Stihl MS-441CM or MS-461 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The speculation is kind of pathetic, and takes away from good information from the threads. Kind of reminds me of an arm chair general.

He may, but the Stihl bashing really gets old after a while, like a couple of posts. He detracts threads time and time again. He is on these forums, 24/7. When does he ever cut any wood? Maybe he could grab hold of a Stihl 441 CM or a 460 and head out to the woods, use the saw, and report back to us with his findings? That would make more sense than the constant negativity. It would also give him more credibility. Turn over a new leaf in a new forest please.[/QUOTE

I respect ST as a person, and yes Andy, he's been here a hell of a long time, much longer than me, but this constant BS he spews has become more frequent, when is right to bash a saw a member just bought and is proud of. His opinions are like a broken record it is obvious he has never run half of the equipment he bashes, it's part of the European superioty complex, I been there and expierencied first hand, we're just a bunch of dang Yankee's that liberated their continent and knocked up there women, there is a miniority who don't exhibit this behavior but most do. It's obvoius that more and more of the new members have seen through the arm chair opinions and aren't going to keep their mouth shut. I obviously like my Stihls, for more than one reason, they mfg in the US, and I have the best dealer support a man could ask for, but I also would be open to running Husky given the same deals and support as well as Dolmar.
It's gotten to the point were respect is waning. Hell I proud of the guy who saved up enough to buy a 199.00 Poulan to keep his family warm, we all didn't start out with top end pro saws, not does everyone have the need for one. Give a man credit for just buying a saw and gettiing out and cutting his own wood irregardless of brand. I'd bet everything I own my little 028 has cut many more cord of wood than ST has ever thought about cutting, sometimes silence will earn a hell of a lot more respect.

well said

Maybe you have inferiority complex, you sure like hearing your own voice.

Nope, no inferiority complex, just respect what a guys wants or buys, heck, I'd be proud to own sny of your saws. I'm just saying each to their own, we all have different brand oppurtunities in our areas and some brand dealers are better in some locals supporting their brand. Relativly low post count for the time on here. Sorry if it offended you.

I have been running a 441 myself with a 20" bar for typical cutting, or a 25" when needed for felling bigger stuff. I'd buy a longer bar if I ever need one. I guess what it comes down to is -- do I sell the 441 to my buddy and get the 461 for myself, or keep my 441 and he buys a new 441. This is a real twisted case of CAD, obviously, but how can I refuse when these situations drop in my lap.

The 441 has done fine for me, but the new 461 is intriguing. I am interested in setting up an Alaskan sawmill for pine and poplar, and that has me thinking the 461 would be a little better. As far as vibration, I like how smooth the 441 and my 261 are, and probably wouldn't want to take a huge downgrade there even though I only cut on weekends for the most part.

So with no complaints about the 441, I guess the question is whether the extra power and capability of the 461 is worth a tradeoff of more vibration, more cost, more fuel. Well, that, and it's also a new model and carries some allure… Not much allure in my life anymore, so I gotta take advantage of it...

I suggest that Stihl could have put M-Tronic on the new MS461 if they wanted to as they have control of the new technology now but there was a good reason they did not.

Exactly what that reason is only they know.

As yet we have not seen M-Tronic on anything over about 70cc from Stihl so maybe there are other limiting factors we don't know about.

I suggest that Stihl could have put M-Tronic on the new MS461 if they wanted to as they have control of the new technology now but there was a good reason they did not.

Exactly what that reason is only they know.

As yet we have not seen M-Tronic on anything over about 70cc from Stihl so maybe there are other limiting factors we don't know about.

Or is it because if they put M-Tronic on the 461.... they would not sell many 441s and are using the 461 for the market of "old schoolers" that do not want to adapt to today's modern technology.

I'm betting the 661 will be M-Tronic. I'm curious if it will have a non M-Tronic option though?

Or is it because if they put M-Tronic on the 461.... they would not sell many 441s and are using the 461 for the market of "old schoolers" that do not want to adapt to today's modern technology.

