Stihl MS-441CM or MS-461 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my 441RCM It wears a 25" bar mostly. I have a 660 with a 36" for big stuff. The 441 is super smooth and a pleasure to run
0374660e4e6dccd725f3d96bec031894.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ported 441R C-M is definitely my go to saw. With a 20" I run an 8 pin in any wood (could pull more in softer stuff, so I get to really crank on it). Most of the time I run a 24" Sugi, and either 7 or 8 pin depending on the wood and/or my mood. I usually go 7 pin on 28", but seldom use it as the 24" Sugi is so perfect on that saw. I sold my stock 460 because it was weak compared to the ported M-Tronic. For comfort, power, convenience, and just fun/mean attitude, I LOVE my 441.

When funds permit, I will get back to you on a ported 461. I've only seen videos of them and they scream. I've seen 441's ported and yes they do scream too. That Sugi looks AMAZING! 24"? I just love the look of the 461 and how it performs for my tasks. It's definitely got more low end grunt than a 441, maybe not a ported 441 (clueless on that cause I haven't used one) but I like a saw where I can stop it in the cut, look around for the tip, check my escape route if needed, and not have to exert myself to get a 32" bar rolling again. The 441's I used have more top end, but I noticed they get hung up easier in pitchy wood. Ported saws achieve a whole new level of power increase so like I said I don't know but the stock and dual port 441's I used I had to finesse the saw more so than my 461. That 441 is a sweet, clean looking saw man. Wish I had the money for a sugi too.

IMG_0859.JPG
Seems like you love em or hate em. They are super smooth but a little heavy.
I'm not a guy who picks sides. If it's a good saw, it's a good saw, enough said (saw troll take notes). I'm also a young guy who hasn't realized what vibration is yet, except with an old Troy built weedwacker I have haha. I like the 441, but I just like the 372 more that I picked up at Cash America for $350!!!

When funds permit, I will get back to you on a ported 461. I've only seen videos of them and they scream. I've seen 441's ported and yes they do scream too. That Sugi looks AMAZING! 24"? I just love the look of the 461 and how it performs for my tasks. It's definitely got more low end grunt than a 441, maybe not a ported 441 (clueless on that cause I haven't used one) but I like a saw where I can stop it in the cut, look around for the tip, check my escape route if needed, and not have to exert myself to get a 32" bar rolling again. The 441's I used have more top end, but I noticed they get hung up easier in pitchy wood. Ported saws achieve a whole new level of power increase so like I said I don't know but the stock and dual port 441's I used I had to finesse the saw more so than my 461. That 441 is a sweet, clean looking saw man. Wish I had the money for a sugi too.
Thanks Eric, I that 24" Sugi was brand new in that pic and I had spent a lot of time cleaning up the saw when I was putting the new bar on. I'm sure a ported 461 would hand mine it's arse, but I still prefer the perks the 441 offers, such as spring av, awesome air filtration, and the ease of starting and always in-tune that M-Tronic provides. I'd love a ported 461 for "play", but hands down prefer the 441 as a go to.

Thanks Eric, I that 24" Sugi was brand new in that pic and I had spent a lot of time cleaning up the saw when I was putting the new bar on. I'm sure a ported 461 would hand mine it's arse, but I still prefer the perks the 441 offers, such as spring av, awesome air filtration, and the ease of starting and always in-tune that M-Tronic provides. I'd love a ported 461 for "play", but hands down prefer the 441 as a go to.

I can agree with that, no questions asked. I have a ported 441 c-m, and a ported 461, both built by the same builder. 441 is smooth, and the filter does stay clean longer, I will give it that, but in the power department & low end grunt, the 461 just shines! Hands down.

Wait for the 462 ;)

Pass, I doubt a 462 or whatever it's going to be, will have much a 461.

Springs, and a bunch of extra wires and m-tronic, over complicating things. To keep it in the EPA regulations.

Ain't trying to be a crabby ole coot, but them 462 look like a bloated 362, that sure ain't good, IMHO

I bought into the hype when the last stihl latest & greatest saw, came out a few years ago.....I ain't getting on that boat again.

461 FTW!!

Latest posts

Back