stihl ms 661 or husqvarna 390xp for a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon is right though, you could buy a ported 2188 or 390xp from Terry for the same price as a new 661cm.
If I wasn't biased on brands I would go with the ported 390, it's an awesome saw from what I hear and see in vids.

But in my opinion, I like the way stihls are put together and how they feel. So it's 661 for me

If I wasn't biased on brands I would go with the ported 390, it's an awesome saw from what I hear and see in vids.

But in my opinion, I like the way stihls are put together and how they feel. So it's 661 for me
Blind folded I couldn't tell the difference between them besides the rectangular rear handle on the 390.

so from people that have used ( BOTH) WITH NO ISSUES ON BRAND NAMES these r the two saw im interested in

Not many will have used both saws extensively , since the 661 is pretty new. I only have about an hour on mine, but have a fair amount of time on the 390. Both saws are stock, except for a minor muffler mod on the 390.

To me, they are pretty close, but the 661 isn't broken in yet. The 661 seems to have a slight edge in torque, even now. Stihl has definitely caught up in the AV department, as the 661 is waaay smoother than my 066 and comparable to the 390. Weight PHO is within a few ounces. I measured 16 lbs 13 oz for the 390 and an even 17 lbs for the 661; both dry. Both of mine are wrap models, and are wearing 32" bars. My guess is that the 661 will have a bit more power across the board once it breaks in more. I have both Stihl and Husky models, and favor neither in particular. I will say the quality seems a bit better on the 661, but the 390 is a good machine as well. Around here, a 661 is about $90 more than a 390 - almost a wash.

Personally, I can't imagine having a 90cc as my only saw, but that is preference. I guess I'm getting into old coot range, and usually spend most of the time behind a 50 or 70 cc saw. You really can't go wrong with either one of your choices.

Latest posts

Back