Stihl MS 291 burnt out after 1 hr

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take your saw to another dealer and get a second opinion, if they both are the same then if I was you I would do one of two things.
1. order the parts and get it up and running.
2. part this one out and get a MS391 or MS362

Oh how did you call with Stihl go today?
i agree for a 362

A brand new saw, it should run perfect, wouldn't suspect anything else except a malfunction... something to consider. Just dogging the saw in can cause the clutch to slip and over a minute or two cause smoke to appear. A small amount of smoke wouldn't bother me, its exhaust, then holy hell, saws on fire..... I've cut a lot of wood and smoked a lot of clutches. Metal saws don't melt, but I've seen the old man light a smoke from a hot clutch and any old school logger will tell you... always carry a spare clutch with you. 14-16" wood doesn't seem like much, but dogging in can cause clutch slippage on just about any smaller saw. With the tollerance 's of today's saws and plastic parts/pieces, that heat is transferred to the plastic pretty fast. A slipping clutch builds a lot of heat, closed off by plastic... you get a heck of a mess fast. Chain moves easily after it was shut down, no brake left on...

Just thinking.

I think this may a more likely scenario. No chain brake involvement, just hard work on the saw/clutch assembly that created a lot of quick heat and smoked it. Now was this normal usage that would qualify under the warranty? I felt that I was using the saw within its capabilities and the chain was quite sharp. The chain was brand new and had not been sharpened after the first hour of use because I felt it did not need it.

Everyone else - all this is good info. Thanks for not making assumptions, that's all I ask.

As for my situation with Stihl, they have not yet returned my email. I am not initiating anything until I can get a person on a phone.

If it were me i'd bypass the dealer and get a second opinion at another.ifthat don't work contact stihl directly.do a review on the website and see if you can attach pictures.that should get a ball rolling.
Correct. after all theese the stihl will recoment you to solve the problem with your local dealer or with anyone dealer ( authorized stihl service ) that you prefer.

I think this may a more likely scenario. No chain brake involvement, just hard work on the saw/clutch assembly that created a lot of quick heat and smoked it. Now was this normal usage that would qualify under the warranty?

It's considered operator error. I know you don't want to hear that, but that's the way it is. A friendly dealer should help you out with parts and advice, some dealers are more than happy to profit off others mistakes.

Again take this as a learning experience.

No one will ever know exactly what happened.... With that being said what I find sickening is the $541 quote to fix the saw. That is more than a brand new 261 that will cut circles around the 291 and is more durable. Dude you need to find a different dealer!

I have seen first hand a friend took his new 291 on high idle , chain brake on and set it down to warm up . It ran for about 30 seconds that way . He decided he wanted to swap chains and shut it down . When he pulled the cover the plastic around the clutch was melted a bit and the needle bearing had lots of play . He decided to run it like that and it was all good for about 10 minutes . Now his saw looks just like the OP's saw . Once the needle bearing is melted the clutch will rub the brake band and make lots of heat .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen first hand a friend took his new 291 on high idle , chain brake on and set it down to warm up . It ran for about 30 seconds that way . He decided he wanted to swap chains and shut it down . When he pulled the cover the plastic around the clutch was melted a bit and the needle bearing had lots of play . He decided to run it like that and it was all good for about 10 minutes . Now his saw looks just like the OP's saw . Once the needle bearing is melted the clutch will rub the brake band and make lots of heat .

Seems very reasonable but not possible in this case because there is no way possible that it was even slightly caused by operator error. Only a scenario that results in warranty coverage will be considered by the OP.

Seems very reasonable but not possible in this case because there is no way possible that it was even slightly caused by operator error. Only a scenario that results in warranty coverage will be considered by the OP.
I used to help in a dealer and I may be wrong but I haven't seen something like that that wasn't operator error . But we won't know . You can analyze 1000 things looking at a saw in 2 mins. A few photos is about worthless in this case . I would want to see good photos of everything including the bar and chain . It's all speculation but I just can't see trashing a saw like that and not knowing something was wrong well before it got to that kind of damage

It's considered operator error. I know you don't want to hear that, but that's the way it is. A friendly dealer should help you out with parts and advice, some dealers are more than happy to profit off others mistakes.

