Stihl MS 661 having the bog blues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl FTW

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

to be honest though, if i had to run anything 056/076/090 related again i probably wouldn't cut wood. i absolutely hate those old POS stihls. make the 2100 seem like the best saw in the world LOL

661 is in the shop. Again. This makes 5 times since December. The dealer is now going to call stihl and see if I can get a replacement. When it is running it's everything you want in a timber saw, it just doesn't run consistently for more than 3 days at a time. Bad hesitation off the throttle. Sometimes it won't start after you run it out of fuel sometimes it just won't open up to wide open. Has had I think 3 or 4 solenoids 1 new coil and most recently a complete carb swap. I'm glad I have 2 660s and an 066 to keep me going .

I checked that last week. Heck there aren't any washers at all in it. The DOM is 9/14 if that makes any difference.

Are all these 661 problems why they pulled it off the market?

I really am a prick. Was in the whiskey last night hence the late post LOL. I can be nice. Forgive my funky saw man. Funky saw man and I have had good conversations many times before. Was just getting riled up and stirring the ****. Didn't even realize it was him til this morning. Not used to that avatar LOL

You know what, this isn't the first time I've seen you apologize for being a prick and then blame it on the booze. Seems like a pattern with you.

This is an interesting thread and I think there is a lot to learn here even for guys who don't own Stihls. I know this was somewhat of an old post but you really need to quit DWSing (drinking while surfing).

You know what, this isn't the first time I've seen you apologize for being a prick and then blame it on the booze. Seems like a pattern with you.

This is an interesting thread and I think there is a lot to learn here even for guys who don't own Stihls. I know this was somewhat of an old post but you really need to quit DWSing (drinking while surfing).
If people stopped drinking and posting this site wouldn't exist lol

I've got a great dealer but they are just plain unable to figure out what's wrong. Hell I know more from this site about the m tronic system than there mechanic, not bashing him at all he's just not worked on many of the m tronic systems because they haven't had many in there shop with problems.

While I really like my old school 044s & 046, I like my new school 362 C just as much.

It is a shame when some people have tech troubles, but hopefully, they it gets worked out.

I also notice Funky likes the 241 C, so they don't all have problems.

No I don't think it's a problem with the 661s in general. I just got a turd. When it's up and going it's the best saw you could ask for for cutting down and limbing. Way better on fuel than the 660s and 066 too.

Are all these 661 problems why they pulled it off the market?
Not at all. It had to do with the topend. On the other hand, I have a good friend running one of the early ones with no issues. He runs it hard too. Keep in mind that on an enthusiasts forum, issues often seem worse than they are.

Latest posts

Back