Stihl MS 261 - What To Buy Next???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you are new, I would keep the chain you have on it and spend the time learning to keep it out of the dirt and learning to sharpen it before investing in more chain. You are in the PNW, so chain is cheap there and easy to come by when the time is right. That saw likely won't need skip chain unless you do plan to run it with a 20" bar or happen to bury it in a lot of fir(skip is not only just for bar length, but also to clear chips while keeping the revs up). Otherwise, I would spend as much time with your more experienced bud to get some pointers. If that saw came with 3/8, stick with 3/8. Most of the wood in the PNW cuts perfectly fine with a 3/8 on a 50cc saw.

And I think 3/8 is a little easier to sharpen when first learning.

A set of MS 361 R dawgs, and a MS 441 R C-M chip deflector helps scratch the upgrade itch a little bit...

On a MS 260 PRO, but you get the idea, fits a MS 261 the same.

79FBE641-F5E4-455A-9104-62A2EF3469E3-11409-00000FCE8A5D9E96.jpg

I just got a ms 261 not to long ago also. I like it that saw is more than most than home owner need. I did get the dual spike kit cause I like it. I also turned up the oiler all the way up, I like mine. I also I like to mod muufler cause I like it louder. but the bl snelling mm looks good also. and be careful.

Another happy MS261 homeowner with some questions. My saw is stock and I haven't felt the need to do any upgrades (yet) since I only cut ponderosa and Douglas-fir. But I did trash the chain catcher and my Stihl dealer sold me the wrong replacement part. Bailey's doesn't carry them AFAICT. Any other sources or options?

And what's the deal with the 20NK "Narrow Kerf Revolution" that Bailey's is hyping? They are claiming it gives a major power upgrade for only $30 (bar and chain) and even stays sharp longer than .325. Snake oil?

Another happy MS261 homeowner with some questions. My saw is stock and I haven't felt the need to do any upgrades (yet) since I only cut ponderosa and Douglas-fir. But I did trash the chain catcher and my Stihl dealer sold me the wrong replacement part. Bailey's doesn't carry them AFAICT. Any other sources or options?

And what's the deal with the 20NK "Narrow Kerf Revolution" that Bailey's is hyping? They are claiming it gives a major power upgrade for only $30 (bar and chain) and even stays sharp longer than .325. Snake oil?

I would think you can get the dealer to supply the correct chain catcher. It should be the aluminum one that has a screw through it.

I saw the NK offering from Bailey's. It makes sense to me that it might be a little faster if it's a little smaller with a narrower kerf. But power upgrade? No. You'd have to do something to the power head to increase power of the saw. Buy some good files instead and sharpen the chain you already have well, and you'd accomplish the same or better efficiency of the saw, IMHO..

.....What else should I consider besides to go out and use it lol.

THANKS

Congrats on buying a great pro saw! I have a 261 as well and it's an awesome little saw. I usually use a 16 or 20" on mine.

How experienced are you with a chainsaw? What to get next?

I'd vote for a full set of protective equipment - Chaps, good hearing and eye protection, and a helmet. Make sure you use it too! Just last week I had a friend get 40 stitches across his thigh. He didn't want to take the 2 min to put on his chaps. Accidents can happen fast.......

Next, make sure you are using non-ethanol gas, and quality oil for your mix. Keep your mix fresh, and drain your saw if your not going to use it for a few weeks or more.

Your bar and chain are fine. Don't get hung up on .325 or 3/8" chain, or safety/non-safety chain. Again, if you are not experienced, the green safety chain is fine for now. After you get more time on the saw, then you can think about moving to non-safety chain.

If it were me, I'd forgo the saw porting and hot rodding, and instead think about saving for a bigger saw next year (especially if you wind up needing to cut down some larger trees now and then). If your a Stihl guy, a 461 with a 28" bar would be the cats meow. Your 261 will get stronger as you break it in, too.

Have fun.

I'm just up the road from the OP

DSC_7471.jpg

Just a simple MM will do wonders for the MS 261 and retune

DSC_7475.jpg

I also have 20" 3/8's b/c for mine with a 18" 3/8's b/c on it most of the time

Congrats on buying a great pro saw! I have a 261 as well and it's an awesome little saw. I usually use a 16 or 20" on mine.

How experienced are you with a chainsaw? What to get next?

I'd vote for a full set of protective equipment - Chaps, good hearing and eye protection, and a helmet. Make sure you use it too! Just last week I had a friend get 40 stitches across his thigh. He didn't want to take the 2 min to put on his chaps. Accidents can happen fast.......

Next, make sure you are using non-ethanol gas, and quality oil for your mix. Keep your mix fresh, and drain your saw if your not going to use it for a few weeks or more.

Your bar and chain are fine. Don't get hung up on .325 or 3/8" chain, or safety/non-safety chain. Again, if you are not experienced, the green safety chain is fine for now. After you get more time on the saw, then you can think about moving to non-safety chain.

If it were me, I'd forgo the saw porting and hot rodding, and instead think about saving for a bigger saw next year (especially if you wind up needing to cut down some larger trees now and then). If your a Stihl guy, a 461 with a 28" bar would be the cats meow. Your 261 will get stronger as you break it in, too.

Have fun.

The MS 261 after modding it's really close to the 60 cc saws (there are several threads saying that here on AS) going to a MS 461R is the trick (I know someone here on AS that has done that :) )

OH YEAH; OP get rid of the safety chain I like using RSLHK in clean wood

A set of MS 361 R dawgs, and a MS 441 R C-M chip deflector helps scratch the upgrade itch a little bit...

On a MS 260 PRO, but you get the idea, fits a MS 261 the same.

79FBE641-F5E4-455A-9104-62A2EF3469E3-11409-00000FCE8A5D9E96.jpg

Adding more weight on an already Heavy 50cc saw isn't something I will recommend, but each to his own....:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back