood here in pa becuase the gas and oil had went up sky high and we just had a 30percent electric increase and next year another 15 percent increase the guy cant keep saws on the shelf and heh as them stock piled and everytime im in there there is a new saw going out the door what a business this guy has just word of mouth

BRYAN EQUIP is to have 6 demo models for dealers to use by mid may. the extra power will be nice,but i am sure it will weigh more than the 260pro. i am sure if it is anything like the 362,it too will be a homerun for stihl.

So just like the 362, the 261 is going to gain a lb. From 10.6 to 11.5 and gain .6 bhp. from 3.2 to 3.8 bph. Not to mention a considerable fuel savings over the 260 and with better air filtration and AV.

Stop me when I get to the bad part.

Considering my 084 AV weighs 31lbs. with bar and fluids, .9lbs is not going to be of much notice! JJuday

So just like the 362, the 261 is going to gain a lb. From 10.6 to 11.5 and gain .6 bhp. from 3.2 to 3.8 bph. Not to mention a considerable fuel savings over the 260 and with better air filtration and AV. Stop me when I get to the bad part. Considering my 084 AV weighs 31lbs. with bar and fluids, .9lbs is not going to be of much notice! JJuday

Potentially good points. But no one is listening. Well, they are listening carefully to themselves. It's really just a dog and pony show for the few, the proud, the sardines. :D :D

Sure it looks good, but the specs point more at a replacement for the 280, than for the 260! :givebeer:

I don't know any info confirming this, but weight and power wise it's almost the same as the MS280. Problem will be having a 65cc 4.4hp MS391 for 529$ on the shelf and then this new MS261 which will I imagine 569$ +/-, and explaining why the smaller saw is more money.

Yeah, listening carefully and pondering. Those are just stats I threw out there not real woods experience. It is nice to see that Stihl is going all out to improve the 260 pro. I have never held let alone looked at a 346 in the flesh but I have never bought into the stat induced frenzy that it was head and shoulders above the 260 Pro just because the 346 had .5bhp more.

Don't get me wrong stats are great if you need a good idea of what to look for in a saw, but they don't replace balance, fit and finish, ease of operation, ruggedness ect. Maybe if I could run a 346 I could find out once and for all what I was missing........Hey Sawtroll........Are you going to be using yours in the next ohhhhh say 3 to 5 weeks? If not I'll send you my address so that I can evaluate it next to a stock 260 Pro.And I promise I'll feed it nothing but premium and Amsoil synthetic. And at night it can sit by the stove next to Ugly Betty the 084! LOL! JJuday

Don't get me wrong stats are great if you need a good idea of what to look for in a saw, but they don't replace balance, fit and finish, ease of operation, ruggedness ect. Maybe if I could run a 346 I could find out once and for all what I was missing........Hey Sawtroll........Are you going to be using yours in the next ohhhhh say 3 to 5 weeks? If not I'll send you my address so that I can evaluate it next to a stock 260 Pro.And I promise I'll feed it nothing but premium and Amsoil synthetic. And at night it can sit by the stove next to Ugly Betty the 084! LOL! JJuday

Mmmmm, an acknowledgment of potential inexperience and a challenge all wrapped up in one. But Saw Troll doesn't accept challenges unless they are online. He is, after all, a troll. And Mr. Big Troll, with 4,393,488 posts, doesn't strike at lures as small as mine. :D :D

I surely miss some model numbers that I mentioned earlier on his list, and there still are several "misfits" - I guess there may have been different opinions on the system, within the Stihl system.....:confused:

Try these for starters;

"064 5.2 85.0 52 40 6.5 4.8 15.2 - - 2,400 12,000
066 5.59 91.6 54 40 6.8 5.0 - 1 1 2,500 13,000
066 M 5.59 91.6 54 40 7.2 5.4 - 1 1 2,500 13,000

075 6.77 111
076 6.77 111
084 7.44 122 60 43 8.2 12,000
090 6.47 137 66 40 8,000
"

I passed math and English.

You will notice that many of the models you listed had earlier models get the name in that class. I love it that many of the models are called within .1 cu. in. of the displacement, yet you say that it has nothing to do with it. The math is my side on this one.

LOLOLOLOL, good one, LOLOLOL

Funny thing about ole Mr.Stihl. As long as his name is on the saw with that little R in a circle he does indeed call the shots. I doubt though he makes model decisions at the supper table, I hear he doesn't like to be interupted while eating and he hates guys who wear Husqvarna t-shirts, he's known to slap a can of wup azz on one guy for that huh Blood?????

Tommy I want to hear that one.:)

The 346 is going to be blown away. The 346 I ran didn't cut any faster than a 260; it can't hope to compete with the 261.

My 346s are much faster than a 260, no comparison stock.

I am hoping to like the 261. If reports are good I may have to get one.

I am a little surprised Stihl went with .325, though. And in my neck of the woods that means .063 which is too bad.

Last edited:
So anybody seen 2K? I think he may be planning a trip across the pond to sneak one back home :)

He'll be getting the first 261 that comes in my door, done deal. Lucky for me I get to fire it up and give a go a few times in the log before I tell him its in,haha

I will be interested to see what kind of feedback these saws receive. I was just at the dealer on Friday, and asked him about he 261. He didn't seem to know when they would be coming in. Nice looking saw from what I can see of it!

I too will be interesred in a 261.Really like that class of saws. May be awhile though, My dealer still hasn't seen a new ms362:confused:

I don't know any info confirming this, but weight and power wise it's almost the same as the MS280. Problem will be having a 65cc 4.4hp MS391 for 529$ on the shelf and then this new MS261 which will I imagine 569$ +/-, and explaining why the smaller saw is more money.

Always been that way. In the past it was easy for me to explain...do you want junk or a saw that will last :)

With the improvements made to the 391, that'll make it tougher for the homeowner/landscaper. For the Tree guys, it's still an easy sale.

Back