Stihl MS 311 opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 311 is waaay too heavy for its power, and mostly plastic - but I guess it will do what it is designed for. ;)

391 and 362 also plastic, it's in all the new ones. just bought a new 311 last month, to hold over till I get the parts to fix my 032, and almost returned it because of the plastic, then checked out the 391 & 362 and same deal. happy with the 311, but if you wanna spend an extra couple hundred bucks, the 362's the way to go.

Last edited:
There are a lot of folks here who will tell you that you have to have a "PRO" saw to to any cutting. Not so in my opinion ( for what that is worth). I have had a MS310 for some time and it is the saw I pick up to do most of my cutting. It just works - every time. I have had the bar buried in oak and it just keeps on cutting. Really more of a factor of keeping the chain sharp than anything else. The 360/361/362 saws are nice - but is the $200 additional cost worth it? Not to me.

Hal

There are a lot of folks here who will tell you that you have to have a "PRO" saw to to any cutting. Not so in my opinion ( for what that is worth). I have had a MS310 for some time and it is the saw I pick up to do most of my cutting. It just works - every time. I have had the bar buried in oak and it just keeps on cutting. Really more of a factor of keeping the chain sharp than anything else. The 360/361/362 saws are nice - but is the $200 additional cost worth it? Not to me.

Hal
A lot of people impressed with there got to have a pro saw stuff.I have a 310 and love it.

had a 310 for a few years not long ago. Beat the snot out of it and it just kept on chugging. Muff mod really helped. The price i paid and what the saw gave me in return was a fantastic deal.

311 - 59cc 4.2hp 14.1 lbs $479
391 - 64.1cc 4.4hp 14.1 lbs $529
362 - 59cc 4.6hp 13 lbs $679

I bought a Stihl MS390 as my first "real" saw and it cut very well. I faced a similar decision back when I considered the 290/310/390/362 options, and I decided the small price difference between the 310 and 390 was like buying a factory hot-rod job for only $50. But the extra $150 to jump up to a 361 was a step that was too painful for me. So I bought the 390. In five years you won't even think about that 50 bucks and you'll have as much power as you can get for the same weight in that series of saws. So I say go for the 391.

However, if you stick around here and let CAD take over your brain you'll probably end up kicking yourself for not getting the 362. A lighter pro saw is more enjoyable to use, but either the 391 or 362 will certainly get the job done. It's largely a matter of aesthetics, a family sedan compared to a sports car type of feeling. And nothing is forever--I ended up selling the MS390 and buying WAY too many saws for my actual needs, but now I find it's a fun hobby that really doesn't line out according to wood gathered and burning needs.

Have fun making your decision, then go cut some wood!

Olyeller

Back