I'm betting the 661 will be M-Tronic. I'm curious if it will have a non M-Tronic option though?

Yes, that is another question again. Do Stihl really need two 400 series models anyway...?

Maybe and maybe not, I don't have a marketing degree. I don't know which option would be more financial beneficial to the company.

Normally I have found that technology trickles downwards from the biggest most expensive models to the cheaper offerings.

It is quite mysterious why Stihl has chosen to upgrade their model line up in reverse order if in fact that is what they are planning to do.

Not saying they are as I don't know what the new 600 or 800 series will have and those that do and not going to comment in an open net forum.

Yes, that is another question again. Do Stihl really need two 400 series models anyway...?

Maybe and maybe not, I don't have a marketing degree. I don't know which option would be more financial beneficial to the company.

Normally I have found that technology trickles downwards from the biggest most expensive models to the cheaper offerings.

It is quite mysterious why Stihl has chosen to upgrade their model line up in reverse order if in fact that is what they are planning to do.

Not saying they are as I don't know what the new 600 or 800 series will have and those that do and not going to comment in an open net forum.

Stihl has been messing around with the internals of the 660/066 over the years... just nothing hugely noticeable to the average guy.

As for the 880, Stihl updated it a couple years ago so it will be around for a bit

Stihl has been messing around with the internals of the 660/066 over the years... just nothing hugely noticeable to the average guy.

As for the 880, Stihl updated it a couple years ago so it will be around for a bit

Yes, agreed.

I was mainly talking about their newish M-Tronic technology which they could throw on all of their saws tomorrow if they wanted to.

Providing of course there was no technically prohibitive reason they could not.

There might very well be a valid and genuine reason why this technology is not immediately adaptable to engines over 70cc.

If you look at Husky's offering this would validate this hypothesis.

How can you say ST "likely" knows more than him about saws?? Nobody knows who knows the most about anything anybody knows w/o knowing what that somebody "likely" really knows! Know what I mean, or do you just know what ST "likely" knows, or thinks he knows w/o knowing who knows more than he does? I bet I "likely" know the answer!

Agreed, it is pure speculation to hypothesise as to what someone else in fact does or doesn't know.

I don't even know what I probably should know most of the time. :msp_thumbup:

I had an MS441 standard carb saw,and also have an MS460. There is a noticeable difference in power, however you can buck with the 441 all day and feel fine. Not possible with the 460.

I keep the 441 with a 20" bar and a 25" on the 460. And the 460 will still out cut it.

However my local still dealer just offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on either a 441 Mtronic or a new 461. I traded the old 441 in for an m-tronic one, but have yet to use it.
Sometimes power is not everything if you have to take a day off to recoup from the vibes.

Lifting this thread from its past existence. I have run both a 441 and a 461, I sold all the 441's not because they're a bad saw, but I don't like the look or feel of them. The anti vibe is great, as in the air filtration more so than the 461. In previous comments someone said the 461 feels more natural, and this is extremely correct in my opinion. The 441 pulls a 28" with authority, not a 32". The 461 pulls a 28" and 32" with authority, and a 36" well in soft wood. I put a dual port on my 461 and it really helped out. A lot louder but the performance increase is noticeable. 461 is my personal beast, I'd pick my husky372xp over a 441 all day long. I only keep saws that put a smile on my face and oil the bars I want them to.

My ported 441R C-M is definitely my go to saw. With a 20" I run an 8 pin in any wood (could pull more in softer stuff, so I get to really crank on it). Most of the time I run a 24" Sugi, and either 7 or 8 pin depending on the wood and/or my mood. I usually go 7 pin on 28", but seldom use it as the 24" Sugi is so perfect on that saw. I sold my stock 460 because it was weak compared to the ported M-Tronic. For comfort, power, convenience, and just fun/mean attitude, I LOVE my 441.

Latest posts

Back