Again take this as a learning experience.

What is wrong with you? Stop repeating yourself. You have stated your opinion for the 5th time in this thread, and I respectfully disagree. There is nothing more to gain here other than starting a flame off. This is blatant trolling and I have repeatedly asked you to stop.

If you're doing some serious saw work you need to buy a metal cased saw which is made for more continuous usage. I don't use a chainsaw that long at a time and a plastic saw is great for what little I do..I've seen a lot of damage like that on Stihl plastic saws, on Husqvarna saws the damage is around the muffler most often. It's not always operator error either, those clutches and mufflers get plenty hot enough to melt plastic if you use them long enough. I also had a Husqvarna saw that the brake band would contact the clutch even when the brake was disengaged.

West041- if none the operator centered scenarios explain it, what part are you saying malfunctioned allowing the repair under warranty?

I really am not sure. I thought it could be the bearing or a defective clutch but I really don't know.

Look, if I call Stihl and the techs there say that there is no way that this could have happened and I have been operating chain saws incorrectly for 20 years then I won't have any choice then to accept it, right? That's my problem.

I started this thread looking for a few alternative theories as to how this could have happened. I've taken a lot of crap on here and people are basically calling me either a liar in regards to my account of the incident or incompetent for allowing this to happen to a brand new saw.

I totally get that a lot of people on here think that there is no other alternative other than operator error here. That is fine, and we will disagree. But I will kindly ask all the smart asses and people making sarcastic cracks to move along to a different thread. If you have nothing useful to contribute other than hate and flaming then I would ask you to please go elsewhere and also, seriously take a good look in the mirror at what kind of person you are.

What is wrong with you? Stop repeating yourself. You have stated your opinion for the 5th time in this thread, and I respectfully disagree. There is nothing more to gain here other than starting a flame off. This is blatant trolling and I have repeatedly asked you to stop.
If your looking for knowledgable people to disregard the obvious and say this wasn't operator error it's probably not going to happen . It seems to me you looking for something that's just not there to take back to your dealer . Post some better photos and maybe there may be. But from what little we see so far , this isn't a defect valid of warranty claim

I've seen a few of these. I always ask the owner to do a couple of cuts with one of my saws: They were almost all the hesitant, careful type, cutting at half throttle (just getting the chain moving) and not at WOT. That will smoke any clutch and the plastic parts around it...

This would be helpful, except that is not how I operate saws.

That's fine. Is it too much for me to ask for people to not be arrogant pricks?
No not at all , you can ask ,but we are a pretty snarky bunch and you need to bring your big boy pants to the table . But I will say if you ask an opinion and get several of the same responses it won't serve you well to just say no you are all wrong .

Where the hell are the mods on this forum anyway? Doesn't anyone put a stop to the blatant trolling going on? Does anyone welcome new members around here? I promise you this will be my last thread the way things are going. The folks over at "Chainsaw collectors .se" are a lot nicer. I've been on a few other forums like hearth .com and mytractorforum and always had a good experience. I see many of the sarcastic and smart ass posters here are veterans of the forum. Good for you guys! What a great example you all set!
If you're already a member of and are happy with other forums, why are you asking your questions here with this group of roughnecks, clowns, and hooligans? To spare your feelings, maybe you should post the same question at one of your other sites. There's really not a lot of "touchy, feely", here.......you really have to have some pretty thick skin.

Your problem is super important to you, I get that. You feel slighted by your dealer and the Stihl rep., I get that too. But seriously, it ain't the end of the world. Lighten up, Cuz. It'll be ok. Fix your saw and keep on keepin' on, or buy another. Just please......stop crying about the responses that you asked for people to give you. Good day, sir.

p.s.
Welcome to A.S. :buttkick:

Latest posts

Back