STIHL MS 500i Oil Mix Ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can laugh at it all you want, but it works and works well. Just because you like the WalMart cheapo, does not mean that there is not a better product. You obviously have no experience with it, or you would know that. If you read, I said that I run what the book calls for, although, 100:1 works just fine. There is zero reason to run richer than 50:1. Your money, your time, do what you want, but don't bash quality products.

At 51, I wouldn’t really call myself an old timer. But of the hundreds I’ve been into, 50:1 isn’t enough. It’s fine on smaller old school engines, but not on stratos or bigger saws if you want the bearings and crank to last
One is not old,

until his pecker stops working...

You can laugh at it all you want, but it works and works well. Just because you like the WalMart cheapo, does not mean that there is not a better product. You obviously have no experience with it, or you would know that. If you read, I said that I run what the book calls for, although, 100:1 works just fine. There is zero reason to run richer than 50:1. Your money, your time, do what you want, but don't bash quality products.
If it works just fine why not run it at 100:1?

I havent fouled a plug in anything I years.
Never had a fuel filter plugged up by anything except dirt, saw dust, etc.
more oil means cooler plug temps requiring them to be changed more often from sediment not fully burning off
sediment in the filter will filter out some oil from the gas concentrating it in the tank and can even lean out the saw
just changed a filter today that was filtering oil from the gas mix due to sawdust buildup, dosent take much and the carb will run the saw just fine. you can tell its happening because the bottom leftovers in the fuel tank after running 3-4 tanks in a row is oil saturated compared to fresh mix.

Never ecem
more oil means cooler plug temps requiring them to be changed more often from sediment not fully burning off
sediment in the filter will filter out some oil from the gas concentrating it in the tank and can even lean out the saw
just changed a filter today that was filtering oil from the gas mix due to sawdust buildup, dosent take much and the carb will run the saw just fine. you can tell its happening because the bottom leftovers in the fuel tank after running 3-4 tanks in a row is oil saturated compared to fresh mix.
Never in my life have I seen a fuel filter remove oil from pre mixed gasoline. I believe what you are seeing is oil separated from the fuel by ethanol.

I hate to get mixed up in an oil mix thread but I am old school and mix my oil pretty heavy average probably around 32-1.Now this what I can not for the life of me figure out.With my heavy mix say 16-1 posters claim all the oil does not get past the filter and the gas mix that does get past can not all get past the high speed needle so my saw is lean on oil and heavy on gas .Why then does it smoke.As the gas in the fuel goes in the jets the oil that can not pass threw must continue to build up in the line and also in the tank because the filter is stopping a percentage there.Every time I open the tank or remove a fuel line I never see any oil built up.
I run lots of old outboards with 8-1 mixes and they have really good very fine sinitered bronze fuel filters and I never see oil build up or the motor seizing up because it was running lean because I put lots of oil.The motor just happily motors along with very light smoking compared to the heavy oil it digested 80 years ago.
Kash

I hate to get mixed up in an oil mix thread but I am old school and mix my oil pretty heavy average probably around 32-1.Now this what I can not for the life of me figure out.With my heavy mix say 16-1 posters claim all the oil does not get past the filter and the gas mix that does get past can not all get past the high speed needle so my saw is lean on oil and heavy on gas .Why then does it smoke.As the gas in the fuel goes in the jets the oil that can not pass threw must continue to build up in the line and also in the tank because the filter is stopping a percentage there.Every time I open the tank or remove a fuel line I never see any oil built up.
I run lots of old outboards with 8-1 mixes and they have really good very fine sinitered bronze fuel filters and I never see oil build up or the motor seizing up because it was running lean because I put lots of oil.The motor just happily motors along with very light smoking compared to the heavy oil it digested 80 years ago.
Kash
That’s why there are adjustable jets. Your mix contains less fuel so you open the jets to let more fuel in. The benefit is it also lets that much more oil

Thanks for the prompt reply.I have older snow mobiles with fixed high speed jets if I mix the oil heavier than recomended by the manufacturer will part of the oil be stopped by by my fuel filter and also to a greater degree by the non adjustable fixed high speed jet.If this is fact I could see some serious oil pooling and heavy build up in the tanks and lines also motor running lean on oil but heavy on gas.
Kash

I will respectfully disagree with this comment.

I too will respectfully disagree and will carry on mixing my oil to the standards i have used for 55 years and if I ever see a filter clogged with mix oil or a fuel line stopped up with mix oil that can not get passed a high speed jet I will probably be in total shock and then I will consider my options.
Kash

Everything 2 cycle I have gets 20 : 1 , just tune the carb a little richer, and equipment lasts longer, just my experience.

Back