Stihl MS 362 - First report

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOOOWWWWWWW :msp_w00t:

Got the new saw out for 1/2hr today, just some light stuff, and it is scary fast/powerful - and the book says it develops max power in 5-10 tanks of fuel :msp_scared:

The fill caps are - different - but nice I don't have to put the screwdriver on them to make sure I don't hose myself down.

The tensioner is rougher than my last saw, but maybe 17 years will smooth out the rough spots :msp_wink:

The anti-vibe mechanism is a welcome upgrade, the 'play' in the saw will take some getting used to.

The compression release is a nice feature, I can drop start it even when cold (I know the book says not to)
QUESTION: What if I forget to engage the compression release and crank it over anyway - does something bad happen, other than a sore arm?

I did turn the oiler up, the 'E' setting isn't matching use to the fuel tank - didn't use much fuel either.

That's about it for now - the Sandvik 'Speed Tip' even though it's been hanging on the wall for 5 years is running just fine.

Love my 362 they are a good saw probaly the only Stihl I like anymore because of the flippy caps I am converting to Huskys.

I could see drop starting if you're in a forest fire or a house fire. Other than that, for the life of me, I don't get it. Experience sometimes brings bad habits but bad habits are imitated by those who don't have the experience. Thus disaster...

Hey all another newbie here, I also just got a 362 after running a Jonsereds 70e since 1982. So far I have run about three tanks of fuel through the 362, it sure seems like a nice saw, but am not so sure that it is as good as the 70e was when it was new. This thread is giving me doubts as to whether or not I made a good choice.

I could see drop starting if you're in a forest fire or a house fire. Other than that, for the life of me, I don't get it. Experience sometimes brings bad habits but bad habits are imitated by those who don't have the experience. Thus disaster...

I use to drop start eveytime until i got a 288xp w/out a comp release and that broke me of that! The only way i could crank it was to put it on the ground and put my foot in the handle and then the piston had to be just right or it would rip your fingers off!

Got it out for another 1 hour today - went almost thru a tank of gas, maybe, as I haven't seen the tank empty yet.

Cutting mostly dead, dry stuff, man that powder flies !!!! Cut three hangers/leaners today - one did something I totally didn't expect and missed me by a foot or so. One needed some serious cutting to get down, had to cut the butt 5 times to get it to fall out of the tree. The other one is still up there - I need to get a rope, no place to hide if it goes the wrong way.

The oiler is awful stingy (RedMax bar oil if it matters) - I turned it up again and use maybe 2/3 oil to gas ratio, I can live with that.

Power is really good, having a hard time not going full bore on the throttle - just 1.5 more tanks and I'll open it up :D

PLEASE don't run your new saw at 1/2 throttle. Saws tend to run lean at partial throttle. The correct way to break it in is to run it like you intend to use it. The only thing not to do is to rev it to wide open and hold it for extended periods. Stick it in the wood and pull hard on the trigger. I promise you it won't hurt it.

As for the oil- don't get caught up in the ratio thing. If you are seeing oil sprayed on the stump when you hold the tip close, you are getting enough oil on the bar.

:hmm3grin2orange: You may have created a monster :hmm3grin2orange: I haven't been running half throttle, just not 100%, maybe 75-85%.

I read in the book something that those on here might clarify:

De-Coke at 139Hrs, then every 150Hrs - Dealer or can I do it? Is it physical or chemical?

I'm currently using up the last (equiv 3 gallons left) of Amsoil Mix Oil (I run a slightly generous 50:1); I have the regular Orange bottle Stihl Mix (equiv 6 gallons) on the shelf; should I give that away and move to the Full Synthetic Stihl (Grey Bottle)?

And yes, I am getting some tip spray, I'm not hosing the world down, but it might be with what I am cutting it's sucking it up, when I get to the live standing stuff I might have to cut back.

Last edited:
Its funny that with all of your chainsaw "Experience" no on ever showed you proper starting technique...

There simply in no need to "drop-start" a saw...not only is not good for plastic starter parts...it can be quit dangerous...

