Stihl MS 661 delayed till 2015 in USA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to hear the 661 wont be a step down but i ll keep my old carbs no electronics. Id still like to see a 660 ran a agenst a 661 that has both saws set up the same. How do they do with a 36 inch bar is the oiler better?

The 661 has more than power than 660 was said earlier, are those 660's with a muffler mod or dual port and retuned or do they still have the pencil eraser muffler? Also, what would you think about the 661 against the flat top 066 (not necessarily red light just flat top with decomp valve?

Thanks man!

The 661 has more than power than 660 was said earlier, are those 660's with a muffler mod or dual port and retuned or do they still have the pencil eraser muffler? Also, what would you think about the 661 against the flat top 066 (not necessarily red light just flat top with decomp valve?

Thanks man!
Nop both saws both bone stock from the factory . to answer your question about 066 vs 661 do not have a no decomp 066 to try it out against .

I'm seriously considering selling my 066 Mag and buying a second MS660, er, I mean MMMS660 ;)

l have a minty 2013 MS660 with a sticker....and power is ok for what it is but l just don't get people who would buy a new 660. lf you have run a 441cm or 576xp or even a 390xp they are decades ahead in technology. A new MS660 on the shelf in 2015 is a con at best...they are essentially a 30+year old saw design. lf a 660 impresses you as a saw, my opinion is that you need to get some saws from this century in your hand. The 660 was great in its day three decades ago when people were used to running saws that gave users whitefinger. A 661 really has many upgrades and l'd imagine would feel so smooth to use where the 660 is as rough as guts. Porters can make em run but usually dont offer upgrades to AV, fuel delivery ect. Just my honest 2cents sorry if l offend anyone!

l have a minty 2013 MS660 with a sticker....and power is ok for what it is but l just don't get people who would buy a new 660. lf you have run a 441cm or 576xp or even a 390xp they are decades ahead in technology. A new MS660 on the shelf in 2015 is a con at best...they are essentially a 30+year old saw design. lf a 660 impresses you as a saw, my opinion is that you need to get some saws from this century in your hand. The 660 was great in its day three decades ago when people were used to running saws that gave users whitefinger. A 661 really has many upgrades and l'd imagine would feel so smooth to use where the 660 is as rough as guts. Porters can make em run but usually dont offer upgrades to AV, fuel delivery ect. Just my honest 2cents sorry if l offend anyone!

You haven't offended me :) I owned two 660's and sold them for 390XP's. Only bonus of the 660 is far better spikes (although the Husky HD spikes are pretty good) and the HD2 filter which thumps a Husky filter in fine dust.

Well I think you cant argue the durability and track record of the 66 line, plus ease of maintenance and carb tunability. Something happens in the woods, what are you going to do with autotune or m-tronic? And I am of the one to prefer the screw caps and not the flipys. Plus heavier plastic and thicker spikes. Yes the m-tronic and autotune is a leap in technology but everything else hasn't changed from some time. Not sure how the regular 576 or 390 is much different from the 2000 372xp that had air injection, quad ports, and advancing coil, and coil AV. I do agree that at least the 660 could have used an update like the 461 to quad port, and air injection would have been nice too. Didn't the old 288xp lite have options for rubber or coil mounts, why not have that in these saws? Mine has a mix of both. Old tech isn't always bad if its combined with newer tech, some of the new vettes and Camaros have great features, but still use pushrod motors not DOHC.

Too bad we don't still have the American companies around like Mcculloch who pioneered quite a few innovations like the all-position diaphragm fuel pump.

Well I think you cant argue the durability and track record of the 66 line, plus ease of maintenance and carb tunability. Something happens in the woods, what are you going to do with autotune or m-tronic? And I am of the one to prefer the screw caps and not the flipys. Plus heavier plastic and thicker spikes. Yes the m-tronic and autotune is a leap in technology but everything else hasn't changed from some time. Not sure how the regular 576 or 390 is much different from the 2000 372xp that had air injection, quad ports, and advancing coil, and coil AV. I do agree that at least the 660 could have used an update like the 461 to quad port, and air injection would have been nice too. Didn't the old 288xp lite have options for rubber or coil mounts, why not have that in these saws? Mine has a mix of both. Old tech isn't always bad if its combined with newer tech, some of the new vettes and Camaros have great features, but still use pushrod motors not DOHC.

Too bad we don't still have the American companies around like Mcculloch who pioneered quite a few innovations like the all-position diaphragm fuel pump.

I agree with him My 660 actual runs pretty smooth i ran it a day felt fine to me.

Figures the first be CA keep the tree hugging hippies happy

I like the idea..i think an updated jug and A/V system would have been awesome additions to a 660

Dude that is sweet looking saw, will have to sell off some others saws and pick this up, early Christmas present? Will have to convince the wife its a need, not a want. Too bad they don't have black Friday deals at the Stihl. Did you get the heavier duty dogs added on that? Those aren't what its comes with right? Also noticed the nice bar nuts with the flange, like my 038MagII, those are cool touch glad they kept those. Guess all the saws now are doing away with the nameplate on the cylinder cover/shroud, which I think would have been nice, at least they kept the magnum sticker. Remember back in the day they had everything on the nameplate, AV, EQ, Super, magnum, farmboss, woodboss

Dude that is sweet looking saw, will have to sell off some others saws and pick this up, early Christmas present? Will have to convince the wife its a need, not a want. Too bad they don't have black Friday deals at the Stihl. Did you get the heavier duty dogs added on that? Those aren't what its comes with right? Also noticed the nice bar nuts with the flange, like my 038MagII, those are cool touch glad they kept those. Guess all the saws now are doing away with the nameplate on the cylinder cover/shroud, which I think would have been nice, at least they kept the magnum sticker. Remember back in the day they had everything on the nameplate, AV, EQ, Super, magnum, farmboss, woodboss
The larger dawgs are standard issue.
The bar nuts are captive. Just like the 261

It seems that the silence on the MS 661 reflects that we need to not expect to see this saw in the US market until some time in 2015. (only 81 days left in the year)

Too bad we have to wait so long. I think it is best to accept reality and get on with our lives. Waiting in anticipation can end up being a waste of time. Sometimes it is much more efficient to accept that it won't be coming out any time soon and get on with life.
I'd just like to see how a 661 compares to a 395xp in terms of smoothness, torque and oiling. 90cc+ is a stumping saw for me. I could care less about cookies and have good saws for limbing/bucking. I don't particularly need one, but would like either of the above depending on the a/v and torque. Once you have 28-36" of bar buried in a Hedge tree, that separates the men from the boys.

Back