Stihl MS 661 having the bog blues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funky you must just be a picky sob. Give the 562 a try and the 661. The 2100 and 288 are legends. But just can't compete with today's saws. What's your bottom dollar on the pair?

Yea im switching to echo and shindaiwa

only reason i never gave echo or shinny a chance was there lack of modern large saws. my buddy vern has an echo top handle that just won't die. think it's a 355T and he's been beating it for near 5 years now i figure. think he bought it from bailey's when they were on sale. i've borrowed it a few times and while i feel it's pretty gutless it's been dead nutz reliable under professional use and i don't recall him ever needing to repair anything on it.

I not impressed with the 2100 either, but when it needs service work I got a spare complete parts saw and have had many of them down to the crankshaft. And I know an old fart that has a bunch of NOS crankcase gaskets and pistons and so on. That means less down time for me and that is the FINAL LINE when it comes to brass tax

Just get a 390 and sell it on the trading forum every 2 years for 800. You got the power no vibes no electricity and be done...

There is no support for dolmar up here so thats out
Sounds like there's not much Stihl support either.lol. Maybe a set of Wiha tools from weedeaterman may serve you best. l gave up on dealers a long time ago. Warranty often aint worth the paper its written on. A set of tools and access to AS search feature could be your safest bet. A solid back up saw is an idea to.

Somehow, I stopped getting alerts on this thread (This site does it to me regularly). Wish I knew you were selling that 661 for that price! Someone got a great deal.

Glad they finally figured it out, a shame you had to move it along.

Now we need a saw that's as smooth and high speed as the 661 but is built heaver than a tank like the 2100cd. If I could find one, I would have a 285 with a 2101 thin ring jug and piston

why? the 2101 and 285 would be literally an ounce difference and then you wouldn't have the manual oiler. may as well just get a thin ring 2100. 2101 i believe never came with a thin ring top end and if i blind folded you to have you run a 2101 thick ring against a 2100 thin ring you wouldn't be able to tell me which was which because they both run good. myself, i think i'd be a stihl guy before i ran a 2100 again LOL

Latest posts

Back