I guess we don't define drop starting the same way then - of course you shouldn't pull harder than needed to start the saw, and never let go of the handle/handlebar....

I'm currently using up the last (equiv 3 gallons left) of Amsoil Mix Oil (I run a slightly generous 50:1); I have the regular Orange bottle Stihl Mix (equiv 6 gallons) on the shelf; should I give that away and move to the Full Synthetic Stihl (Grey Bottle)?

Yes. The synthetic is superior, whether it's Amsoil (my longtime go-to small engine mix oil) or Stihl Ultra.

:hmm3grin2orange: You may have created a monster :hmm3grin2orange: I haven't been running half throttle, just not 100%, maybe 75-85%.

I read in the book something that those on here might clarify:

De-Coke at 139Hrs, then every 150Hrs - Dealer or can I do it? Is it physical or chemical?

And yes, I am getting some tip spray, I'm not hosing the world down, but it might be with what I am cutting it's sucking it up, when I get to the live standing stuff I might have to cut back.

50:1 of either synthetic will be fine, and you probably won't need to worry about de-coking.

It sounds like your oiler is set about right.

+1...What SawTroll and nmurph have said...Run it WOT while in the cut..!!

Anything less and you are doing more harm than good...:msp_sad:

IMHO...you're way over thinking things trying to be cautious.

You're not breaking in "Your Father's Oldsmobile"...!!!

Correct procedure for breaking in a 2-stroke is almost the opposite of a 4-stroke..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Hey all another newbie here, I also just got a 362 after running a Jonsereds 70e since 1982. So far I have run about three tanks of fuel through the 362, it sure seems like a nice saw, but am not so sure that it is as good as the 70e was when it was new. This thread is giving me doubts as to whether or not I made a good choice.

I had so-so doubts for a while. When the saw became broken in, those doubts went away. Give the performance part some time.

The filter system, however, could have been done better. I'd bet some of these guys have seen way worse filter systems but the point is, for a PRO saw it SHOULD have been something to marvel, not something that is less than to be desired.

I'm going to the shop to have them check it out. Everyone should, as others have already done.

Probably get brow-beat for this, but...
Amsoil and the stihl ultra are great stuff, but it'll take forever to seat those new rings. Might try a couple gallons with the orange bottle to get things nice and seated. That's what a dummy like me does. Speeds things up a bit. Then run all the full syn you want.

Glad you like the new saw.

Hey man, if you decide to sell it let me know. :msp_biggrin:

Yea I always run a saw full out from the first tank of fuel. IME, saws that arent broken in full throttle dont run as good as saws that are.

Im around 15 tanks on my 362 and its getting better each time. Ive ran Stihl Ultra since new and Haven't had a problem. looking forward to getting a RSC chain and seeing what it can really do.

Enjoy your new saw.

Cheers

I had so-so doubts for a while. When the saw became broken in, those doubts went away. Give the performance part some time.

The filter system, however, could have been done better. I'd bet some of these guys have seen way worse filter systems but the point is, for a PRO saw it SHOULD have been something to marvel, not something that is less than to be desired.

I'm going to the shop to have them check it out. Everyone should, as others have already done.

In regards to the filter, don't you find it ironic that part of the selling point of the saw is the air filtration system... Lol... My dealer installed a very thin o ring in between the carb and the filter base as we both noticed saw dust getting around it at this point. The o ring really seems to have helped so far at the carb. I'm still going to put some sealant around the filter as I can still see some passthrough.

On another note, aside from the filter I absolutely love the saw! Flippy caps and all.

Like others have said, once you get some fuel through it, it really opens up! I was cutting with some buddies the other day and they kept commenting on how great the saw ran. I always run it WOT, have since I bought it. Also run the Stihl ultra synthetic oil, works great and has a sweet smell to it. :)

Like others have said, once you get some fuel through it, it really opens up! I was cutting with some buddies the other day and they kept commenting on how great the saw ran. I always run it WOT, have since I bought it. Also run the Stihl ultra synthetic oil, works great and has a sweet smell to it. :)

Very true...it doesn't have the standard 2 cycle smell at all.:msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back