Stihl MS 661 having the bog blues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like rifles I go out to buy a SAKO or Weatherby, and by golly it better be a super fine above the rest firearm, which they are and I can attest to that. I now shoot rem 700 rifles because they are much cheaper, and you can tell the build is cheaper than the latter two brands. But the price difference is less than half so if the Remington is far from perfect I can live with that..

The m tronic isn't your problem it's a carb issue. Tell your dealer to **** in his hat. This is obviously a problem that stihl should take care of. Maybe stihl needs to trim there fat and get rid of antiquated old school dealers. Were not in 1998 anymore. We want stuff fixed and expect out to work for the dineros paid. Maybe they should get rid of your rep too. I don't know how you have put up with it so long if your a said "timber cutter logger arborist etc" . Being broke and making dumb decisions isn't an excuse when it's your source of income.

Even after all that I just pointed out, to most people it doesn't really matter, but to me spending 1400 bucks on a top of the line pro saw that will put food on my table, it damn better well be built near perfect. Were not talking about you average 700 dollar saw here boys

$1400 or $700, it needs to work from the get go.

Why not just quit being a pansy and run the 661 for dumping and limbing.

its hard to limb with it when it bogs every 5th limb. I a pretty quick limber and set a pace, when you have to break the pace cause the saw bogs it throws off your foot movement and you have to start from ground zero again. I think only westcoasters cutting conifers will understand what Im talking about, No offence to east coasters, different wood, different techniques

When Im bucking firewood I always make a cut then blip the trigger twice to keep the chain spinning between cuts then start my next cut. I produce a lot of fire wood quickly using this style, as long as the logs are pre marked for length. The 661 will sometimes bog when cutting this way.

I thought the 660 was snappy with a hellish good timber citing tune on it. Takes a touch to get it perfect. The 661 had it once it was broke in and is absolutely perfect ever since. Much better gas mileage than a 660. Running side by side cutting the same size timber about the same dammed way I can get about 2 more trees down and limbed per tank. That means allot when your packing in for a cutting session.

So husky took 3 carbs to cure the 562, how many is stihl gonna need, hopefully only one
So have they already tried installing a new carb or are they ordering one to try on your saw. I've been following along with this thread but only remember reading that they've tried a new boot.

The stihl pacific north west rep took my saw. What is going to be don't to it I haven't a clue. I told the tech to try a new carb but he said that he had the carb all apart and its all fine, and said he WILL NOT replace the carb. He then told me that us pacific northwesters have a weird way of running their saws and stihl has had problems with this in the past (in particular he told me about 046 mag problems). he said stihl isn't going to change the way the saw runs to suit our needs in the PNW

Latest posts

Back